BRM Warley subscription free loco offer

James Makin

• RMweb Gold

We will be sending a separate offer next week to cater for those who can't attend Warley. If we have any locos left, we may include these in this offer but the subscription price may be different to cover postage etc.

Excellent, Steve, I look forward to seeing it. The mag seems to be going from strength to strength now, and as I am buying it every month, I was thinking of taking out a sub, but cant make it to Warley. 

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't find any info on the links at all, but just wondered what the locomotive would be, is it a good one?

I would be tempted to subscribe depending if the loco was on my 'hit list' :)

I can't imagine it being anything very special, but got to be worth a look for anyone considering subscribing.

If it's a small German outline shunter, I might be persuaded to Köf up.

Wait a second - BRM is short for British Railway Modelling - looks like my wallet should be safe, for now.

Sensibly pragmatic. :)

We're not going to spill the beans beforehand, visitors can come and have a look on the stand (which is on the reverse of the Hornby stand).

Hi James,

Thanks for the question. You'll need to visit the BRM stand to find out, but there is a choice of 4 locomotives. If these aren't of your taste, we will have a couple of alternative offers that we hope will take your fancy.

Steve

You're right...come and take a look. If they're not of interest we will have a couple of additional offers.

Oh absolutely; and if they don't I shall explain that this gentleman will be paying a visit to have a stern word or two.

You make this sound like a very reasonable offer - an offer we can't refuse.

Anyway, I'm not too worried as long as these locos don't turn out to be Hornby 0-4-0s - tanks or "06" types - in a choice of silly colour schemes, with a horse's head on the front. I'm not too worried as long as I don't get introduced to some scary looking guy - who calmly informs me that, in 5 minutes' time, either my signature or my brains will be on a subscription form.

Somehow, I'm not expecting that sort of thing to happen - so I'll just have to see if the subs offer is interesting enough to persuade me to deny my local corner newsagent my custom for my monthly BRM "fix".

Huw.

• Administrators

If it's a small German outline shunter, I might be persuaded to Köf up.

Wait a second - BRM is short for British Railway Modelling - looks like my wallet should be safe, for now.

You make this sound like a very reasonable offer - an offer we can't refuse.

Anyway, I'm not too worried as long as these locos don't turn out to be Hornby 0-4-0s - tanks or "06" types - in a choice of silly colour schemes, with a horse's head on the front. I'm not too worried as long as I don't get introduced to some scary looking guy - who calmly informs me that, in 5 minutes' time, either my signature or my brains will be on a subscription form.

Somehow, I'm not expecting that sort of thing to happen - so I'll just have to see if the subs offer is interesting enough to persuade me to deny my local corner newsagent my custom for my monthly BRM "fix".

Huw.

Don't worry, I don't look TOO scary.

But, if the loco doesn't appeal we will have other options available. Either way, come and say hello...

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry, I don't look TOO scary.

But, if the loco doesn't appeal we will have other options available. Either way, come and say hello...

It's OK - I've probably met most of the BRM / RMweb / Warners team at shows in the past - and I'm looking forward to meeting as many as possible on Sunday.

I was clearly joking with the oblique references to "The Godfather" - in fact, I think the subs offer sounds very reasonable.

Anyway, with Andy's comment (and photo) a few posts back, I think jokes like mine were inevitable.

I'm looking forward to Sunday.

Huw.

I'm curious (yes, I know...) as to how the mailshot was generated*?

Reason I'm asking, is many moons ago I signed up to one of the Warners promo's (can't remember which one, it really was many moons ago). Now, I think this is the first related mail I can recall receiving. Coincidence, or new marketing spiel?

* No malice intended by this enquiry., I'm not devastated to receive the mail, even though I won't be taking advantage.

Not having had any direct contact or subscription with BRM I assumed it was simply because I am a member of RMweb.

Brian

• Administrators

Not having had any direct contact or subscription with BRM I assumed it was simply because I am a member of RMweb.

Brian

Yes, the email was also sent to all registered RMweb members who agreed to be sent marketing from RMweb. We hardly ever do this, but with this offer being so good we decided it was only right to make all RMweb members aware. 

Yes, the email was also sent to all registered RMweb members who agreed to be sent marketing from RMweb. We hardly ever do this, but with this offer being so good we decided it was only right to make all RMweb members aware. 

Did you also decide not to send it to existing subscribers?

Ed

• Administrators

Did you also decide not to send it to existing subscribers?

Ed

No, it was sent to our full list from RMweb - with the exception of those who don't want any marketing activity. RMweb doesn't link with our subscriptions database software so there's no way of targeting non-subs only. It might be in your SPAM folder?

• RMweb Gold

No, it was sent to our full list from RMweb - with the exception of those who don't want any marketing activity. RMweb doesn't link with our subscriptions database software so there's no way of targeting non-subs only. It might be in your SPAM folder?

Doesn't sound half as 'interesting' as some of the stuff I get in my spam folder - if you get my drift ;:jester:

This will be my first ever visit to the Warley Show, and this offer certainly makes it even more exciting! :locomotive: Been thinking about subscribing to the magazine again and this make it all the more perfect timing to do so! Looking forward to seeing Andy and the Team behind RMweb as well.  ;)

• Administrators

This will be my first ever visit to the Warley Show, and this offer certainly makes it even more exciting! :locomotive: Been thinking about subscribing to the magazine again and this make it all the more perfect timing to do so! Looking forward to seeing Andy and the Team behind RMweb as well.  ;)

Great - we'll hopefully see you at the show.

• Administrators

While you are queueing to fill out the subscription forms and collect your goodie bags, I'll have a few models on display.

There will be our 009 layout, “Owen's Bridge”, the new N gauge layout and while we don't have a Christmas tree, there is something much better.

wagon display.jpg

All the “Wagon kits in every scale” built in BRM earlier this year. Something for everyone!

Between the BRM offer and one item that I know a box shifter will have at the NEC at a good price, it is a little tempting to go this weekend.

But having attended this exhibition once before I swore I would never go back again. There is a lot at this exhibition, it cannot be denied. But cramped into such a small part of a hall makes it such an unpleasant experience to get from one end to the other.

I really am at a loss to understand why this exhibition is considered to be the 'ultimate' event of the diary. Maybe one day Warner's will add to its three excellent shows by putting on an Autumn/Winter event in the Midlands. I know from speaking to several exhibitors over these past few years that they feel obliged to attend the NEC, rather than doing so out of choice; I have not heard a bad word said about the Warner events from any trader. No subtle hints, you understand.

Sorry, that might be a bit off topic.

Thanks for the reply Steve. I can't find it there or in trash. I suppose I must be on the RMweb list, can't remember being asked about marketing but if I was I may have said no. I do get stuff about the shows and other stuff.

Ed

• Administrators

But having attended this exhibition once before I swore I would never go back again. There is a lot at this exhibition, it cannot be denied. But cramped into such a small part of a hall makes it such an unpleasant experience to get from one end to the other.

The aisles have grown in size over the years but it's a popular show so there will be crowds. Visit on Sunday for an easier walk around - the 60:40 Sat:Sun visitor ratio holds good for the NEC as it does at all other shows.

Thanks Phil.

I didn't mean to be quite so negative, but I did find last year (or the year before) it to be pretty grim and left after I bought the few items I wanted. Then sat in the pub waiting 3 hours for my pre-booked train.

I will wait and see what announcements are made on here on Saturday; I'm sure there will be plenty.

• RMweb Gold

While you are queueing to fill out the subscription forms and collect your goodie bags, I'll have a few models on display.

There will be our 009 layout, “Owen's Bridge”, the new N gauge layout and while we don't have a Christmas tree, there is something much better!

Don't tell me - Hornby 0-4-0 tanks - in 4 highly improbable colour schemes - with "BRM" printed on the sides - and some guy in Coca-Cola company colours (who looks like he's just stepped out of a Haddon H Sundblom painting) with his head sticking out of the cab window. I'm not sure exactly what he's supposed to be about to say, but "Ho! Ho! Ho!" is probably as good a guess as anything else.

Joking aside, I'd be very surprised if any of the mainstream mags - especially BRM - were even to consider stooping so low as to inflict all that "festive" c#@p on us. To be honest, I don't think they'd need to - and I don't think they'd get away with it it if they tried.

I clearly can't comment about anyone else, but I've never accepted bribes - and I've never been for sale

("C'mon guys, how many times do I need to tell you? Kindly wait until after I've finished typing before passing me that bottle of Port.")

Sorry about that interruption - normal (dis)service should be resumed any time soon.

Seriously though, my sense of humour is notoriously dry. Anyway, I'm sure the BRM stand should be worth a visit, even if it's only for the chance to inflict myself on the team catch up with the team (although I'm sure there'll be more to it than that).

Whatever the score, I don't think I can really blame a spellchecker for all the Freudian slips "typing errors". I'm just very tired - well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it … .

All the best to everyone, for this weekend's Warley show.

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

How on earth can that be possible? (not disputing/arguing, just rather puzzled). Assuming the magazine was published without any cost or profit that wouldn't cover the cost price from Bachmann.

From memory (2012?) the offer was limited to a fixed amount of subscriptions on a first come basis although there seemed to be plenty being handed out.

I was operating Alloa and could only manage over in the afternoon but they were still available.

I received 76114 a Scottish example there and then for a subscription although it might have been two years from memory?..anyone?..however considering I buy the mag on a monthly basis anyway it  was still a generous offer.

I take it Bachmann provided the locos in return for advertising/promition..whatever it was still a fantastic deal for their customers. 

Dave.  

I took up the offer for the Std 4 at Warley - think it is more than 2 years ago - 3 or 4 wouldn't surprise me. The loco was a BRM commission that had been offered at some time before Warley, it came with a certificate and I think the selling point was 'last steam loco built at Doncaster'. Mine is still boxed, I didn't need a Std 4 but given that I was buying the magazine monthly anyway it was effectively free. If the loco at Warley is vaguely desirable I will probably take up this offer.

Great - we'll hopefully see you at the show.

Sounds like an offer not to be missed and judging from pass offers, a good one. I'm up for it.

Sorry, if these questions have been answered:

Will the offer be one that you walk away with at the end of the day, or is 'Loco' for example, sent after the event? For there's going to be a hell of a queue and a half on the day.

Will the be enough stock to go round? It would be a shame to miss out on.

• Administrators

Sounds like an offer not to be missed and judging from pass offers, a good one. I'm up for it.

Sorry, if these questions have been answered:

Will the offer be one that you walk away with at the end of the day, or is 'Loco' for example, sent after the event? For there's going to be a hell of a queue and a half on the day.

Will the be enough stock to go round? It would be a shame to miss out on.

Stock will be at the show and we have a lot of stock, but once it's gone, it's gone.

Archived