Heljan Class 15

SteveB

One quick foray into K&S in Stevenage for some Plastruct, and out I come with a Heljan 15 (GYSP, to use the vernacular). Wasn't even aware they had been released, and can't see them listed with Hattons. Test run very well - slow and smooth from the box in the shop.

Certainly looks a nice beast (and not a bad price). Just need to justify one reaching the Western half of the country without breaking down...

Any other feedback yet? Surely I can't be one of the first?

Steve Banfield

• Like 2

Unlucky Steve! ;)

As the first person to get one you're now duty bound to photograph it, give feedback on dimensional accuracy, note any deviation from the prototype, full mechanical test and report, test with several decoders, install sound, write an article on detailing and inform everyone how to deal with duff locos, establish a feedback hotline to HJ and collate information on replacement parts.

Boy, are you going to be busy this evening.

Either that or you could just ignore me. ;)

• Like 1

Saw the review in RM. Looks V.nice, although wary of DCC conversion difficulties mentioned in magazine.

Would be good to see some pictures, which version did you get? The late green double arrow seems to be the one people are talking about.

N

Unlucky Steve! ;)

As the first person to get one you're now duty bound to photograph it, give feedback on dimensional accuracy, note any deviation from the prototype, full mechanical test and report, test with several decoders, install sound, write an article on detailing and inform everyone how to deal with duff locos, establish a feedback hotline to HJ and collate information on replacement parts.

Hell Andy, you've been doin' this tooooo long! ;)

Unlucky Steve! ;)

Well, I did the photographing bit. In a hurry, on a half 'finished' layout board on a shelf in a store room. But it's fairly obviously there, so it'll have to do on that score. As for the rest, maybe after I've had my beer for the evening... But it is green, it stayed on the track, and has yet to go bang, catch fire, make smoke or indeed drop oil. So it's not looking good on the accuracy front. Purists please note I even managed to find a suitable coach...

post-6115-126876868062_thumb.jpg post-6115-126876867821_thumb.jpg

Steve Banfield (and his not performing but only because I haven't got that far yet class 15)

• Like 7

Guest Max Stafford

That's a lovely model, but how the hell can I justify one in the Central Belt of Scotland...? ;)

Dave.

A few questions for a friend of mine if I may (here we go :rolleyes: ):

Have they painted a duck egg blue colour around the cab windows you can see when you look at the model face on?

Is it easy to fit a decoder?

If I may be nosey, he wants to know how much did you pay for it at K&S please?

These questions are "for a friend", honest. I'm a sectorisation modeller me :D

A few questions for a friend of mine if I may (here we go :rolleyes: ):

Have they painted a duck egg blue colour around the cab windows you can see when you look at the model face on?

Is it easy to fit a decoder?

If I may be nosey, he wants to know how much did you pay for it at K&S please?

These questions are "for a friend", honest. I'm a sectorisation modeller me :D

Cab windows - and front faces of cab over the 'bonnet tops' are in a blue-grey shade (can't vouch for the accuracy of the shade). Image below show's the paint job, but it's not the best photo I have taken (hence not originally posted. I did rush them about...)

Decoder? I've only just advanced beyond Hammant & Morgan, so will defer to others on that score.

As for price, shelf tag says £95, but discounted down to £75 (both prices give or take a few pence, discount is normal I believe for all locomotives).

I hope your 'friend' finds this useful... ;)

post-6115-12687742812_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi sorry slightly o/t did you spot any 86's on the shelf as well some rumoured to be delivered at same time as 15

thanks

mark

The 15's were being unpacked as I walked in, so not sure - another 5 minutes and the one being tested (now mine...) would've been packed away and I doubt I'd even have seen them. So sorry, can't help!

Unlucky Steve! ;)

You forgot to add - remotor/regear/strip chassis/whatever if it uses Clayton parts....

• RMweb Gold

Ha, I'm not getting rid of my Alexander one, yet another opportunity to fool the punters at the Nottm show ....

gallery_6717_85_17563.jpg

Ohh, is that the new Heljan 15

and

ooh, is that the NRM Deltic Prototype

Should give me something to talk about laugh.gif

• Like 1

I succumbed to a GYSP one yesterday at my local shop. Initial impressions are very good, the bogie sideframes lack a bit of relief depth I feel compared to Dave Alexander castings. Width between bogie sideframes is 22.8 at the bottom of the frame, and about a millimetre less than this at the top of the inside of the frames, so some filing or padding out of the sideframes will be needed for the wider gauges. Axles are standard 2mm non-muffed as far as I can tell at the moment. Heljan have fitted correct 13mm wheels. I'm tempted to use standard 12mm DMU or 14mm coach wheels for conversion provided there is a way of not compromising the buffer height - I don't fancy using AG 13mm ones, which are difficult to fit and get concentric on a 2mm axle without rebushing. Bodywise, I think my only adverse comment is that Heljan have made the top of the cab slightly proud of the top of the shorter bonnet end - it should be flush. Some extensive filing could correct this. There'll be some fun and games seeing how much clearance there will be between the front bogie sandboxes and the inside of the drawbar - this was very tight on the prototype, and Heljan could perhaps have done itself a favour by making the bogie centres a millimetre or so less than what it should be.

• Like 2

Excellent, the first of the wave of BR(ER) diesel crapness has arrived. Perhaps a quick visit to St Evenage is indicated to pick up my all green order. With the class 105 and 23 also on the way, it only wants a class 21 to reduce the KX suburban area services to a complete shambles. Don't think Seuthe have a unit that could lay down the smoke screen I saw one of these produce as it expired...

Does this class 15 have working lights? I've read somewhere the chassis would be suitable for conversion to prototype diesel 10800. Would anyone care to comment on what is possible

Thanks

Norm