Lettering of Cambrian covered wagons and goods brake vans

NCB

• RMweb Premium

I posted something along these lines in the Railways of Wales section, but thought it worthwhile repeating it here. I have a couple of questions about the livery of the above vehicles.

1) There's a Cambrian official pic of flush-sided brake van no. 2 which shows shaded lettering, also official pics of covered vans also showing shaded letters. However there are a number of comments in various places suggesting that in service the lettering was unshaded white. Great Western Way explicitly states that the lettering was unshaded vans for flush-sided brake vans. Any ideas as to current thinking of this? I'm inclined to believe the above statement re brake vans, not so sure about covered vans.

2) It's widely stated that the lettering on flush-sided brake vans was larger than on say 2 and 4 plank open wagons, 1ft 4 1/2 ins according to Great Western Way, as opposed to 1ft. However, measuring the lettering on the above pic it seems to me they're the same size. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Nigel

I have no knowledge of 'foreign' railways such as the Cambrian, but it wasn't unusual for wagons painted for official photographs to be painted differently from those in service, especially so for outside builders. I have photos of CR wagons built by Pickering or Hurst Nelson painted in 'photographic grey' which have black lettering. Some builders photos of PO wagons show shaded lettering but photos of the same owners wagons in service have no shading.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, that helps. This is the 1899 - 1915 livery. Think I've seen the GWW measurements somewhere else as well, can't remember where, but that's where they may have got them from.

Cheers

Nigel

Archived