LNER van - XP rating?

Hi all.

I have a couple of Parkside PC26 vans on the bench - the old(er) kit, vertically planked van with corrugated ends. Instructions give no diagram reference.

These appear both to be vac braked and 10' wheelbase (as far as my eyes can make out on the steel rule).

Whilst I can find period photos of similar vans in my books, either the markings are obscured/indistinct, or they're a different brake type - not clasp braked, as per my nice bland straight kit-build.

Would I be wrong to add XP markings?

Thanks in advance, and I promise to buy more wagon books!

Jamie.

Edit: BR, mid 60s period

Guest stuartp

There was a rather nice pic of some sort of GWR loco pushing an LNER van in one of the Irwell Press calenders a couple of years ago. It's the vertically planked corrugated end van, the only difference being it's on a BR 10' chassis rather than the LNER one. The 'XP' is clearly visible.

Cheers Stuart, I had got as far as the BR converted Morton(???) brake ones, and that was as close as I got. Transfers and scalpel at hand for later.

some sort of GWR loco

:lol:

Afraid that's my sort of level of description of wagon underbellies at the moment.

Guest stuartp

You're welcome. Found another one when I got home, just like the kit (I think):

D Larkin, "Pre-Nationalisation Freight Wagons on British Railways" page 32 - E211308 at Lostock Hall in 1968, LNER vacuum brake gear (i.e. clasp brakes and LNER pattern V hangers), high vacuum pipes, spindle buffers, number and 12T on the left, tare, WB 10'0", XP and boxed data panel on the right. (Can you tell my scanner isn't working ?)

Archived