Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

SO Lets start a NEW PAGE with THE FINAL FINAL PLAN. :O 

Well its laid and it works, so that's a good sign.

First off we have a couple of crocodile clips and some power to the Track, the 08 IS actually moving.

post-9335-0-88226400-1484505905_thumb.jpg

Then with NO POWER a push along trial.

post-9335-0-26552000-1484506036_thumb.jpg

But where's it going?

post-9335-0-52477700-1484506234_thumb.jpg

Beale Street Yard is the answer my friends.

post-9335-0-72748400-1484506155_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-68914100-1484506175_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-52604700-1484506274_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-44249000-1484506313_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-73167800-1484506357_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-72259700-1484506378_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-17573800-1484506403_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-75383100-1484506454_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-67400800-1484507005_thumb.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive, Good to see you mate, well WHERE do you want me to start? :O

And for starters if I sat in the front seat, with NO other Passengers on board, it looks like it will tip forward, hahah :scared:  :scared: :scared:  

Anyway, the temptation to run one into the Buffers has now Well and Truly GONE. haha :sungum:

Hi Andrew P Railbus-Hater

They are great. Local legend has it that on a cold damp day it was not unknown for the fit passengers to jump down off the platform and help give the first "train" of the day from Maldon to Witham a bump start cos the batteries had gone flat. Couldn't do that with a Deltic.

Hi Andrew P Railbus-Hater

They are great. Local legend has it that on a cold damp day it was not unknown for the fit passengers to jump down off the platform and help give the first "train" of the day from Maldon to Witham a bump start cos the batteries had gone flat. Couldn't do that with a Deltic.

Hahhaha, and then you mention yet another of those Strange Locos that some people go mad over. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

Most strange. :sungum:

First off we have a couple of crocodile clips and some power to the Track, the 08 IS actually moving.

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 001.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 002.JPG

But where's it going?

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 009.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 005.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 006 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 008.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 010.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 012.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 013.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 014.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 017.JPG

attachicon.gifTHE PLANK.png

Hi Andy

Is this the final final plan or is there going to be a final, final, final plan? :jester:

By the way. It looks good

Edited by emt_911

I think it might look better if you could lengthen the brake van siding a couple of feet to be alongside the main for extra wagon storage then move the level crossing nearer to the fiddle yard end.  Moving the point for the siding nearer to the first point would make the yard less symetrical  :scratchhead:

Perhaps there isn't enough width to the plank for two tracks.

I think it might look better if you could lengthen the brake van siding a couple of feet to be alongside the main for extra wagon storage then move the level crossing nearer to the fiddle yard end.  Moving the point for the siding nearer to the first point would make the yard less symetrical  :scratchhead:

Hahah, Mick, I wish I had the room for all that, the Plank is only 6 inches wide, so no room to extend the Siding or move the Level Crossing as I wouldn't have the width on the Plank for the Signal Box to go next to it, (the Grey plate in the 4th photo).

Hahah, Mick, I wish I had the room for all that, the Plank is only 6 inches wide, so no room to extend the Siding or move the Level Crossing as I wouldn't have the width on the Plank for the Signal Box to go next to it, (the Grey plate in the 4th photo).

That's the trouble with 'O' gauge it takes too much room up 

You should lay the track then fit the baseboard around it :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Edited by Donington Road

O for O I guess, am I right?

You will have to check out Skaleby West to find out.

SO Lets start a NEW PAGE with THE FINAL FINAL PLAN. :O

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 001.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 002.JPG

But where's it going?

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 009.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 005.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 006 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 008.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 010.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 012.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 013.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 014.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Laid and Pushing 017.JPG

attachicon.gifTHE PLANK.png

This is the final, final plan

Before

The final, final, final plan.

Then

The absolute final, final, final, final plan.

And then

The chop the board up and build a railbus halt final plan.

Edited by andyram

That's the trouble with 'O' gauge it takes too much room up 

You should lay the track then fit the baseboard around it :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Mick's comments about the Sidings being symmetrical had me go out just now and have a look at slewing the Loading Dock across a bit and either put the Loading dock at the angle, or between the Tracks.

post-9335-0-65261700-1484515376_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Andy, are YOU happy with the way it looks?

If so, stick with the plan!

You have so many people giving "advice" that you're always in danger of feeling dissatisfied because of the conflicting views.

If you're happy with it, go with it.

Jeff

PS. I will add that Mick does have an eye for track arrangements - he got me to slew the track in the EM re-gauge of KL2.

Edited by Physicsman

Andy, are YOU happy with the way it looks?

If so, stick with the plan!

You have so many people giving "advice" that you're always in danger of feeling dissatisfied because of the conflicting views.

If you're happy with it, go with it.

Jeff

PS. I will add that Mick does have an eye for track arrangements - he got me to slew the track in the EM re-gauge of KL2.

Hi Jeff, Good to hear from you and your right, but some good points have been raised that I've overlooked. There will still need to be some fine tuning, and I could do with another left point to put the Brake Van Siding the other way around as a longish Departure Siding, it would still hold the Brake Van but be put there by the 08 Shunting the Yard.

• RMweb Gold

I think you may have reached a JDI  moment. There will always be alternative move this shorten that lengthen this turn that round. It is when you find that each change loses something you wanted and you start going round in circles you have to plump for one and JDI. 

Don

• Like 2

Andy

This is all a load of fun, I only wish I had had some input when designing Legge Lane. Well I did, actually, but not to the hourly extent you have received input!

It is interesting how you use pieces of track to try out different schemes. I decided, as a post-retirement exercise, to learn SketchUp and Templot when building two layouts in virtual reality. They worked well in practice but took time away from actual modelling. But at least the track was laid and trains did run! Now Shipston is moth balled but Legge Lane survives as a point-less setting for my locos. Point-less only in that it has no points, just a turntable.

All this talk of planks has me thinking about what I could do in an 8' x 2' space in Gauge O. But I keep getting expansive in the "what if" department. My latest fantasy was to model Gobowen in the mid 1950s but it would be too big a project. My first cop at Gobowen was a Chester Black 5 (we called them Mickeys back then) which did not appear in my Ian Allan Western Region book. All very confusing.

• Like 1

Ha ha, being an ex-engineer by trade, straight and parallel lines used to be my forte.  I could tell when something was 4 thou out per foot just by eyesight.

Now that I have succumbed to wearing varifocals all those straight lines have now become gentle curves. :stinker:

Such is life, but I still have to go around putting picture frames level and regimental after the wife has been dusting them :jester:

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha, being an ex-engineer by trade, straight and parallel lines used to be my forte.  I could tell when something was 4 thou out per foot just by eyesight.

Now that I have succumbed to wearing varifocals all those straight lines have now become gentle curves. :stinker:

Such is life, but I still have to go around putting picture frames level and regimental after the wife has been dusting them :jester:

You need to be an artist when planning where to lay tracks and an engineer when it comes to laying them.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Mick's comments about the Sidings being symmetrical had me go out just now and have a look at slewing the Loading Dock across a bit and either put the Loading dock at the angle, or between the Tracks.

attachicon.gifLoading Dock 1 003.JPG

What's wrong with symetrical?   Railway Engineers had slide rules and theodolites you know..............sometimes they were known to use them  :mail:

Hi Andy,

I think you are onto a winner here mate, The only thing I am not sure about is the short brake van siding. 

You have a nice scenic break between the layout and fiddleyard too. 

All the best with this one, Cheers Peter.