Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

Moving on, I've had a brilliant PM from Larry, explaining how he painted his walls on Carrog, so I will be having a go at that after breakfast and see how it comes out, so some pics later.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Craig, My Dad was a Blood Donner and had his 25 years Gold Start or whatever it was.

Anyway, BLOOD TEST DONE, :sungum: and I was back home before I was even due to go in at 08.30. The Nurse was brilliant, very calming and re assuring.  :sungum:

Excellent.

I had sent photos of you to Leicester A&E stating you had been banned from Burton, Stoke and Derby  A&Es.

Excellent.

I had sent photos of you to Leicester A&E stating you had been banned from Burton, Stoke and Derby  A&Es.

And Queen Alexandra and St Marys in Portsmouth mate. They know me well. :O  but fine this time, all done, out and drove home.

• Like 3

I must have missed it somewhere along the pages, but what does TOP's refer to (other than the motive power numbering system adopted in the early 1970's)?

Hi Larry, well it all started before I had the Shed, and I kept saying to my good lady, it's only going to be a little Potting Shed, so then it became The Old Potting Shed, = TOPS. :sungum: 

Edited by Andrew P

On the blood test Andy drink plenty of water a couple of hours prior to the test this will help with the flow of blood ....that is  genuine I was given from my doctor a couple of years ago 

Good Luck

Good grief Martin, was it ONLY SUPPOSED to be water? :O  hahah, no wonder my Point Rodding went a bit wonky, :no:  :no:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Moving on, I've had a brilliant PM from Larry, explaining how he painted his walls on Carrog, so I will be having a go at that after breakfast and see how it comes out, so some pics later.

We're all watching closely Andy - can see another super AP tutorial on scenics coming on here :). Hope you've booked the BBC to film this......

Rich

We're all watching closely Andy - can see another super AP tutorial on scenics coming on here :). Hope you've booked the BBC to film this......

Rich

I even forgot my Camera, but some finished pics of that and the Point Rodding in a mo, Rich.

Here is where I'm at with the Point Rodding, and the painted Platform support wall, with and without the top on.

not perfect,

not prototype,

not scale

not pretty,

not sure?

post-9335-0-18411800-1524490416_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-25498100-1524490496_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-71382200-1524490591_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92352900-1524490677_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Chris / 2ManySpams reminded me that in Photo 2 above, I have the joining bar up side down, that has now been corrected.

And the rest of the Rods fitted, again, maybe / DEFINATELY not prototypical, but from 3 ft away, the normal viewing distance, and by the time there are other things to look at, it will pass as a representation of basic Point Rodding.

post-9335-0-36429100-1524501029_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-62151500-1524501091_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Andy

The rodding may not be all that it could be, but I think that when the ballast is added and appropriate grease stains are applied to the ballast you are going to have a very good representation.  It is scary to realize that the rodding stools should be spaced approximately every fourth sleeper.  My longest distance at Penmaenpool is from the signal box to the engine shed which will be about 3 meters for two rods (there is a catch point as well but that would be operated in conjunction with the point from the main line.

George T's photos from last weekend on the NYMR are a great help as well (Thanks, George) but I would imagine the system there is not going to be exactly the same as the GWR designs as seen between Ruabon and Barmouth.  This is where your non-prototype Rule 1 model has an easier ride than my as near as possible prototype model.  For example, I have looked at the Skytrex offerings on line and at shows and not one comes close to what was built at Penmaenpool, which is a pity.

As to the lighting, I just passed my 4mm scale platform lamps on to Larry.  I will be using other 4mm scale lamps for inside lighting so I will be following your search for 7mm scale platform lamps with interest.  The idea of having night time scenery in a dark (ex-home cinema) room is likely to be a challenge!

Best wishes, Paul

Andy

The rodding may not be all that it could be, but I think that when the ballast is added and appropriate grease stains are applied to the ballast you are going to have a very good representation.  It is scary to realize that the rodding stools should be spaced approximately every fourth sleeper.  My longest distance at Penmaenpool is from the signal box to the engine shed which will be about 3 meters for two rods (there is a catch point as well but that would be operated in conjunction with the point from the main line.

George T's photos from last weekend on the NYMR are a great help as well (Thanks, George) but I would imagine the system there is not going to be exactly the same as the GWR designs as seen between Ruabon and Barmouth.  This is where your non-prototype Rule 1 model has an easier ride than my as near as possible prototype model.  For example, I have looked at the Skytrex offerings on line and at shows and not one comes close to what was built at Penmaenpool, which is a pity.

As to the lighting, I just passed my 4mm scale platform lamps on to Larry.  I will be using other 4mm scale lamps for inside lighting so I will be following your search for 7mm scale platform lamps with interest.  The idea of having night time scenery in a dark (ex-home cinema) room is likely to be a challenge!

Best wishes, Paul

Thanks Paul, I hadn't seen the Skytrex rodding mate, still it's done now, so one more job out of the way.

Edited by Andrew P

Good grief Martin, was it ONLY SUPPOSED to be water? :O  hahah, no wonder my Point Rodding went a bit wonky, :no:  :no:

Ar now then perhaps it's true what some have been saying about this man ...he appears in human form and can make miracles happen ....water into wine it would seem.  :angel:

• RMweb Gold

Here is where I'm at with the Point Rodding, and the painted Platform support wall, with and without the top on.

not perfect,

not prototype,

not scale

not pretty,

not sure?

So your trying to tell us your more than happy with it, or do I detect a hint of undecidedness?

Personally, I agree with Paul.  To those in the know it may not be 100% accurate .. but for 99.9% (hmm, maybe on statistics we should say 99.9825%?) of people it will look so right, that it won't be noticed!  Thats not a criticism, just reality.  Its only when detail things look wrong, I tend to find they get noticed.  Get it right and they are not obvious!!  So in essence, that point rodding looks good to me!  

Oh did I mention I have my supersavers appointment tomorrow??  :jester:

Well done  :onthequiet:

Rich

• Like 1

Ar now then perhaps it's true what some have been saying about this man ...he appears in human form and can make miracles happen ....water into wine it would seem.  :angel:

Getting the Point Rodding wrong would give me something else to Whine about, hahah.

So your trying to tell us your more than happy with it, or do I detect a hint of undecidedness?

Personally, I agree with Paul.  To those in the know it may not be 100% accurate .. but for 99.9% (hmm, maybe on statistics we should say 99.9825%?) of people it will look so right, that it won't be noticed!  Thats not a criticism, just reality.  Its only when detail things look wrong, I tend to find they get noticed.  Get it right and they are not obvious!!  So in essence, that point rodding looks good to me!  

Oh did I mention I have my supersavers appointment tomorrow??  :jester:

Well done  :onthequiet:

Rich

Cheers Rich, No, I'm more than happy with my efforts, Even with the best will in the world, I couldn't do it any better.

As I say, at 3ft viewing distance it looks o.k. just. :sungum: 

• Like 4

I bought loads of square brass rod for point rodding last year and had intended using it for its real purpose. However, good 'ol GEM Mercontrol will now be used, the the brass rod will come in handy for cosmetic 'runs' from the signal box.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1