Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

O.K. Here is a map of Bala, I've added to it the original lines to Blaenau Ffestiniog and Barmouth that split at Bala Junction. The Barmoth section from Bala Penybont Station along the Lake to Llanuwchllyn is now the Bala Lake Railway and is 2 ft Narrow Gauge and four and a half miles long.

Some signs still remain in Bala of the old Station although it is now an Industrial Estate, and Fire Station, an original Signal does still stand roughly where it would have been on the line from the Station to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

I have assumed that the Line from Corwen / Llangollen stayed open and my Pen Y Bont Station is in the Meadows to the South of the original Bala Station. 

Corwen was served by the GWR from Llangollen but also the LNWR from the North coming in just East of Corwen Town.

I have assumed that after closure of Bala Station, and the Line beyond Bala Junction to the West, the LNWR had running rights extended from Corwen as far as Pen Y Bont, this will allow my Jinty that is Shed Code 6A Cres Newydd  / Wrexham to come into Pen Y Bont.

post-9335-0-23500500-1522659886.gif

Click on map to view locations etc.

post-9335-0-55929500-1522662123_thumb.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 10

O.K. Here is a map of Bala, I've added to it the original lines to Blaenau Ffestiniog and Barmouth that split at Bala Junction. The Barmoth section from Bala Penybont Station along the Lake to Llanuwchllyn is now the Bala Lake Railway and is 2 ft Narrow Gauge and four and a half miles long.

Some signs still remain in Bala of the old Station although it is now an Industrial Estate, and Fire Station, an original Signal does still stand roughly where it would have been on the line from the Station to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

I have assumed that the Line from Corwen / Llangollen stayed open and my Pen Y Bont Station is in the Meadows to the South of the original Bala Station. 

Corwen was served by the GWR from Llangollen but also the LNWR from the North coming in just East of Corwen Town.

I have assumed that after closure of Bala Station, and the Line beyond Bala Junction to the West, the LNWR had running rights extended from Corwen as far as Pen Y Bont, this will allow my Jinty that is Shed Code 6A Cres Newydd  / Wrexham to come into Pen Y Bont.

attachicon.gifRoute Map.gif

Click on map to view locations etc.

attachicon.gifNew Map.png

Andy,

A convincing twist of history. Bernard Cornwell has been doing it successfully for many years. Now, about that industrial line which will need a Manning Wardle K...

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Andy,

A convincing twist of history. Bernard Cornwell has been doing it successfully for many years. Now, about that industrial line which will need a Manning Wardle K...

Regards,

Chris

Could it run on the Std Gauge as far as Bala Junction Chris? hahaha.

I didn't know the LNWR swerved Corwen. You learn something new everyday

Paul R

The LNWR reached Corwen from Rhyl, via Denbigh and Ruthin.

It was a very picturesque route that unfortunately has long gone. I used to play in the old goods yard in Denbigh after it was closed, but there was still lots of railway bits and pieces knocking around. 

Could it run on the Std Gauge as far as Bala Junction Chris? hahaha.

With the correct permits it could Andy ;)

Your plan positions the station on the Bala Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog line, albeit after closure and terminating before Bala Town Station.

A very interesting line indeed and prior to closure another picturesque line with a perilous hillside ledge that was traversed alongside the valley before Trawsfynnyd.

I had the pleasure of walking along the old rail bed last year, and there is still plenty to be seen, especially the beautiful viaduct and the drop on one side to the valley below.

post-14906-0-74936600-1522684167_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-67142000-1522684189_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-18827100-1522684203_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-10396800-1522684226_thumb.jpg

I must go up there for a walk again soon.

Jinty ;)

• Like 12

The LNWR reached Corwen from Rhyl, via Denbigh and Ruthin.

It was a very picturesque route that unfortunately has long gone. I used to play in the old goods yard in Denbigh after it was closed, but there was still lots of railway bits and pieces knocking around. 

With the correct permits it could Andy ;)

Your plan positions the station on the Bala Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog line, albeit after closure and terminating before Bala Town Station.

A very interesting line indeed and prior to closure another picturesque line with a perilous hillside ledge that was traversed alongside the valley before Trawsfynnyd.

I had the pleasure of walking along the old rail bed last year, and there is still plenty to be seen, especially the beautiful viaduct and the drop on one side to the valley below.

attachicon.gifCwm Prysor 02.jpg

attachicon.gifCwm Prysor 10.jpg

attachicon.gifCwm Prysor 08.jpg

attachicon.gifCwm Prysor 09.jpg

I must go up there for a walk again soon.

Jinty ;)

Yeah those Viaducts and ledges are a great site from the road to Trawsfynnyd, I wish I was able to climb up there as the view looks awesome.

Edited by Andrew P

Yeah those Viaducts and ledges are a great site from the road to Trawsfynnyd, I wish I was able to climb up there as the view look awesome.

If you park on the top bit it is about a half mile flat walk to the viaduct Andy.

Jinty ;)

We drive along the Bala-Trawsfynnyd road a lot and every time I pass the viaduct I think "next time".  The road post dates the railway and is one of the best kept secrets in North Wales, capable of being driven at the speed limit unless there are tourists around.

Our neighbours in Borth y Gest had a newsagents in Bala and used the road every day once they decided to build their house in ByG.  It was occasionally closed by snow drifts, they tell me.  In my earlier days we used to drive to Porthmadog (Portmadoc then) from Birmingham via Lake Vyrnwy, going "over the top" of the Berwyns.  This is one bit of Wales that has not changed much in 60 years.

Paul

All coming along nicely Andy: I admire your speed!

Best wishes,

Nick

Thanks Nick, but this one will be slow, I need to do short stints so that I don't over do things. 

All that is planned tomorrow is to fit the over centre latches to hold the two boards together.

Today after preparing some Sound Chips for sending off for re blowing, mainly for KM, I decided to make a start on the New 54 Inch Fiddle Yard that will replace the current 2ft one.

Firstly a sheet of 54 inch x 15 inch 9mm Ply had a couple of sides and an end fitted. It was also cut in an arc to enable it so swivel on the central pivot.

post-9335-0-03007600-1522769473_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56914700-1522769523_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01272300-1522769564_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-41144900-1522769603_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-26237700-1522769642_thumb.jpg

Because the F/Y is longer on the over hang than the supporting frame, I had to come up with a solution to stop the front lifting.

So I've made a locating key, that sits under the main frame, allowing the F/Y to slide into position before inserting the swivel pin.

post-9335-0-72739100-1522769822_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-17124700-1522769850_thumb.jpg

So now I can lay the Track, (not today, I'm knackered). 

The Centre Fiddle Yard Track will line up with all thee Tracks from the Scenic section, whilst the outer two will line up with the Centre Main Line, and it's relevant Scenic Track.

This is just old scrap track to show what I mean.

post-9335-0-03584400-1522770048_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-89977600-1522770081_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-15463700-1522770120_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-79616900-1522770155_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 13

Harsh!!! Hahah

It is neat Andy.

Regards,

Nick.

Thanks very much Nick, normally my carpentry is diabolical, and yet my Farther was a Master Craftsman when it came to woodwork, and he loved it.

Get the Wife a shed  :mosking:

With a BIG padlock?  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :sungum:

• Like 2

It does look good Andy.  I'm the same as you, I can't do a professional looking job with wood to save my life but I can make functional things when I need to.  Helps to have mates with power saws, they scare the dickens out of me and I won't go near them.  Like you, my dad was very good with his hands making all sorts of furniture.

John

• Like 2

It does look good Andy.  I'm the same as you, I can't do a professional looking job with wood to save my life but I can make functional things when I need to.  Helps to have mates with power saws, they scare the dickens out of me and I won't go near them.  Like you, my dad was very good with his hands making all sorts of furniture.

John

I can produce Sawdust for the world with miss cuts and funny angles.

I wish when I went to Bodge something it turned out this good.

Thanks Anthony, I can assure you, there are still many mistakes, like nails coming through the side where they didn't go in strait, one side piece is 1/4 inch higher than the other, but I knew that, and still put it on the wrong side of the deck. So don't be alarmed, mistakes can be good, hahahha

• Like 2