New Book on the Southern Region Class 71 & Class 74 Locomotives

slilley

I am pleased to be able to let people know that contracts are about to be signed for a book on the Southern Region Class 71 and Class 74 locomotives.

It will look at their construction, work, modifications, and withdrawal with many new photographs to illustrate the text. 

Research has been ongoing since 2014 using a variety of original sources and it is hoped that publication will be around September 2017.

Any information on both classes, and photos or other material which could enhance what has been gathered already will be most gratefully received.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

After much research and writing and re-writing, this afternoon I completed the manuscript for the forthcoming book on the Class 71s and Class 74s.

According to the little counter in the corner there are 56,677 words. I just hope they are all the right ones in the right order.

Just need to put the finishing touches to the photographs now.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

After months of grind and toil, my book on the Class 71 electric and Class 74 electro-diesel locomotives is done. The CD is burnt and going off to the publisher tomorrow. All being well it will hit the bookshops in September.

• Like 8

Brilliant. If it's a good as the one on the Boosters , I shall look forward to getting a copy.

Well thank you very much. I have certainly tried to match the quality. Plenty of new information on both types in it. I wont spoil it for you. 

• 1 month later...

Just to give you all an update, the Class 71/74 book has now reached the stage where it is awaiting design. Once done I will be getting a set of proofs to go through and check. That should be around early September so I am told.

Simon

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I must admit this is one book I'm looking forward to for obvious reasons.

Not inough info or good photographs / pictures available of both classes in my opinion.

Thank you for the kind thoughts. We have tried to include  plenty of previously unpublished photos. I spent a lot of time at the National Archives at Kew so there will be plenty of new stuff on both types. Just hope people enjoy it when it comes out. Proofs have not arrived yet incidently. Will keep you guys posted.

Best wishes

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

I've been advised that proofs could be with me by the end of next week. Crecy would like to get the book published in time for the Warley show at the NEC in November.

If that happens I would probably go up there on the Saturday, if anyone wants a signed copy lol!!

• Like 1

I've been advised that proofs could be with me by the end of next week. Crecy would like to get the book published in time for the Warley show at the NEC in November.

If that happens I would probably go up there on the Saturday, if anyone wants a signed copy lol!!

Hope the photos are better than some recent publications.   Charlie

• Like 1

Hope the photos are better than some recent publications.   Charlie

Agreed Charlie. There have certainly been a good number of titles released of late, especially of my favourite BR blue era. Buy as you say, the bulk of them spoiled by dire photographic reproduction.

Agreed Charlie. There have certainly been a good number of titles released of late, especially of my favourite BR blue era. Buy as you say, the bulk of them spoiled by dire photographic reproduction.

I have tried my best with the photos for both classes. I have tried wherever possible not to use images used previously. I am fortunate in that my wife is a dab hand with Lightroom which can do all sorts of wonders with quite mediocre pictures.

I'll soon know if we have been successful when the proofs arrive.

• Like 1

The text only proofs have now arrived from the publisher, and I have made a start on going through them making sure no gremlins have crept in. I know there are one or two queries to resolve. Fingers crossed I'll get that done in the next few days and it can go off to design.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heard this afternoon that the books have left the printers, so looks like we should be ok for release at the Warley MRC show at the NEC on Saturday.

Usual caveats still apply!!

Simon

Excellent news,

May i ask, as there is a little confusion at the moment, is this  "'southern way' special number 14"

Cheers

Dave