New Book on the Southern Region Class 71 & Class 74 Locomotives

slilley

Excellent news,

May i ask, as there is a little confusion at the moment, is this  "'southern way' special number 14"

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Yes it is and I have been told this afternoon that they have arrived from the printers and will be at the NEC on Saturday.

I am going up there and will spend some time on the Crecy stand. Feel free to drop by one and all and have a chat if you wish.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

I received my copy in this mornings post from Crecy...a relatively quick glance through has found a wealth of information and plenty of new photographs to peruse.

Well worth the wait and a mere £16.95 for a better insight into these strange beasts that just eluded me...my only memory of them is having a look in the cab of a withdrawn 74 at Eastleigh depot as the fitters were stripping it, being around 6 y/o at the time I never thought to ask any questions!

• RMweb Premium

Picked up a copy at the Manchester Model Railway Exhibition. Must say it is an excellent book, explains everything in detail but very readable. My brain is still trying to work out how a booster loco works, but I’m no electrician.

When you read of all the changes made during the lives of the locos, rainstrips, grille changes, extra air vents, renumbering, livery changes etc Hornby and DJM must have been very brave to make a model 71 as so much changed over time.

First of all thank you very much all of you who have left comments about the book. It is really good of you to leave feedback and so positive as well. Makes it all worthwhile.

As for the next book, well the Class 73s have been done already. I'll try and pick something that has not been looked at in a while I think.

Once again thank you very much and enjoy the read.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First of all thank you very much all of you who have left comments about the book. It is really good of you to leave feedback and so positive as well. Makes it all worthwhile.

As for the next book, well the Class 73s have been done already. I'll try and pick something that has not been looked at in a while I think.

Once again thank you very much and enjoy the read.

Best wishes

Simon

Yup,

now required reading, that's for sure!

Well done Simon, splendid job.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to add my comments.

This really is a first class job. Plenty of well reproduced photos, most of which I’ve not seen before.

Evidently a lot of thorough research has gone into the text. It certainly isn’t just a rehash of previous work about these two classes.

I’m mostly familiar with the Class 74s from when I used to live along the SW mainline to Bournemouth and have a soft spot for them. In many respects they were ahead of their time.

A book that all BR(S) electric modellers of the 1960s to mid-70s and enthusiasts should add to their bookshelf.

Just to add my comments.

This really is a first class job. Plenty of well reproduced photos, most of which I’ve not seen before.

Evidently a lot of thorough research has gone into the text. It certainly isn’t just a rehash of previous work about these two classes.

I’m mostly familiar with the Class 74s from when I used to live along the SW mainline to Bournemouth and have a soft spot for them. In many respects they were ahead of their time.

A book that all BR(S) electric modellers of the 1960s to mid-70s and enthusiasts should add to their bookshelf.

I certainly will not argue with those comments. Thank you very much.

Simon

I received my copy last week and have read it from cover to cover. A splendid book, evidently very thoroughly researched and a good summary of salient points taken from a vast range of official sources with little anecdotes added here and there, which add much interest.

There is much in the text that is highly technical, which is good to see, and though informative, descriptions of how the electrical and power systems in general work require a degree of knowledge of power engineering to understand them fully (anyone who has read the previous Southern Way book on the SR booster locomotives will probably have experienced this).

A splendid collection of photographs, too… though as a 'green era' modeller, I would have liked more of the early days of the HA class: well, I would say that, wouldn't I?  Perhaps they simply do not exist.

As others have said, it is a book that all interested should add to their collection - and at such a reasonable price, too.

Well done, and thank you to both authors.

Mike

• Like 1

I received my copy last week and have read it from cover to cover. A splendid book, evidently very thoroughly researched and a good summary of salient points taken from a vast range of official sources with little anecdotes added here and there, which add much interest.

There is much in the text that is highly technical, which is good to see, and though informative, descriptions of how the electrical and power systems in general work require a degree of knowledge of power engineering to understand them fully (anyone who has read the previous Southern Way book on the SR booster locomotives will probably have experienced this).

A splendid collection of photographs, too… though as a 'green era' modeller, I would have liked more of the early days of the HA class: well, I would say that, wouldn't I?  Perhaps they simply do not exist.

As others have said, it is a book that all interested should add to their collection - and at such a reasonable price, too.

Well done, and thank you to both authors.

Mike

Mike 

Many thanks for the kind words. I take you point about pictures of the green HAs, if we could have found more, then we would have included them. They were quite camera shy in their early years which presented a problem.

Really good to know that you have found it a good read. We have tried to put as much new information on the two types out there as possible. It is the first I think that covers both types in detail. 

Again many thanks

Simon

Did any Class 71s / 74s ever make it to Newhaven?

Yes, we have a picture of a 71 on a Newhaven boat train passing Wandsworth Common in the book.

Simon