Any guesses? Some pre-Warley froth.

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Agree on DBSO , but while I would like a Blue/Grey and Scotrail versions I fear that the price of these will be prohibitive. As well as the price, there's the DCC provision, which I don't want, that also drives the price up. .

So it would be good for clarification

When will they arrive ( pigs in formation and ready for take off)

What is the DCC functionality and how will it run on DC .

What is the likely price.

In order.

"Whenever"

"No idea"

"£xxxx" to which the reply is "How much?!"

I'm looking forward to an announcement about a previous non-announcement that's confirming a rumour......

Cheers,

Mick

...For what it is worth (and that's not a lot) I think Bachmann have lost a lot of credibility over their excessive delays. It is all very well in putting your name against a model to warn other makers off it and I'm sure that worked well in the past...

For what it is worth, I don't feel Bach have lost a jot of credibility over their present delays, any more than Hornby did a few years past while exiting from Sanda Kan and bringing their current suppliers up to speed. What is engendered is disappointment at the hiatus in supply in the case of both companies, of what had been a generally well regarded stream of models, mostly arriving in a timely fashion. Hornby have picked themselves up again very effectively, and pretty sure Bachmann will too. A longer term perspective than the last ten minutes - we are more reasonable people than the short termism of the City types aren't we? - will surely observe layouts well populated with a lot of good product introduced over the past decade and a half, and realise that from that perspective we have had a good run.

When it comes to lack of credibility in RTR OO, for failing to produce product long ago announced, that's got a big 'D' marked on it. Had they not put their mark on such as the NBL 21/29, I feel we would have had a RTR model by now; likely manufacturer Heljan as part of their grand tour of BR's first gen. diesel disaster classes.

Looking at eBay, I'd just be happy if they pump out some more blue 31s. Most on eBay are not blue and are mazak explosions.

Gotta say although my majority fleet is blue box, the three from Hornby run more sweetly ( even with dubious roof fans turning )

Several items loom on the horizon.

Hornby Classic

Spurred on by the rise of vintage or retro, (teashops, clothes, cars etc) a range aimed at both hipsters and the grey pound. It marks a return to traditional styling cues but allied to modern oriental production techniques. The first model in the range will be a GWR Hall. Based on the latest Chinese produced item this model will feature wider wheels, deeper flanges (plastic for tender and pony truck) and moulded handrails instead of separately fitted items. Provision for dcc will be removed but the loco will be fully fitted for sound with an innovative sandpaper and scraper chuffing mechanism in the tender.

Hornby Transcontinental Apocalypse

Fully in keeping with the current zeitgeist Hornby have pulled out all the stops to bring this range forward for release early next year. The first tranche of models will feature a rocket launcher, helicopter, exploding box car, presidential vista dome observation car and propeller driven escape pod with ramming spike. Available in both stars and stripes, and hammer and sickle liveries. Commentators fear that this may add to Hornby's financial distress as already rumours of litigation and a forced re-branding to 'Trump Transcontinental Apocalypse' have surfaced.

I wonder whether both of these might actually be in with a chance? Hornby Classic could be up to date versions of the old Hornby Dublo locos, like Silver King, Barnstaple, Bristol Castle and the Duchess of Montrose, 8F, Standard 4 tank etc, all sold in retro Dublo-style boxes.

And I would love to see the old Transcontinental models done with decent mechanisms and wheels. I always thoughts the double-ended diesel (prototype Victoria Railway in Australia?) was a really attractive model. Most of us model made up places. Why not made up trains, too?

Well I'd like a loco for the GWR, but I'm not holding my breath.

If they are what is left, they've already done

28xx/38xx

42xx/52xx

Grange

Castle

King, and 

Hall.

What is missing from the range are the smaller engines, a new pannier or tank engine or one of the less standard tender engines. Now we have seen some of these being produced by Hornby for the other big four, perhaps it is time for one from the western region.

But if we are not to have duplication what is sensibly left, we already have 57xx/87xx, 45xx/55xx, 64xx, the Heljan and kernow saddle tanks and small pannier and Bachman's duke dog. 

It could be a new 61xx or one of its ilk (51xx etc) or perhaps and this really is a long shot something like an aberdare

Since Dave Jones said one or two manufacturers are working on a Class 86 and Class 87 or both and were quite advanced with it, I'd take a shot and say there's probably a Class 86 or a Class 87 coming from Hornby. However Hornby have always seemed so anti-ACelectric.

But I'm pretty sure there's another steam loco to be announced, noting says Hornby like a kettle!  :locomotive:

MGR Hopper you whopper..

Hornby have released more sparkies than anyone else.

Class 86

Class 90

Class 91

Class 92

Class 390

Class 395

and then they have also provided OHLE over the years, ok they may not of been the best but that's

Then they added the ex Lima Class 87.

Who wouldn't like current state of the art models but when people keep coming out with miss information and myth, I think that does stop the groundswell of wanting new stuff,

• RMweb Gold

28xx/38xx

42xx/52xx

Grange

Castle

King, and 

Hall.

What is missing from the range are the smaller engines, a new pannier or tank engine or one of the less standard tender engines. Now we have seen some of these being produced by Hornby for the other big four, perhaps it is time for one from the western region.

But if we are not to have duplication what is sensibly left, we already have 57xx/87xx, 45xx/55xx, 64xx, the Heljan and kernow saddle tanks and small pannier and Bachman's duke dog. 

It could be a new 61xx or one of its ilk (51xx etc) or perhaps and this really is a long shot something like an aberdare

A better Big Prairie is the obvious GWR "pick" together with the Mogul and Manor so long as Hornby are willing to risk possibly duplicating upgraded Bachmann products that might have been under development on the quiet.

The Bachmann tanks aren't state-of-the-art but they have been around for quite a while and sold in good numbers. Producing duplicates that are sufficiently superior to persuade us to replace existing locos rather than buy all-new items is probably a non-starter against the backdrop of rising prices.  

While there are still uncovered prototypes to provide it, all the manufacturers like the "base load" that significant numerical survival into BR livery offers and that tends to cause things like Aberdares, Bulldogs and Saints to be pushed down the pecking order. 

John

• RMweb Gold

MGR Hopper you whopper..

Hornby have released more sparkies than anyone else.

Class 86

Class 90

Class 91

Class 92

Class 390

Class 395

and then they have also provided OHLE over the years, ok they may not of been the best but that's

Then they added the ex Lima Class 87.

Who wouldn't like current state of the art models but when people keep coming out with miss information and myth, I think that does stop the groundswell of wanting new stuff,

Plus...

APT

and a class 81, EM1 and a steeplecab (best forgotten) in the far away past too

A better Big Prairie is the obvious GWR "pick" together with the Mogul and Manor so long as Hornby are willing to risk possibly duplicating upgraded Bachmann products that might have been under development on the quiet.

The Bachmann tanks aren't state-of-the-art but they have been around for quite a while and sold in good numbers. Producing duplicates that are sufficiently superior to persuade us to replace existing locos rather than buy all-new items is probably a non-starter against the backdrop of rising prices.  

While there are still uncovered prototypes to provide it, all the manufacturers like the "base load" that significant numerical survival into BR livery offers and that tends to cause things like Aberdares, Bulldogs and Saints to be pushed down the pecking order. 

John

True but we have had a Saint before, if not a very good one. The problem I have with suggestions like the Saint and Manor is that, welcome as they would be, its all much of a muchness* - I would like to see something different - that's what makes engines like the Dukedog and the Dean goods more attractive.

*yes I know this is sacrilege and I shall go now and wash my mouth out with soap

• RMweb Gold

True but we have had a Saint before, if not a very good one. The problem I have with suggestions like the Saint and Manor is that, welcome as they would be, its all much of a muchness* - I would like to see something different - that's what makes engines like the Dukedog and the Dean goods more attractive.

*yes I know this is sacrilege and I shall go now and wash my mouth out with soap

I do hope you aren't suggesting that all GWR 4-6-0s look the same. :devil:

28xx/38xx

42xx/52xx

Grange

Castle

King, and 

Hall.

What's missing?

Models that need a total revamp as they are well over 30 years old....

78XX Manor

29XX Saint

10XX County

41XX/51XX/61XX 2-6-2T

43XX/53XX/etc. 2-6-0

2721 0-6-0PT - or similar pre 1923 pannier

Diesel Rail Car - the angular type that Lima used to make would probably be a good seller. Dapol are making the earlier version apparently.....

New models

15XX 0-6-0PT - although I reckon Bachmann would be better making this as they've already done the USA tank which is similar

16XX 0-6-0PT

1101 0-4-0T - cute little engines that were also used in industry. Cadbury's would be a good seller.

26XX Aberdare 2-6-0

111 The Great Bear 4-6-2 - If they can sell P2s then why not?

Jason

I forgot the APT :stinker:  :beee:

as for the others yeah

my view is that the original poster was talking about being anti AC-electric in recent times with the constant churning out of 30 plus year old models rather than fresh ones.

you could argue the new class 71 flies against this possibly anti electric theory so who knows really.  a 71 has a far smaller geographical area to be of more a mainstream interest with say the class 86 benefitting modellers of a variety of regions.......I really hope to be proven wrong and heres to Hornby doing something for AC electric fans especially to the standards of their HST or 50 or 56 etc. 

Archived