'New Colletts from Old'

8 hours ago, scratcher said:

A question on curtains prior to the Mk 1 style window replacements. Would the curtain rail have been between the main window and the pair of openers, or above the openers?  If it was above then it would interfere with the opening .... ?

Between, but **not** curtains — Roller Blinds were the order of the day.

See Russell's Coaches Appendix Vol 2 for contemporary photographs.

Pete S.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 29/04/2019 at 17:46, K14 said:

Between, but **not** curtains — Roller Blinds were the order of the day.

See Russell's Coaches Appendix Vol 2 for contemporary photographs.

Pete S.

Thanks Pete. I've been unable to find a H33 picture post-1934 but prior to getting the sliding window vents. The ones in Russell Appx Vol 2 (Figs 199-201) are all with sliding vents. I'd assumed roller blinds as you say, and in keeping with other diagrams in Russell, but then I noticed Fig 193 which shows the official photo of one of the H30/1/2 articulated sets (also built in 1925) after shopping in 1934. It has original windows and curtains.  Given H33 is same age, it seemed reasonable to assume a mid-1930s shopping at which point it may have acquired curtains?  It is of course easier not to fit curtains :) 

1 hour ago, scratcher said:

... but then I noticed Fig 193 which shows the official photo of one of the H30/1/2 articulated sets (also built in 1925) after shopping in 1934. It has original windows and curtains.  Given H33 is same age, it seemed reasonable to assume a mid-1930s shopping at which point it may have acquired curtains?  It is of course easier not to fit curtains :) 

Good spot. Your  H.33 notion could work too - just depends on shopping dates.

The Registers at York might hold some clues, otherwise I'd cite it as further confirmation of a saying of the GWS C&W Dept...

"Swindon Standardisation. What a great idea - shame they never put it into practice"

Pete S.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/01/2019 at 14:23, Coach bogie said:

Hammond produced them back in the 1980's. Here are four of them but there were several other diagrams produced. Some of these diagrams were later covered by 247 in the Errol days.

post-9992-0-75341100-1546797112_thumb.jpg

Hammond also produced most of the clerestory TPO diagrams.

post-9992-0-29131100-1546797198_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

I just picked up a couple of Peter K TPO etches.

Looking forward to having a play!

Should I be looking at Comet for underframe?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

I just picked up a couple of Peter K TPO etches.

Looking forward to having a play!

Should I be looking at Comet for underframe?

If it is the steel side Peter K etches, I had a issue with mine. It may have been corrected for later etches. The large section that forms into the recessed net door panel was short and left a gap. I had to make a new one. 

Although I have built the complete West of England train, I still have a couple of single TPO coaches that appeared in a few trains. For these I will be using the new Hornby Collett suburban coaches as a basis. There are a few alterations to the underframe, such as cutting back the footboards, but not an issue. They used the 7ft bogies and both 57' etc ..win win there. The end of the underframe can be filed back to conform with the flat end. The body can then be cut as required to make a flat ended 57ft. You are basically only using the roof.

It may appear an expensive way to do conversions but the suburbans have a major advantage over the others in that there is no roof water tank to remove. I have finished a K38 Ocean Mails van for a friend using this method and it only took a few evenings.

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Not sure if they are steel sides or etched brass?

Screenshot_20190512-151431_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190512-151359_eBay.jpg

They should be brass. The clerestory one is an odd ball as it only lasted in this form, with passenger accommodation a very short time.

You have the L19 etch (a few of us were undecided if it was an L19/20 or 21 but settled for L19)with the etch for the net bay too small unfortunately.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Daholmes19 said:

Here are the instructions for the Clerestory if you don't have them already.

Cheers

Dave

Woodstock Ontario

peterk1_(2).jpg

peterk1_0001_(2).jpg

Wow! Look at that list of parts suppliers - not many of them still in action. Kemp Models was my local shop for a few years when I lived in Brighton (Hove, actually).

• 10 months later...
On 24/12/2016 at 11:57, Miss Prism said:

John - the E78 is indeed a 'tri-bog brake compo', but it is not a Dreadnought, nor is it, strictly speaking, a Toplight. The etch is a Haye Kit. The E78 had guard's lookouts. Nice coaches.

What is it then, Russ Would I be right in thinking looking at the profile of the etches that it is a clerestory body profile with elliptical roof, like a C25?

(Reason I ask is that am looking at designing and getting printed another 70' coach, a brake compo and having done a C25 this might be achievable)

Thanks

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/12/2016 at 11:42, Re6/6 said:

Mike, l saw this and wondered if it was a 'Dreadnought' E78 as advertised. l was looking for a compo but this didn't look like a Dreadnought to me. More like a 'Tri Compo Brake' Toplight. My knowledge of D'noughts is rather limited!

post-6728-0-21779700-1482579670_thumb.jpg

This caught my attention whilst I was browsing the thread and I could do with some assistance if possible.

In the hope that no one minds, I'll move it to a separate thread titled E78 though as my questions relate to a kit build rather than being creative with a RTR Collett.

2 hours ago, Star-rider said:

This caught my attention whilst I was browsing the thread and I could do with some assistance if possible.

In the hope that no one minds, I'll move it to a separate thread titled E78 though as my questions relate to a kit build rather than being creative with a RTR Collett.

It is the Haye Developments etch for the E78. Not a Dreadnought. It stated life as a tri compo brake but soon reclassified as a brake compo,  and is unusual for a non clerestory in that it has a lookout .In the 1930's some had this plated over.  In the kit, this was supplied as a casting.

Mike Wiltshire

E77.jpg.6fb5d3ab30e46131c0300c062df2a99b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...