Looking to dip my toes into 0-16.5

jetmorgan

I've been looking to dip my toes into a narrow gauge layout and after having a small 009 layout alongside my 00 gauge, long since gone to model railway heaven, I thought I'd go a bit bigger and try 0-16.5.

I'm looking to scratchbuild freelance locos and rolling stock but using old Hornby & Lima 00 guage chassis and chopping up the bodies for parts, the old Smokey Joe 0-4-0 loco is one that I know is often used but also 0-6-0 chassis that can be modified to say a 2-6-0 or 2-6-2 say. Using things like the old Hornby 4 wheel coach chassis with a cut n'shut/scratchbuilt body on the top.

My only problem is not having any sort of plans that can give me a width & height that is an ideal for the locos and rolling stock. I appreciate being freelance that they can in theory be any width or height I like but I don't want things looking to wide & silly. I do like that look of narrow gauge that is loa with a nice amount of overhang either side of the driving wheels and frames....something similar to the locos on the Vale of Rheidol railway....I do remember seeing some planes for those locos in an old copy of either RM or MRC

I'd thoroughly recommend joining the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling Online forum, as they're very friendly and helpful. I don't think anyone is doing exactly what you want to do at the moment, but it's similar to my plans. They can probably help with dimensions and sources of drawings though. You have to register to get access, but don't need any secret handshakes, or to worry about any dodgy internet security stuff.

I would keep away from the older chassis and go for more modern better running models, Smallbrook models do sell conversion parts for RTR chassis, building one of these may give you a better understanding of the loading gauge etc

http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/products/4569521210/0e---7mm-Narrow-Gauge

Also the 7 mm Narrow Gauge Association have published books of plans, some are still in print and well worth getting

http://7mmnga.org.uk/sales/publications.php

• RMweb Premium

I would keep away from the older chassis and go for more modern better running models, Smallbrook models do sell conversion parts for RTR chassis, building one of these may give you a better understanding of the loading gauge etc

http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/products/4569521210/0e---7mm-Narrow-Gauge

Also the 7 mm Narrow Gauge Association have published books of plans, some are still in print and well worth getting

http://7mmnga.org.uk/sales/publications.php

Sound advice there from John about NGRM and the other John about Smallbrook and 7mmNGA - of the publications by the Association, you may want to get started with 'Getting Started' which was first written many years ago and has been updated several times as new stock comes along and older models become obsolete.

The first part of the new ‘Getting Started’ Handbook provides a general introduction to modelling narrow gauge railways in the O Gauge group of scales. This is followed by five ‘Quick Start Projects’ in which two experienced modellers describe, with plenty of photographs, five sample projects which might be undertaken by a newcomer to this branch of the model railway hobby. These are:-

• Converting a small OO standard gauge locomotive to O-16.5 narrow gauge,
  • Re-bodying an OO wagon to make an O-16.5 one,
  • Building a resin kit for a simple locomotive,
  • Using PECO coach kits to make a bogie coach, and
  • Recycling reclaimed rail to make track.

http://7mmnga.org.uk/sales/publication_details.php?ref=HB01

Also 'Getting Rolling' is specifically about rolling stock and goes into more detail about conversions, kit building and scratchbuilding

http://7mmnga.org.uk/sales/publication_details.php?ref=HB05

Looking at your location I wonder if you went to Swanley last month for ExpoNG ?  The next big show where you will find everything you need will be Shepton Mallet in February. Your nearest Area Group is based in Surrey and they have a mini exhibition in April.

Details here  http://7mmnga.org.uk/documents/20170422Surrey%20Area%20Group%20NARR-O.pdf

Sound advice there from John about NGRM and the other John about Smallbrook and 7mmNGA - of the publications by the Association, you may want to get started with 'Getting Started' which was first written many years ago and has been updated several times as new stock comes along and older models become obsolete.

http://7mmnga.org.uk/sales/publication_details.php?ref=HB01

Also 'Getting Rolling' is specifically about rolling stock and goes into more detail about conversions, kit building and scratchbuilding

http://7mmnga.org.uk/sales/publication_details.php?ref=HB05

Looking at your location I wonder if you went to Swanley last month for ExpoNG ?  The next big show where you will find everything you need will be Shepton Mallet in February. Your nearest Area Group is based in Surrey and they have a mini exhibition in April.

Details here  http://7mmnga.org.uk/documents/20170422Surrey%20Area%20Group%20NARR-O.pdf

Many thanks for the information, and the advice from Hayfield & BG John. No sadly I didn't know about the ExpoNG and Swanley isn't a million miles away. I don't think I had any leaflets about the exhibition, I usually pick up a handful of leaflets at the other exhibitions I go to, Tonbridge, Uckfield, London Festival and I don't recall seeing any...but I may well be wrong. I'll have to remember it for next year...just hope the show is after the 25th of the month as that's payday.

I've joined the NGRM and I'm signing up for the 7mmnga as well...had a browse through the publications so might order some of the plans books as a xmas treat to myself...depending on how much of my bonus money is left after after paying out xmas bills!!!

Everything has to be on a really really tight budget as I might only have £20 to spend on the layout in any month...if I haven't bought things for the garden or had to pay for petrol for the car.

Are you going to have a go at the Dave Brewer Challenge? It seems like a good way to dip your toe in the water. I'm planning something, but it's very unlikely I'll actually enter it, as Swanley is a long way away. It's good practice though.

• RMweb Premium

The next major narrow gauge event is in February in Shepton Mallet

I understand that this will the largest ever NG held at Shepton Mallet sadly to mark the end of this annual event.

I will be there with my NG layout Alstone Quay which features in this months RM ( December 2016)

Eltel

Everything has to be on a really really tight budget as I might only have £20 to spend on the layout in any month...if I haven't bought things for the garden or had to pay for petrol for the car.

Back in the 50's & 60's money was always very tight and modellers always made models out of what was available (this was before the word recycle became in vogue) Card boxes were used along with Tin cans, wooden packaging etc. Just look out for what can be used. Coffee stirrers for sleepers, plastic packaging etc. At work look out for discarded items. We seem to have lost the knack of making things from everyday items 

Several years ago I was considering a move into 'G' scale and a wise old sage told me "Whatever you do, get some track down and get something running." I didn't and it fell through. I moved through 009 to O16.5 and have a small layout with stock and it is the most advanced I've been in years.

I honestly suggest you do try to get something up and running. I was in my local ASDA last week and noticed they have an 'exclusive' Hornby offer of an oval of track, a 'Smokey Joe' type 0-4-0 and two wagons all for £49. It comes with a basic power pack too. This would form an ideal basis for a test track and stock. Smallbrook produce a range of credible conversion kits for the 0-4-0 as well as ng wagon bodies.

As long as you have a piece of chipboard or similar to fix the track to, you're on the way.

Good luck, and come back to show us what you're doing!

Ken

Several years ago I was considering a move into 'G' scale and a wise old sage told me "Whatever you do, get some track down and get something running." I didn't and it fell through. I moved through 009 to O16.5 and have a small layout with stock and it is the most advanced I've been in years.

I honestly suggest you do try to get something up and running. I was in my local ASDA last week and noticed they have an 'exclusive' Hornby offer of an oval of track, a 'Smokey Joe' type 0-4-0 and two wagons all for £49. It comes with a basic power pack too. This would form an ideal basis for a test track and stock. Smallbrook produce a range of credible conversion kits for the 0-4-0 as well as ng wagon bodies.

As long as you have a piece of chipboard or similar to fix the track to, you're on the way.

Ken

I'll have a look out for that...no idea where my local Asda. I'll need to get the baseboards sorted for that first but I already have most of the material for it as I've been skip diving locally and I have 6 sheets of plywood 2x4. And it's cabinet grade ply as well from a nearby cabinet building company, so solid ply with no voids...none of that cheap useless stuff from the DIY stores. Also another large piece of ply, about 4x4 with a wood batten frame that was some display stand from a company that makes special socks for kids with bent feet & legs. Just need to get the sheets of 2x4 cut in half along their length then cut the ends at angles to form an oval layout. The piece of 4x4 ply will be the baseboard that forms the station, shed and town area. I'll have to get something down on paper to give a better idea. An idea is to have 2 lines on the same layout...one run by steam locos and another run with overhead electric EMU style trains, something like Switzerland or Isle of Man. But It's very early days yet and I have a number of other projects on the go at the moment and money needs to go toward a new sliding mitre saw for current & future garden projects...and also a new table saw for other garden projects as well as model railway projects. I also have two OO gauge projects on the go at the moment which will take more of a priority.

post-5014-0-32663900-1479654727_thumb.jpg

I'll have a look out for that...no idea where my local Asda. I'll need to get the baseboards sorted for that first but I already have most of the material for it as I've been skip diving locally and I have 6 sheets of plywood 2x4. And it's cabinet grade ply as well from a nearby cabinet building company, so solid ply with no voids...none of that cheap useless stuff from the DIY stores. Also another large piece of ply, about 4x4 with a wood batten frame that was some display stand from a company that makes special socks for kids with bent feet & legs. Just need to get the sheets of 2x4 cut in half along their length then cut the ends at angles to form an oval layout. The piece of 4x4 ply will be the baseboard that forms the station, shed and town area. I'll have to get something down on paper to give a better idea. An idea is to have 2 lines on the same layout...one run by steam locos and another run with overhead electric EMU style trains, something like Switzerland or Isle of Man. But It's very early days yet and I have a number of other projects on the go at the moment and money needs to go toward a new sliding mitre saw for current & future garden projects...and also a new table saw for other garden projects as well as model railway projects. I also have two OO gauge projects on the go at the moment which will take more of a priority.

Another narrow gauge system using overhead electric power is the FEVE in Spain, which might be worth a look as well for inspiration.

Another narrow gauge system using overhead electric power is the FEVE in Spain, which might be worth a look as well for inspiration.

My original inspiration for an overhead electric section on the layout is that well know video of the Albanian ignite mine with the loco driver holding the pantograph onto the electric wire at head height and my plan was to incorporate something like that going around a small quarry with the steam line being a preserved line. But I also saw a photo on one of the threads on the forum of a single coach with a tall diamond shape pantograph fitted to the roof, reminiscent of the class 76's. I can't find the photo now but it was an old black & white photo...I presume of some mountain railway in Switzerland or Italy or somewhere like that, the coach was in that Victorian/Edwardian build style. My thoughts were of building 2 coach bodies, one as a motor car and the other as a trailer but having the unusual wheel arrangement of a fixed wheel at one end and a bogie at the other. I like that early era of railway design when engineers tried out any ideas.

Ken

I would go into either a model railway shop or to an exhibition and buy some cheap second hand items, that's if you have nothing to hand. Joining a club is another good option

My thoughts were of building 2 coach bodies, one as a motor car and the other as a trailer but having the unusual wheel arrangement of a fixed wheel at one end and a bogie at the other. I like that early era of railway design when engineers tried out any ideas.

Try buying a cheap Kato N gauge chassis and pantograph

post-1131-0-39438900-1479717766.jpg

Chassis about £9 and pantographs £5 a pair from Japan, having similar ideas about a small layout

Try buying a cheap Kato N gauge chassis and pantograph

attachicon.gif45.JPG

Chassis about £9 and pantographs £5 a pair from Japan, having similar ideas about a small layout

Had a look at the gaugemaster website and seen the N gauge spares...do they do the same for HO??? as my plan is for 0-16.5 rather than 009. At 45 i'm getting old, and my fingers and my eyes aren't what they used to be  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  and I won't even mention my brain!!!

I have been looking at getting old Marklin/Fleischmann as well as long as they are really cheap enough on Ebay for sources of spares and to cut n'shut

I could be very wrong, but I always get the feeling they are expensive

Looking on a well known auction site 00/H0 ones are quite expensive in comparison

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marklin-7218-Double-Arm-Pantograph-HO-Gauge-/311698142640?hash=item4892a835b0:g:5bYAAOSwmfhX2Xa6

Hornby spares are also quite cheap

Or in pairs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HO-TWO-Sommerfeldt-pantographs-for-electric-FS-Italian-locos-old-no-1017-/391625111691?hash=item5b2eacf88b:g:U74AAOSwImRYLK74

Someone else may know where to find a cheaper options

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is also a rack railway in southern france that uses 3 phase AC and timber bodied locos and coaches which were its original stock. Again the coaches use bogie one end and a fixed axle the other. I took a fair few photos and a couple of videos when I visited a couple of years back, which I can put up if you want....

I've quite fancied modelling it, but it's finding somewhere to put it (my staircase isn't wide enough....)

Andy G

Archived