kes

Cheers Bill and Derek for the kind comments. I have been painting and adding the prom lamp posts (P.D Marsh) and the signs to the station. I also painted and added the telegraph poles. Shortly I will start work on the harbour houses.

Also the photos show I need to straighten the posts before the glue sets!

Next week will see the town constructed, with a general shop somewhere along the front.

DSCF2488.JPG

DSCF2489.JPG

DSCF2490.JPG

DSCF2491.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The weather has made sure I stay inside for the last few days, so I have been busy printing and building some of the excellent Scalescenes buildings that are available. I have used their "Row of Cottages", and "Lock Keeper's Cottage" kits, with a few modifications. The walls are laminated cereal packets as I find this much easier to cut than 1mm or 2mm thick card. I have added brass window frames from Brass Masters, glazing from scrap packaging, and curtains from coloured paper. I still have to add down pipes and chimneys, but I did not want the details on yet as I can move the buildings around to check the visual arrangement without damaging them.

post-8779-0-87381900-1519810291_thumb.jpg

Kit of parts to make 3 sets of cottages with whitewashed walls with added windows and doors. The Lock Keeper's cottage which is going to be turned into the pub!

So back to the dining table to modify/assemble some more panels, one of which is going to be a shop front.

Kevin.

DSCF2509.JPG

DSCF2510.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 3

Here are two of the pairs placed to see what they look like - I need to add small outside loos behind them in the back yards. The barge boards are also missing at this stage

DSCF2514.JPG

DSCF2516.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 8

Due to the weather confining me to barracks, I have created a single cottage, a shop, and a small office from different bits of the Scalescenes downloads. The village is slowly expanding......

post-8779-0-79579300-1519914428_thumb.jpg

The harbour will be covered in flagstones once the buildings are all in.

post-8779-0-16879500-1519914447_thumb.jpg

The village shop

post-8779-0-59035500-1519914464_thumb.jpg

Two of the cottages

post-8779-0-26913900-1519914487_thumb.jpg

A ships eye view of the buildings

post-8779-0-94006800-1519914500_thumb.jpg

A seagulls eye view of the buildings.

• Like 6

Hi - I use a large Pritt Stick to glue the prints onto the card, and a very sharp blade to cut them out. I have used Brassmasters etched window frames glued in with contact adhesive applied with a cocktail stick, and the rest of the construction uses pva wood working adhesive applied with a small brush. The trick is to make sure there are no ripples in the printed sheets as you glue them down and to make sure your cuts are straight and accurate. They are time consuming to build in this scale, but the printed paper looks ok from normal viewing distance.

• Informative/Useful 1

I also use very thin acrylic paint with much water added, running along the seams and joins. It may take a few layers to blend it all together. The trick is to apply a coat, then let it dry out totally before adding another. I will eventually add a thin coat of brown using an air brush, to blend everything together.

I have now added some chimney pots made from slices of cocktail sticks painted appropriate colours. They totally change the feel of the buildings.

post-8779-0-65359700-1520330246_thumb.jpg

post-8779-0-02715700-1520330259_thumb.jpg

post-8779-0-34609700-1520330272_thumb.jpg

I must get around to making Fortune's Kipper Smokery!  It is going to sit up on the road out of the village.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have managed to sneak a few hours in on Sandy Bay whilst we are waiting for the kitchen units to be delivered at the end of the month. It is now in the shed, supported on blocks, on top of my O gauge railway in a very crowded environment! (with 5 other railways in N and O). I have glued down the buildings, and added a fence to stop the road vehicles driving of the edge of the scar. I can now add the flag stones to the harbour side.

Mickleover on the left upper, Pawson's Pickles, left lower, O gauge terminus right lower, Sandy Bay right upper, plus two other layouts, Five Arches and Matlock Road in the far corner! Mickleover still looking good and in working order.

DSCF2573.JPG

DSCF2574.JPG

DSCF2575.JPG

DSCF2576.JPG

DSCF2577.JPG

DSCF2578.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

The kitchen is finished, so I am back into layout-building mode, and more specifically my version of Fortunes Kipper Smokery. It is going to be called Neptunes Kippers and will be turned through 90 degrees so it is more visible. It will be made from the usual Scalescenes downloads, suitably cut and altered to suit my location.

Edited by kes

Today I built the kipper works! It involved much cutting of cereal packets and use of glue, but I think I have something that fits the bill. The down pipes are yet to go on -  I need to make a job lot out of 20 amp fuse wire for all the buildings.

DSCF2607.JPG

DSCF2608.JPG

DSCF2609.JPG

DSCF2610.JPG

DSCF2611.JPG

DSCF2612.JPG

DSCF2613.JPG

DSCF2614.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I am back off holiday, work will recommence on Sandy Bay. I constructed a couple of sheds/toilets to go behind the remaining houses whilst we were away, so they need siting.

Edited by kes
edit
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Right - finally got back working on Sandy Bay, and glued down the smokery and the sheds, and added quite a lot of clutter, also the street lamp castings, and the bollards along the harbour wall. There has been much shredding of the dreaded green foam to make more bramble hedges, and the scattering of flock powders at the same time.

My next job is to make up and print out the signs for the pub, shop, smokery and harbour office.

DSCF2719.JPG

DSCF2720.JPG

DSCF2721.JPG

DSCF2722.JPG

DSCF2723.JPG

DSCF2724.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 10

Today I took a little trip to TMC to get a few more details for the layout. I then made the down pipes for all the buildings out of 30A fuse wire, bent to shape, coloured with a black permanent marker and attached by smearing pva adhesive on the back face, then pressing them onto the building. The signs for the pub, shop, and kipper works were made up on the computer, printed out, and stuck on with pva. They will be weathered shortly. More barrels and boxes have been added behind the pub.

Maggie has made the curtain for the layout and attached the velcro, so shortly we will be trial fitting it. Tomorrow is the dreaded day - fitting the etched railings to the prom and the viaduct.

DSCF2727.JPG

DSCF2728.JPG

DSCF2729.JPG

DSCF2730.JPG

DSCF2731.JPG

DSCF2732.JPG

DSCF2733.JPG

Edited by kes
missing
  • Like 7