Benidorm - Denia line FGV Costa Blanca

Pete 75C

Thanks Mike. The last time I fed some change into the machines at Altea, I remember thinking it won't be long before the AP7 goes toll-free, but confess I'd completely forgotten about it. I didn't know about the Denia - Gandia section either. Ta for that.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Mike @Enterprisingwestern I’m surprised the Valenciana government hasn’t stepped in now to resolve matters.

I did think the Denia section around the station had been completed - ages ago?

Denia station has been integrated with the bus station, although I seem to recall an issue with the buses being to big to access it which needed resolving, and as you say, was completed quite some time ago in splendid isolation from the rest of the works being carried out, yet another example of the Spanish lack of joined up thinking.

As for the Valencia government intervening, it's not happening in Valencia City so it is of little interest or importance to them, and besides, why would they want all those country yokels cluttering up their beautiful city if a train service was provided.

The locals are complaining that since the tolls have been removed from the motorway, ALSA the bus operator, hasn't reduced the fares on the Costa corridor, and it is now cheaper to take the car if there is more than one occupant, which is in danger of removing potential customers from all forms of public transport, which confirms my previous observations.

Welcome to Spain!!

Mike.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pete 75C said:

Thanks Mike. The last time I fed some change into the machines at Altea, I remember thinking it won't be long before the AP7 goes toll-free, but confess I'd completely forgotten about it. I didn't know about the Denia - Gandia section either. Ta for that.

The section south of Alicante won't be toll free for another 24 years until the contract expires, so we have two levels of motorway pricing.

In true Spanish fashion, everyone on the tolled motorway wants it free like the northern section, and everyone on the free section wants it returned to charging because the businesses on the N332 are losing their passing traffic customers.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pb_devon said:

Mike,

some of the businesses I have observed (but have absolutely no intention of using) on the N332 are said to be the oldest in the world! ;)

Quite true, but you should them run after customers at motorway speeds , in stillettos as well!!

Mike.

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2020 at 17:31, pb_devon said:

Mike,

some of the businesses I have observed (but have absolutely no intention of using) on the N332 are said to be the oldest in the world! ;)

"Roundabout girls" - a "common" sight around Torrevieja.

Brian R

7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I have a few updates to post, primarily newspaper articles, but as I am currently stranded in your country and the articles are at home, it may not be any time soon!

Mike.

Yeah, I guess it's a bit of a swim... stay safe.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is an article in this weeks Costa Blanca news about the Denia line.

The stretch Calle to Denia remains closed with buses replacing trains.

In the article it says an amount in excess of €11.2 million is being spent on the improvements. 

When it reopens there will be 6 new diesel electric trains built by Stadler.

There are no details about when the work will be finished and the line opened again.

The article is not available on line unless you subscribe!

I can’t help feeling that it’s an old story. Surely the new trains have already been made and are ready to go. Perhaps FGV have only just realised the platforms need to be higher!

Lets hope it opens soon and people use the service (social distancing required of course)

Edited by Neal Ball
Removed photo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

In last weeks Costa Blanca news, there was an article about the Denial line from Alicante.

Work to upgrade the line is on-going on the Calpe to Denia section.... Apparently the new trains the company bought are too heavy for the viaducts on the line!

The latest estimate of when the line will fully re-open is now.... 2023!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This weekends Costa Blanca news has a report that part of the line will reopen early next year…. With the section into Denia opening in 2023.

There was a report a month or so ago, that there are ideas / plans of then extending the service to Gandia. Although the report noted nothing had been done for several years and the feasibility study would need to be done again!

Edited by Neal Ball
Photo removed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Busmansholiday said:

This was in one of the free papers in Benidorm last week, sorry about the quality, I had consumed a few beers.

IMG_20211217_213533.jpg.715910f10638d477109cec075fdb7aa6.jpg

Crazy that it’s been allowed to go for so long

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This seems to imply the railway will be open in full this summer…..

In reality it’s still another year away before the tram opens to Denia.

03E77D73-AE47-4DB6-91EA-8ABF4B110267.jpeg.7d380fadbf58ce9194386abe79a62567.jpeg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

I wouldn't rely on the follow up article being in Fridays proper paper Neal, I've fallen for that more than once!

Mike.

I thought it was still a year or so away before the line is open in full.

Of course it could be sloppy journalism…. Perhaps discounts are being offered this summer for the rail replacement service.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

I wouldn't rely on the follow up article being in Fridays proper paper Neal, I've fallen for that more than once!

Mike.

Of course it could be sloppy journalism…. Perhaps discounts are being offered this summer for the rail replacement service.

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2022 at 10:35, Neal Ball said:

The article from this weekends paper

edit 14/9/22 

Sorry I didn’t keep the original article. If memory serves me right, it was another article saying that €x was going to be spent on the last couple of viaducts.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...