Fitting SWD Sound to new Hornby King.

mjcbasingstoke

I can't speak for the R3410 but have worked on a few of the TTS Kings (R3370TTS) and assume that the internal workings would be the same.  Most of the modern tenders appear to be "sound-ready" and just require the tender weight to be removed and a round speaker (28 or 30mm - I can't remember exactly off hand) just drops in facing down under the weight ensuring there are no metal bits touching the contacts, then just wire up and connect to the 8pin socket.  Tender body handrails can be a bit tricky to locate back in the holes when refitting, but I'm sure there is plenty of room inside and even the TTS version sounds quite good.

Hope this helps

Rich

I have bought a SWD sound chip (84320) for the new Hornby King (R3410). I though it might be an easy job but this proved to be more difficult than I thought.

Has anyone managed to fit the SWD sound chip and if so what speaker was used.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

We used the largest speakers we could get in the tender & a sugar cube in the loco while putting on our Locoman Sounds,

I can't speak for the R3410 but have worked on a few of the TTS Kings (R3370TTS) and assume that the internal workings would be the same.  Most of the modern tenders appear to be "sound-ready" and just require the tender weight to be removed and a round speaker (28 or 30mm - I can't remember exactly off hand) just drops in facing down under the weight ensuring there are no metal bits touching the contacts, then just wire up and connect to the 8pin socket.  Tender body handrails can be a bit tricky to locate back in the holes when refitting, but I'm sure there is plenty of room inside and even the TTS version sounds quite good.

Hope this helps

Rich

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I found the 28mm to big and so went for a 23mm. I first used the SWD normal LS decoder but found I had to change to the Micro as there is not much room once the speaker is fitted. Thanks again for the reply.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I found the 28mm to big and so went for a 23mm. I first used the SWD normal LS decoder but found I had to change to the Micro as there is not much room once the speaker is fitted. Thanks again for the reply.

We cut away the coal bunker to allow more space, we fitted the attached 8Ohm speaker + a 8Ohm sugar cube, from Legomanbiffo/DCKits in the loco, the sound is just Mega.  

The 23mm sadly will sound like a £1.50 23mm speaker.   Charlie

post-3411-0-19614200-1479939391.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

The Hornby tender is designed to accept a 28mm diameter speaker and it is the right size, you will probably need to trim some of the ribbing to get the speaker to sit flat and allow the weight to be refitted.  Once that's  done seal it with black or blue tack.  I have installed the 28mm speaker in Hall's and Castles with no problems.  By sealing the speaker diaphragm rim the tender body provides the resonance chamber.

Mike

We cut away the coal bunker to allow more space, we fitted the attached 8Ohm speaker + a 8Ohm sugar cube, from Legomanbiffo/DCKits in the loco, the sound is just Mega.  

The 23mm sadly will sound like a £1.50 23mm speaker.   Charlie

Quote - "we fitted the attached 8Ohm speaker"

Interesting -  I thought these ABC 28x40 's were only available in 4Ohm ? 

Archived