BRM Warley subscription free loco offer

James Makin

Guest eddie reffin

We will be sending a separate offer next week to cater for those who can't attend Warley. If we have any locos left, we may include these in this offer but the subscription price may be different to cover postage etc.

Hi Steve,

That's ok but I haven't received any emails (have checked the various filters) so how will I know about this offer?

Guest eddie reffin

Forgive my negativity but this sounds a lot like the airbrush fiasco a number of years ago which caused me to stop subscribing.

• Administrators

Forgive my negativity but this sounds a lot like the airbrush fiasco a number of years ago which caused me to stop subscribing.

No fiasco here. We're taking the locomotives - either you like them or you don't. Once they're gone we'll offer an alternative, but we won't be taking orders for stock we haven't physically got. Even if the locos aren't of your fancy, the actual subs offer itself is incredibly cheap.

• RMweb Gold

Now if it was a Stirling Single, I'd get on the plane myself, open up a new UK bank account and subscribe. :)

Hope you all have a great show.

Cheers

Jason

• RMweb Premium
..... Will the offer be one that you walk away with .....

Stock will be at the show and we have a lot of stock, but once it's gone, it's gone.

Better dust off the rucksacks then chaps.

Thanks for the reply Steve. I can't find it there or in trash. I suppose I must be on the RMweb list, can't remember being asked about marketing but if I was I may have said no. I do get stuff about the shows and other stuff.

Ed

I'm in this boat too. I get emails from RMWeb from time to time and don't remember ticking any marketing boxes at any point, but I didn't receive an email with this offer. Unfortunately i can't attend Warley so it looks like I will miss out on this potential opportunity this time.

The email came from 'World of Railways' as the sender so search for that, not RM Web or BRM

Last email I've had from 'World of Railways' was on the 17th June this year, a BRM subscription offer, nothing since! Nothing in my junk mail folder and I haven't changed my marketing preferences since then (if ever!).

Odd!

However, email or no email I'm not going to be able to get to Warley anyway sadly.

• RMweb Gold

The locos were only small 0-4-0s... 3 steam and the red diesel one...Don't know the specifics... Not my cup of tea at least. Maybe if they offer that Hornby IEP train next year ;)

Don't wish to sound negative or ungrateful, but some of us have slightly different tastes - which aren't likely to be catered for any time soon:

If it's a small German outline shunter, I might be persuaded to Köf up.

Wait a second - BRM is short for British Railway Modelling - looks like my wallet should be safe, for now.

… Anyway, I'm not too worried as long as these locos don't turn out to be Hornby 0-4-0s - tanks or "06" types - in a choice of silly colour schemes …

To be brutally honest, in view of the sort of price being charged for subscriptions on this weekend's show offer, the "freebie" loco was always going to be something like this - "basic" - "pragmatic" - "cheap" - or whatever you call it. Nothing wrong with that, if it's what you want - and, trust me, some people will definitely be in the market for these locos. Whether they want the whole loco, or just the chassis, is rather less certain.

(I am aware of some people using Hornby "Smokey Joe" / "101" chassis as the basis for "cheap & cheerful" O-16.5 freelance narrow gauge projects.)

I, personally, am not in the market for them - not that this worries me, as I don't do subscriptions. As for anyone else, well … .

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldnt care if it WAS the cheap 0-4-0 loco. In my opinion you have two options if you dont want it (perhaps as the bash into something else, as suggested).  You either give it as a gift to a young family member who is just starting out, or you sell it on a well known auction web site. You'd probably get £20 (there are plenty more for sale on there at higher prices) - and thats effectively a £20 discount on what is probably (not seen it myself) a pretty good offer. You might even be getting the subs for the equivalent of pennies per issue. 

Quit moaning!

• RMweb Premium

It is a bit incongruous though. I regard BRM as being a top quality magazine for serious modellers, not exactly the clientele that a Hornby 0-4-0 would appeal to. I'm afraid really just another gimmick to drum up publicity and not a serious help for the modeller.

• RMweb Premium

I came, I saw, I walked away. Not my cup of tea so didn't sign up for a sub. I do buy the mag occassionally though. Twas a bit naughty building up the 'free loco' hype, but then equally, for the price, it was never going to be a Bachmann 66 etc. I currently have Hornby Mag on a 2 year sub and 1 mag a month is sufficient. When this runs out, I'll probably take out a BRM sub and try something new.

In fairness, it wasn't Mr. York or any of his colleagues building up any sort of hype about anything. They made a statement which they have honoured.

I didn't see how some of the claims from others could possibly be true, but it wasn't my place to call them out on it.

It's still a good magazine and well worth the money.

It was a nice offer, but judging from yesterday posts, I was a little disappointed, as I made it my first point of call at the event. I wasn't expecting a Duchess or a 9F, but from the talented people we see on this site, I was expecting something a little more substantial. So nice try BRM, and no, I didn't subscribe. I'll stick to buy the odd model magazine that takes my fancy, buy second-hand copies for pennies, or wait for a better offer.

• Administrators

It is a bit incongruous though. I regard BRM as being a top quality magazine for serious modellers, not exactly the clientele that a Hornby 0-4-0 would appeal to. I'm afraid really just another gimmick to drum up publicity and not a serious help for the modeller.

As Steve said on page 1, the "serious modeller" could have chosen the £40 Gaugemaster voucher instead of the loco. Or they could have claimed to have bought a nice loco for a child/grandchild's Christmas present at the RRP of £19.99, wrapped up the free loco and pocketed the different to spend on solder/beer. 

I understand that sign-ups were good again today with lots more locos finding new homes.

• Administrators

Before I get some kip, I'd just like to thank everyone who came along to the stand for a chat this weekend. I met a lot of interesting modellers, picked up a few ideas and even had my first visitor star-struck at seeing the bloke on the telly (he was about 6 though).

Hope you enjoyed the N gauge layout, Owen's Bridge and the Wagon in Every Scale display. I know the later was educational as several people admitted they had never heard of S gauge. If there is space in the car, I'm thinking this might be popular at other shows in the future.

Anyway, thanks again for stopping by.

Archived