Noisy Class 24

Les Bird

My Bachmann Class 24 which has run impeccably until now has started making an annoying high pitched squeal in one direction. I've taken it apart and run the motor with both bogies removed and it's virtually silent. Rotating the drive shafts by hand on both bogies reveals no tight spots or any other obvious problems. I've lubricated (sparingly) all the bearings and gears but the noise persists, apparently from one bogie. Any suggestions?

High pitched squeal = probably motor shaft speed component, which I assume you know from the diagnostic path followed. It's only happening under load, since this shafting is silent with the bogies removed. Top suspect would be the worm bearings on the tower of the noisy bogie, possibly the shaft coupler cup in the flywheel slipping, but that's usually silent.

Less likely, sometimes a wiper pick up can 'scream': flying leads to power the inverted unit and get it screaming, then in turn move each wiper off the wheelback with a cocktail stick or fine probe to see if you can eliminate the noise that way.

Do tell when you track it down.

I had the bearings on top of the gear towers (only when under load) on 2 Hornby diesels. Admittedly the towers are open on the Hornby locos so are easy to oil once you reach then.

Had no problems with Bachmann though but the designs of both are quite similar.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Les,

I had this problem with a Bachmann 24. my solution was to order new bogies from Bachmann. Fitted these and the problem was cured. I contacted Bachmann through their website and they replied next day with the price which was paid through PayPal. I was pleased with the way they coduct their supply of spares, very quick and efficient service.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck.

MickD.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Les,

I had this problem with a Bachmann 24. my solution was to order new bogies from Bachmann. Fitted these and the problem was cured. I contacted Bachmann through their website and they replied next day with the price which was paid through PayPal. I was pleased with the way they coduct their supply of spares, very quick and efficient service.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck.

MickD.

Could I ask how much they charged? I've got a 20 with a similar issue.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Sorry can't remember how much, but wasn't dear or I wouldn't have bothered!!.

Just get in touch with Bachmann through their web site and enquire, they are very helpful.

Hope that helps.

MickD.

Archived