SuperCarver laser - any good?

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have any knowledge of these which do seem a very low-cost entry level machine for a complete novice like myself:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282259639028?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks.

only a 1 watt laser and max area 38mm square not much good even for 2mm dont think the laser will cut anything except maybe paper, the  emblaser is ten times the price but a much better machine  

Nick

I've not had direct experience of the machine - but looking around the Web it seems to be a highly proprietary closed system (think Apple Mac vs. IBM PC).

It is designed around only the 'approved' filament - and that seems only to be PLA. Oh, and it's only sold in half kilos when one kilo is pretty much standard, I recently bought a kilo of 1.75 filament from a reputable dealer for £30.00 including carriage.

As supplied printing ABS will be highly problematic, no heated print bed, for a start, and the hot end is constrained to 230C which might be a tad low. Anyway I can't see an approved ABS filament on sale.  :scratchhead:

It seems that there are people  looking at hacking the machine and are running up against the proprietary firmware - which means that Dremel are the only source of upgrades and bug fixes!

I think it's a repeat of the ink jet printer marketing ploy - sell the hardware cheap (and it's not that cheap) and cash in on selling the materials needed.

Have a look around the 'net Dennis, there area lot of community based projects which might provide what you want, affordably.

Archived