ON30 Climax advice for newbie to the scale

Rob Hayes

Hi there I am mostly a British outline modeller in various scales but a few years ago I had the delightful task of repairing and fitting soundtraxx decoders to some Bachmann 0N30 locos and I absolutley fell in love with logging locos most particularly the Climax.

Problem is I remember the Bachmann Climax was 0N30 and ran in on our Kato H0/00 test track over the week o spent sorting it out. Now I want to buy one I can only see H0 gauge models listed in the Bachmann range which looks smaller but runs on the same gauge track.... This is confusing the hell out of me how can you have two models of the same loco in two totally different scale that both run on the same gauge track ??? , did I miss something ?

I would prefer a 0N30 scale loco it had a nice heft and presence about it.

Many thanks in advance this this a new area of modelling for me. Cheers Rob :)

• RMweb Gold

The 0n30 one isn't currently in production. (The Shay isn't either)

Plenty around on the second hand market. Watch out for them having split gears as this is something they suffer from.

I am surprised at your problem understanding the scale/track issue given you say you've worked in many scales. The HO model is a 1:76 scale model of a standard gauge Loco so the HO track is representing standard guage 4'8" track. The 0n30 Loco is a 1:48 scale model (so larger) and the 16.5mm guage track is representing a narrow gauge line of 2'6" gauge. (Further confusion happens because liberties are taken with ng using the convenience of commercial 16.5mm track with 2', 2'6" & 3' gauge prototypes

I have  been  an 0n30 modeller  ( amongst other  scales)  since  its introduction in the  late  90s,  unfortunately  the  scale  seems to  have  lost  popularity in the  last  couple  of  years  or  so with  the  result  that some  retailers have discontinued  stocking the  range ( and it  would apprear  that very little  is being  manufactured anyway

Some of the retailers  are selling  off their  stocks,  NGtrains,  Tower-Models,  and  Hattons.

Some  USA  are  advertsing 0n30at  clearance  prices   Trainworld were selling 2-6-6-2  Mallets  for  $99  and  4-4-0s  for $49  although  if  importing  they  would attract  VAT @20% +£8 handling, but still very  cheap.

I have  to  agree  the  Climax  is  wonderful  delightfully  heavy and  slow  running.

I attach a photo of one  of my  latest purchases  from  Paul  @ NGTrains  EDM ,  Paul may wonder  when  he  see this as  when  I bought  it it  was  RED, but  it  got  a  paint  job!!  its  a  Whitcomb centre  cab diesel. PAINT JOB NOT  QUITE  FINISHED  YET!

post-10539-0-75327800-1479502862.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I just bought one on eBay. My confusion is that I thought 0N30 was the Narrow gauge of 0 gauge running on H0 track. So I thought the HO gauge climax would run on n gauge track. But it seems

To also run on HO track and the ON30 I was working on run on HO track also..

I'll think about it again when I have this bottle of wine out my system :)

The loco I bought is this one I hope it has not got gear problems now as I've read this after the purchase.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/orderDetails?itemId=222319294873&txnId=1822623826012

If not can I get an upgrade for the gear.

I can't wait to get a suitable soundtraxx unit in this now. Will have to pay a visit to my old buddies at DCC Supplies :)

I think my confusion is related to a very VERY limited knowledge of American locos. I always assumed the similarity of UK standard and narrow gauge. I assumed the 0N30 model was narrow gauge for 0 scale running on H0 spaced track.

Therefore to my current understanding the H0 mode should run on N spaced track but seems to share H0 track..

I am now guessing that th climax style loco came in narrow and standard gauge form in reality (shrugs shoulders and looks like a totally idiot)

On another note I'm Sad to read 0n30 is in decline it's a wonderful scale and subject to model beautiful and chunky I love it :)

Ahhhh now I get it ! Who would have thought it, that would be like us having in the UK welsh narrow gauge built the same way for standard gauge... And why not ! , if you got a good design stick with it.

Well I fancied the the Narrow gauge one and that's what I have but never realised there was also standard gauge too.

American Railroading just got a whole lot more intersting to me.. I'm hooked :)

I see sorry about that. Well the loco is catalogue number 25762 it's the Colarado Minining company one with a number 8 and in a green spectrum box so I'm not sure of the age or year of release but if looks great at least.

The shop seems to have great feedback so I'm optimistic however my first encounter of one of these was a big repair and I fell in love with the loco type after that. Complicated little beast.

:)

I would also be interested in any gear upgrade incase I have to sort it out. It's been that long since I did the repair on the one I worked on that I'm not sure what the fault was but remember having fun working out how to get inside it and take all the Motor section out.. Ah that was it burned out motor :)

It  may  be  best  to  contact  Bachmann in the  USA they  do  supply  spares,  I  got    a   replacement  gear box  for  a  faulty on delivery  NEW  Railbus  it  was  sent  from  the USA    no charge.

Things  have  moved  on  a  bit  and  not  sure  of  the  current  situation.

It may be  worth  having  a  look  at  the  ASK THE BACH-MAN  forum  on   the  Bachmann USA  website  some  of  the  items don't  help much  on  there  but it  may  be  worth  signing  up  and  asking  the  question

Hope  this  helps!!

On another note I'm Sad to read 0n30 is in decline it's a wonderful scale and subject to model beautiful and chunky I love it :)

Decline? Noooooooo! At least not in my roof!  See the link below for the FVRR. In fact On30 needn't rely solely on the Bachmann catalogue. Still the secondhand market does furnish us fans with plenty of offers.

Chaz

Decline? Noooooooo! At least not in my roof!  See the link below for the FVRR. In fact On30 needn't rely solely on the Bachmann catalogue. Still the secondhand market does furnish us fans with plenty of offers.

Chaz

Count me  in  also  Chaz,  Cant  move  here  ffor  Mallets,  Whitcombs  & Shays to  name   but  a few,  well maybe exaggerating a bit  there  but  I  bought  my  first 0n30 within weeks of the  first  UK  imports  and  since  then  there has always been 0n30 layout  somewhere on  the premises!!

Mind  you  I reckon S/H will increase in  price  3  logging  disconnects  went  for   £ 108 last week on eBay

Bachmann always give the impression they are giving up due to constantly running out of limited production runs, waiting months if not years before returning to the product.. Do not expect long availability in 0n30 it comes and then is gone for a while.

I will take apart the Climax and see about new gears very soon, as long as Bachmann have used Mod metric gears replacement will be easy for spur gears, Bevel gears, far more difficult. It is only the Climax that has given this trouble, due in the main to the Chinese fondness of forcing a large shaft through a small hole to get grip, instead of knurling the shaft and using the right size moulded gears.

At worst it might need a new central gearbox made, not impossible with contrate faced gears, but getting the right speed to the steam engine shaft might be difficult, the steam engine may have to run a bit faster per wheel revolution.

NWSL cover some Shays and the HO Climax with spare brass gear sets, but not the 0n30 version due to costs and low demand so far.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann are just about to release a new tourist open coach named for the late Lee Riley who was the driving force in establishing the range.

Trainworld just released a video at one of the US shows and the Bachmann stand had lots of On30 on show so don't panic. It's more production of certain models is in batches every few years.

9m 38secs in here

The  open  tourist  coach  was  first discussed  some  years  ago  on  the  Bachmann USA  site, it  was   supposed to  have  been  released  the  following  year but  never  materialised,  I am  not  sure  how  great  the    demand  would  be  for  such  a  vehicle as  they   did not  appear on  the  scene  until  the 'preservation' era  I  think

Bachmann  would  have  been  better  to  have   re  - run  the  0n330  passenger  cars  more  frequently,  although  I  notice  that  some  'New' liveries  have  been  announced  recently

Anyone looking  for  passenger cars  may  wish  to  check  Micro-Mark  they  had  a  special  price  on  maroon observation  car  recently  not  the  ideal car   but easily  adapted, think  the  price  was  $24 plus of  course  shipping  and  VAT + £8  for  us  in  the  UK

Just  checked  the   'New' Passenger car  colors  are    Buff &  Tan  and  Yellow & Red  RSRP $73

There are images on  Bachmanntrains.com website,  but  no  mention  of  the open  tourist  coaches  though

Micro Mark  still have  the  $24.95 passenger car  available  + a  couple  of  others  @  $49.95

Count me  in  also  Chaz,  Cant  move  here  ffor  Mallets,  Whitcombs  & Shays to  name   but  a few,  well maybe exaggerating a bit  there  but  I  bought  my  first 0n30 within weeks of the  first  UK  imports  and  since  then  there has always been 0n30 layout  somewhere on  the premises!!

Mind  you  I reckon S/H will increase in  price  3  logging  disconnects  went  for   £ 108 last week on eBay

Better get up in the loft then.. my stock came from various sources including a couple of job lots from abandoned projects, I've got at least two sets of those, complete with boxes

Better get up in the loft then.. my stock came from various sources including a couple of job lots from abandoned projects, I've got at least two sets of those, complete with boxes

Not  got  any  Sound  on  board  Mallets  have  you??  could  do  with  just  1  more  ( how  many  times  have  I  said  that!!!!!!!)

Archived