Benidorm - Denia line FGV Costa Blanca

Pete 75C

I guess by the time it reopens, it will be 2 or 3 years since it closed?

Yes, I believe it was July 2016 that the Calpe-Denia section closed. As far as I'm aware, hourly buses have replaced the trains ever since.

I don't really know what the business model is for the line. Obviously, centres such as Benidorm, Calpe and Denia are ripe for tourism, but some of the intermediate stations are pretty remote. Teulada is in the centre of town, but the next station towards Benidorm, Benissa, is very much on the outskirts. Come to think of it, anyone pitching up at Calpe station with sun cream and a beach towel is going to be severely disappointed that they're still a 5 euro taxi ride from the beach! The more remote stations probably generate some local/student traffic and I assume the stations themselves are unstaffed to save on costs.

I guess we should be thankful the line survives. I can't help thinking that if there had been a Spanish version of Dr Beeching, he'd have swung his axe a long time ago.

I'd certainly look at paying a visit if the Limon Express was revived.

I recently moved to Ondara, near Denia, from South Africa where I was involved in private sector railways, particularly Rovos Rail and Sandstone Heritage. I've had some discussions with the local rail authorities and they are hopeful that the Limon Express will run again when the line reopens.

Relaying the line is proceeding well in Denia, using tram section rail, and a track machine has been busy at Teulada where the entire station layout has been relaid. It appears that the stations are being rebuilt in advance of relaying the main line.

Regards

Geoff Pethick

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

I was in Denia last week and observed that the station area track, plus about 1km, appeared complete with even signal aspects showing. However the track was disconnected across a temporary road junction, with nothing seemingly happening.

• Like 1

I was in Denia last week and observed that the station area track, plus about 1km, appeared complete with even signal aspects showing. However the track was disconnected across a temporary road junction, with nothing seemingly happening.

This link is a little out of date

https://www.rtnnewspaper.com/2018/01/denia-train-station-rebuild-finished-but-line-still-not-operational/

but elsewhere on the 'net it's widely reported that works on the line have overrun and any deadline to get trains back to Denia has gone out of the window. I know that the contract to provide buses has been renewed until December with the option to extend well into 2019.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is there an update to this? 

I know now we are talking about Spain and the usual “Manana” but it’s been 3 years since the Benidorm to Denia section closed.

We have recently moved out and think a trip into Alicante will be due soon!

6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Is there an update to this? 

I know now we are talking about Spain and the usual “Manana” but it’s been 3 years since the Benidorm to Denia section closed.

We have recently moved out and think a trip into Alicante will be due soon!

No one seems to know for sure but there are test trains running as can be seen on this guys Flickr stream.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lagunadani/

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Hi Neal

The first of the new trains as per the photos only arrived on Friday so too early for test runs yet. They are dual mode electric and diesel so can travel over the whole DEnia to Alicante network.

Looks like the line will reopen mid 2020 as main line renewal has only got as far as Teulada, although all the station areas have been relaid. It looks like rails are available but not concrete sleepersThe new layout at Denia leaves no run round facilities so my earlier hopes for the Limon Express may not come to fruition.

I'm in Ondara get in touch through geoffpethick13 at gmail.com.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

On the positive side, the once abandoned tunnel between Sangueta and Lucentum is now open, although the works aren't fully completed yet, a new line 5 is now open from San Juan to Luceros, Benidorm Interchamge station is now open and we've got a new metal bridge to replace a nice old stone one., so things are still ongoing, albeit at the standard Spanish pace.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

No through service yet, bustitution still reigns in the Garganes to Denia bit, the new diversionary tunnel outside Alicante is in use. A new staion in Benidorm at the bus station complete with extended OLE with the attendant closure of Disco Benidorm station. If you are mobile there are ongoing works and completed improvements to see.

The FGV website has reasonably good updates on it, and local newspaper sites have snippets here and there.

The Lemon Express still awaits it fate at the depot, but I can't see anything happening with it.

Mike.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
On 13/09/2018 at 09:01, pb_devon said:

So, 10 months later and I find exactly the same this week!

Edited by pb_devon
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

It seems to be caught up with the very typical Spanish Manyana approach

The problem is where manyana ends and couldn't give a sh!t begins, I'm currently having plenty of the latter with my Spanish "builders", I'm thinking a reverse Brexit might be called for, I don't like being taken for an idiot.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The problem is where manyana ends and couldn't give a sh!t begins, I'm currently having plenty of the latter with my Spanish "builders", I'm thinking a reverse Brexit might be called for, I don't like being taken for an idiot.

Mike.

Understand that feeling Mike.

i had the same with “reputable” Spanish builders on our bathrooms. Have since used English builders for other jobs and it was so much easier.

the problem with the Denia line is that it will be a state run project from possibly Valencia, going through several layers of bureaucracy. Plus the recent Spanish elections seem to have delayed everything. I understand a lot of new parties were elected and they have to find out what to do! All very different to the UK where the civil servants ensure continuity!

good luck with the builders.

Neal.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's great to stumble across this thread, as I have been an occasional traveller of the FGV over the last 20 years or so. My in-laws have a villa near Calpe, so we have been visiting almost every year.

The area gets into your blood after a while, so this year, we are moving the whole family out to Benissa - just need to sell the UK house and seriously downsize my model collection.

Looking forward to the Calpe - Denia section finally reopening. It is a superb bit of line and the prospect of through trains to Alicante again really adds appeal.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Captain Electra said:

It's great to stumble across this thread, as I have been an occasional traveller of the FGV over the last 20 years or so. My in-laws have a villa near Calpe, so we have been visiting almost every year.

The area gets into your blood after a while, so this year, we are moving the whole family out to Benissa - just need to sell the UK house and seriously downsize my model collection.

Looking forward to the Calpe - Denia section finally reopening. It is a superb bit of line and the prospect of through trains to Alicante again really adds appeal.

Good luck with the move.... it’s almost exactly 1 year since we moved over.... sailed from Portsmouth 8th Feb last year and the rest they say is history!

We we’re in Benidorm last week and the station looked busy, with a number of trams in. Ran out of time to go up there to ask about the Denia section.. Hopefully it will be open for this Summer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Electra said:

I don't know Benissa that well, but I did consider a townhouse there a few years ago as a bolthole. It needed work (as they say) but had potential. Good luck with the move.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Pete 75C said:

@Enterprisingwestern

Mike, anything on the local grapevine about progress towards opening up the next section of line?

Work and thinking about work plods on as ever.

Most of the easy bits seem to have been completed in typical Spanish fashion, it's the bits inbetween that are dragging on.

They are inviting tenders for the Altea to Denia stretch, which has been complicated by locals wanting to keep the original viaducts which are supposedly unsuitable and in need of complete re-building. Some sort of compromise seems to have been reached and forward movement is anticipated. In the meantime the bus service makes a totally inadequate rail replacement service, by the time the line is finished most of the intending passengers will have bought a car, so another white elephant is created. Bear in mind also that the AP7 is now toll free in our area, and that's another possible nail in the trams coffin.

There are also stirrings about re-opening the Denia to Gandia broad gauge line when the tram is finished to give the area a service to Valencia.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1