Heljan Class 15

SteveB

• RMweb Gold

My model of D8229 arrived from Camborne yesterday, but will have to wait until tomorrow for a run on the Bachrus rollers. Still, coming from Cornwall I’m sure it’s been blessed by a pisky (at no extra charge) and will undoubtedly run like a dream.

I have now got the cab roof down flush with the short bonnet top; it stood all of 0.5mm higher, and there was a same size gap at the bottom of the cab side, above the solebar, running plate, or whatever it is called. Once the body is off the chassis the cab could easily be worked free from the inside. Took a little bit off the bottom of the cab interior moulding (the visible part of which I am going to paint dark) , and thinned the pegs on the bottom of the cab sides, also cleaned up where it lands on the footplate, all neat and tidy now. Actually, after a short break took another look and wasn't quite satisfied, there is a raised edge inside the rear of the cab roof, scraped that off, now it sits truly flush. A little filler in the gap on top to blend them together at some point I think, if photographs show no panel join in the real thing.

The chassis was very tight in the body (whip the fuel tank off, undo the two crosshead screws, gently, very gently, work round the underside to get the mech out). Very neat internal layout, bags of space for a decoder under the fan end. Alternatively a large oval speaker at the fan end, decoder at the cab end with a bit of modification of the cab interior insert. The body green is rather bright, dirt will fix that though. The NEM pocket isn't, strictly by the rules, since it is positioned getting on for 2mm overheight, ( just like a Bach 16T mineral in other words). Lighting effect good on DC, should be excellent once decoder fitted. Good news on the decoder socket location too, clear void underneath it, no metal for long plug pins to short on. The motor is a 30mm long 12mm diameter round can type, no flywheels.

A big thank you for this post. Followed the instructions and was able to get cab and body off without any damage. Mine is now chipped and the cab roof is flush with the short bonnet. The tip on the raised edge at the rear of the cab roof was also very useful

Norm

• RMweb Gold

What wheels do folk suggest for P4? My drawing of a class 15 shows them as 39" and the model appears to have the correct 13mm diameter wheels. Nearest Gibson do is a 3'2" wheel for a Warship, BlackBeetle do a 12mm or a 14mm.

It is typically that I have spare set of class 20/25 wheels in the box, but at 14.5mm I think they will be noticeably too big.

David

• RMweb Premium

Heljan have just added an annotated picture to their website showing where the bufferbeam detailing parts go:

http://www.Heljan.dk...d&artikelid=255

I always thought that the class 15 did not have a train heating boiler fitted, and I just looked through one of the books, and they where fitted with steam heating through pipe. That cleared that confusing up as to why there is a steam pipe on the front buffer beam.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

mine arrived here in NZ today, runs very well.

I seem to have extra sets of 4 of the detailing sprues but am missing the one with the closed green headcode discs, parts 66 to 68.

Was that one supposed to be included ?

My only worry is that the NEM pocket appeears to be 1.5 to 2 mm higher than it should be, so Kadee #18's are really a bit high to couple comfortably to my rolling stock.

Has anyone noticed this or have a suggested fix ?

Having spent a complete evening adding bits to my Heljan class 14 it looks as though the 15 will be a bit quicker.

Roger

...My only worry is that the NEM pocket appeears to be 1.5 to 2 mm higher than it should be, so Kadee #18's are really a bit high to couple comfortably to my rolling stock.

Has anyone noticed this or have a suggested fix ? ...

Yes, about two pages back! Pretty much the same height as on Bachmann's 16T minerals and other wagons, and mk1 coaches well known for their overheight couple pocket positioning. Strange error from a manufacturer with origins in continental HO.

For those using the miniature tension lock, Bachmann's 'cranked' version fixes this problem. (That's what I am using as my 15 is for freight only)

If I wanted to put a Kadee in, my thoughts would be tending to putting a no5 directly into the socket: comes out spot on for height on the Bachmann items mentioned previously. But Heljan's socket isn't of the same form, so experimentation will be required. The pocket appears to be all clip together parts, is it possible that a rearrangement could drop it to the correct height?

While I am on, following the class 17 problems it seemed a good idea to put this one through the mill a little. My example has racked up well past 20 hours and is still 'going like a train': so on the basis of an entirely representative sample of one, looks like a good mech.

A cracking model which runns like a dream, which I do hope has restored some peoples faith in Heljan, just one small item , does anyone have any guides to mounting footplate steps and sand boxes?

Cheers Tim

• Like 1

Hi all, Has anyone had any issues with the lights? I seem to only have them operating in one direction ( Long nose forward). I can't see anything obvious as far as the internal wiring is concerned. I have fitted a Decoder but it is the same on DC (just failed to spot this before fitting all the detailing parts and the decoder)!

Trevor

Guest Max Stafford

Trevor, if this one is like HJ's Type 2s, the lighting may have plug-in sockets on the circuit board. If so, one might not be fully engaged - worth a check.

On the subject of general performance, mine has done a couple of hours each way on the rollers and now appears to be very happy, showing no hint of dodginess!

A thumbs-up from me for the 15! :icon_thumbsup2:

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Is it me, or has anyone else found the sandboxes foul the buffer beam? Having fitted them to the bogies the front of the sandbox seems to sit forward of the rear of the buffer beam by about .75mm. This means I can no longer get the body to sit on the chassis? Looking at drawings it seems the sandboxes are quite a bit fatter than drawn?

Has anyone got them to fit?

David Barham

Is it me, or has anyone else found the sandboxes foul the buffer beam? Having fitted them to the bogies the front of the sandbox seems to sit forward of the rear of the buffer beam by about .75mm. This means I can no longer get the body to sit on the chassis? Looking at drawings it seems the sandboxes are quite a bit fatter than drawn?

Has anyone got them to fit?

David Barham

Yes. I attached them without removing the body. Since the loco will be used on my circle street layout (Second radius) and the bogies are at a constant angle i have not had any problems. The only thing i cannot attach are the ladders next to the bogies as due to the track radius they get knocked off.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Ok. A few shots of mine. one with the details added (minus the sandboxes as they foul the body)

post-7289-12697716776_thumb.jpg

post-7289-126977170805_thumb.jpg

post-7289-126977173732_thumb.jpg

and the other not yet detailed

post-7289-126977178763_thumb.jpg

Not really seen passing through Duffield on the Midland Mainline in the 1960's My excuse. "On test from Derby"wink.gif

• Like 2

Ok. A few shots of mine. one with the details added (minus the sandboxes as they foul the body)

post-7289-12697716776_thumb.jpg

post-7289-126977170805_thumb.jpg

post-7289-126977173732_thumb.jpg

and the other not yet detailed

post-7289-126977178763_thumb.jpg

Not really seen passing through Duffield on the Midland Mainline in the 1960's My excuse. "On test from Derby"wink.gif

The cab roof not flush with the top of the short bonnet is an interesting 'error'. In photos that I have seen of the class in service the cab roof was flush, but there is a side-on photo of D8200 in the January 1958 RO and the cab roof is definitely not flush. The photo is credited to BTH so presumably taken before the loco entered traffic.

I wonder if modifications were made to the cab height before the loco was officially delivered to BR, but Heljan have sourced the original drawings which did not include the modification?

I wonder if modifications were made to the cab height before the loco was officially delivered to BR, but Heljan have sourced the original drawings which did not include the modification?

Perhaps BTH left a gap at the bottom as well, and had to push it down a bit ;)

Guest Max Stafford

It's not universally known that D8200 was extensively tested in the Stirling and Alloa area in 1961. Although quite successful, the ScR decided not to order class 15 in any numbers due to a much improved centre-cab development being offered which promised increased reliability...! :rolleyes: ;)

Dave.

They're self colored plastic. I too cant get my sandboxes to fit as they foul the bufferbeam, RM mentioned it in their review too. I will likely modify mine so they fit but it looks like a fair bit of thinnings required. Got any pictures bec of yours on second radii? I'm intrigued as to how yours fitted.

I have just had a look at mine. I apologise - as a closer inspection revealed that with the angle of the bogie one sandbox is away from the body whilst the other is under the buffer beam. This has caused the rear wheel on the bogie to lift just slightly off the railhead. This give the impression to me that all was ok - since i had no derailments. Once again apologies for getting anyone excited!

Looks like i will be taking a file to it.

Paul

It's not universally known that D8200 was extensively tested in the Stirling and Alloa area in 1961. Although quite successful, the ScR decided not to order class 15 in any numbers due to a much improved centre-cab development being offered which promised increased reliability...! :rolleyes: ;)

Dave.

I certainly didn't know this! Can now justify running on our Alloa layout (if we ever allow diesels) and on my own layout basd on Plean!!

• Like 1

You're the lucky ones then, because they certainly didn't operate on the Waverley Route. However, Class 22s and 43s were regularly given mileage accumulation runs over it, a sauce has advised.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dismantled mine tonight, thinking I'd glue the head code discs on from the rear.

First problem, took off the battery box and there are no screws... the body was held on by friction !

Then there is no access to the head code disc holes because of the light guide so it was back to fitting from the outside.

Still it looks very good travelling along my Southern branch line.....

Roger

Hi all, Has anyone had any issues with the lights? I seem to only have them operating in one direction ( Long nose forward). I can't see anything obvious as far as the internal wiring is concerned. I have fitted a Decoder but it is the same on DC (just failed to spot this before fitting all the detailing parts and the decoder)!

Trevor

Managed to resolve this, the wires for the lighting are soldered to the PCB, this was all OK but some of the wires running from the PCB to the lights run in a channel in the chassis, one wire must have been caught which had broken the connection. It is working now after some straightening, will probally have to change the wire at some time if the lights fail again.

Trevor