Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

Whilst doing some ''OO'' Weathering jobs this morning I thought I make a start on the 2 Planked Dapol Wagons.

I found some old pics, but they were in Black and White so difficult to judge some colourings, and also found some Colour pics of others to get some ideas from.

Not totally convincing, and the wheels still need painting, but :O

post-9335-0-44006600-1483797753_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92997700-1483797850_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-47066600-1483797803_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08812300-1483797903_thumb.jpg

MUST TRY HARDER.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Like the weathering - is this all done with powders as per your weathering thread?

As for the answer to your question over the two 7mm '47s' I've acquired - at the moment one is BR blue, weathered with its pre-TOPS numbers, minus 'D' prefix, but is DCC sound fitted, while the other is a second-hand but untouched, new, two-tone green version.  The former will stay as it is for now, as it will allow me to do some 1970s era pictures on the new layout in due course, but the green one joins the queue for being reliveried.  There are now three green 47s sat here waiting the paint shop!!  One will gain Railfreight Grey (no red stripe), one in BR blue with a Tinsley name, and the other will either become 47079 G W Churchward in GWR 150 Green, or 47522 Doncaster Enterprise in LNER Green with Parcels branding.

In the long term, the 1970s blue 47 will have the weathering and numbers removed, head code panels plated over, and emerge as in BR blue as 47222 Appleby Frodingham - which I did have a few years ago and stupidly sold ... and regretted it ever since!  If I can acquire another blue one at some point, then the penultimate one will become a Stratford example with silver roof, while the aim for the final '47' acquisition is 47380 Immingham in Railfreight Petroleum livery.  That will give Arksey a fleet of eight 47s, which is more than enough!

Really must stop spending money until I've sold my O gauge Western and Hymek now.  Need to let the bank recover!

Rich

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to sitting down and studying the instructions. :no:

Instructions?  What are you Man or Mouse? 

Instructions are only required to find the magic smoke when released from the chip  :read:

Hi Andy,

Like the weathering - is this all done with powders as per your weathering thread?

As for the answer to your question over the two 7mm '47s' I've acquired - at the moment one is BR blue, weathered with its pre-TOPS numbers, minus 'D' prefix, but is DCC sound fitted, while the other is a second-hand but untouched, new, two-tone green version.  The former will stay as it is for now, as it will allow me to do some 1970s era pictures on the new layout in due course, but the green one joins the queue for being reliveried.  There are now three green 47s sat here waiting the paint shop!!  One will gain Railfreight Grey (no red stripe), one in BR blue with a Tinsley name, and the other will either become 47079 G W Churchward in GWR 150 Green, or 47522 Doncaster Enterprise in LNER Green with Parcels branding.

In the long term, the 1970s blue 47 will have the weathering and numbers removed, head code panels plated over, and emerge as in BR blue as 47222 Appleby Frodingham - which I did have a few years ago and stupidly sold ... and regretted it ever since!  If I can acquire another blue one at some point, then the penultimate one will become a Stratford example with silver roof, while the aim for the final '47' acquisition is 47380 Immingham in Railfreight Petroleum livery.  That will give Arksey a fleet of eight 47s, which is more than enough!

Really must stop spending money until I've sold my O gauge Western and Hymek now.  Need to let the bank recover!

Rich

Hi Rich, there weathered with Humbrol Enamels, 33, Matt Black and 62 Leather, and some Carrs Weathering Powders. I dry brush colour on then pick up some Powders to add texture, especially on the Chassis. I then wiped it down whilst still damp with a tissue and then with the Air Brush gave it a light dusting using Tamyia Acrylics from my DIRTY POT, (that's a mix of Black, Browns and Greys,) i.e. left overs from the Air Brush on each job.

I like the sound of your fleet of 47's mate, really impressive, I wish I still had my Blue one from when they first came out.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, but it's got 207 terminals to screw to :O

Well maybe not 207, but an awful lot, I'm looking forward to sitting down and studying the instructions. :no:

LATER. :sungum:

When I get my decoder for the 40 I'm going to take it to Jinty's i don't trust myself with destructions :O

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich, there weathered with Humbrol Enamels, 33, Matt Black and 62 Leather, and some Carrs Weathering Powders. I dry brush colour on then pick up some Powders to add texture, especially on the Chassis. I then wiped it down whilst still damp with a tissue and then with the Air Brush gave it a light dusting using Tamyia Acrylics from my DIRTY POT, (that's a mix of Black, Browns and Greys,) i.e. left overs from the Air Brush on each job.

I like the sound of your fleet of 47's mate, really impressive, I wish I still had my Blue one from when they first came out.

Thanks Andy, really am going to have to buck up the courage to have a go at weathering. Might try powders first, then dry brushing - something else for the Bristol list!

Rich

• Like 1

Well I'm off to Coventry shortly for the 2017 Bachmann Launch, I always enjoy it and it's good to see what due, although I believe this year Bachmann have said the any New Releases announced today will be for immanent release. 

It would be good to see them get back into O Gauge again, although they still do a few Buildings.

Thanks Andy, really am going to have to buck up the courage to have a go at weathering. Might try powders first, then dry brushing - something else for the Bristol list!

Rich

Buy a CHEAP couple of very old Wagons at Bristol and have a go mate, nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

• RMweb Premium

Haha....opposite for me, I bought the original green WR version (only one available at the time) and changed it to BR ER Blue as was my desire at the time, but since moving down'ere I am minded to change everything from ER to GWR metals so now have a pristine Blue 47 which I need to change back to two tone green for WR........I don't think I can bring myself to do that again though......I should have stayed in Essex  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1

Well I'm off to Coventry shortly for the 2017 Bachmann Launch, I always enjoy it and it's good to see what due, although I believe this year Bachmann have said the any New Releases announced today will be for immanent release. 

It would be good to see them get back into O Gauge again, although they still do a few Buildings.

Well that was a waste of 3 hours of my life, (apart from the coffee and biscuits that is). ''N'' DMU with Sound, some nice Southern EMU's in OO and some nice new OO  / N Buildings.

That was impressive though, yes?

Yes it was actually, it sounded good and had superb slow running and gearbox changes. There was also an N Gauge Steam Loco with Sound, but I don't think that's for production.

Interesting to see you have turned your attention to wagons. They're great fun.............NOT................Unless you have decent insignia transfers. Following a lousy Sunday faffing about with dried-out Pressfix and Methfix lacking sufficient adhesive, I am now squarely in the waterslide camp for 0 gauge wagons. 

Weathering of traditional wood and steel strapped wagons was not uniform Andy. The strapping was often much darker due to rust contamination while the timber varied. Good colour photos are the answer, something the current model magazines might consider. 'Backtrack' did it years ago.

Interesting to see you have turned your attention to wagons. They're great fun.............NOT................Unless you have decent insignia transfers. Following a lousy Sunday faffing about with dried-out Pressfix and Methfix lacking sufficient adhesive, I am now squarely in the waterslide camp for 0 gauge wagons. 

Weathering of traditional wood and steel strapped wagons was not uniform Andy. The strapping was often much darker due to rust contamination while the timber varied. Good colour photos are the answer, something the current model magazines might consider. 'Backtrack' did it years ago.

Thanks Larry, I think most, if not all photographers at the end of Steam concentrated on the Locos, and Passenger at that. Then when the Diesels came in, they wanted to photograph them, again forgetting what was behind them that earned their keep.

Yes it was actually, it sounded good and had superb slow running and gearbox changes. There was also an N Gauge Steam Loco with Sound, but I don't think that's for production.

The Farish 108 uses a ZIMO sound decoder, hence the great slow speed running (but not an MX695KV, LOL) and has been available since last autumn. a couple of dealers have told me they are very popular. First R-T-R sound fitted N gauge UK model apparently. 

The steam loco is a GWR Castle, again ZIMO sound. Release due May 2017. That'll be the first R-T-R sound fitted steamer in N gauge.

But was it three hours wasted? Think how many points you could get on an N gauge layout in your shed. Ha ha.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Buy a CHEAP couple of very old Wagons at Bristol and have a go mate, nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

Thats a good point actually, will have to keep my eye open.  The other option is my NE Brake Van may become the guinea pig once I've painted it - if it goes wrong, I can always repaint it!

The Farish 108 uses a ZIMO sound decoder, hence the great slow speed running (but not an MX695KV, LOL) and has been available since last autumn. a couple of dealers have told me they are very popular. First R-T-R sound fitted N gauge UK model apparently. 

The steam loco is a GWR Castle, again ZIMO sound. Release due May 2017. That'll be the first R-T-R sound fitted steamer in N gauge.

But was it three hours wasted? Think how many points you could get on an N gauge layout in your shed. Ha ha.

Kind regards,

Paul

Noooo! Paul, please don't go putting ideas into Andy's head.  Time on rmWeb looking at Beale Street and Bristol Vic 65% looking at other layouts and threads 35% ... I couldn't handle needing to keep up with a third layout from the talented AP!  Hehe :)

Rich

• Like 1

Thats a good point actually, will have to keep my eye open.  The other option is my NE Brake Van may become the guinea pig once I've painted it - if it goes wrong, I can always repaint it!

Noooo! Paul, please don't go putting ideas into Andy's head.  Time on rmWeb looking at Beale Street and Bristol Vic 65% looking at other layouts and threads 35% ... I couldn't handle needing to keep up with a third layout from the talented AP!  Hehe :)

Rich

I have made 2 x Storage shelves under Beale St and have a nice pair of bare boards crying out for some Track, hahahha

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• RMweb Gold

There's should be an rating button for 'holds head in hands and crys' hehe!!

TO be honest, I had a couple of years with N gauge about 20 years ago .. but found it too small for my liking - but each to their own!

Rich

There's should be an rating button for 'holds head in hands and crys' hehe!!

TO be honest, I had a couple of years with N gauge about 20 years ago .. but found it too small for my liking - but each to their own!

Rich

After my Trebudoc O Gauge Build I tried N Gauge, no it wasn't for me.

Glenfinick 6ft x 2ft

post-9335-0-44882900-1483899393_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-23439600-1483899461_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-40358300-1483899560_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

You say "it wasn't for me" but it was still a stunning bit of modelling mate, I remember it in the flesh, and it was even better than the photos above.

Al.

Al took the words out of my mouth - stunning layout Andy, not come across that before but really captures the essence of Scotland.  Can't wait to see how the scenery turns out on Beale Street for you.  My 'BIG' O gauge will be more industrialised, but I'm hoping to get some greenery on it!

Rich

You say "it wasn't for me" but it was still a stunning bit of modelling mate, I remember it in the flesh, and it was even better than the photos above.

Al.

Thanks Al, it was good to build, but standing behind to run it, one never saw the beauty of it, so no good at home, but good as a show Layout.