Identity of this DMU?

attachicon.gif branchline26.jpg

Units used (most of the time) on the Seaton Branch from 1964 to closure.

I believe it was Class 117 and these are not available RTR?

Many thanks.

Phil

Very much like a 117 and built by the same people I would suggest that this is a 121 single car with a DTS sorry don't have the class number to hand but was basically an unpowered 117 DMS?

The post is just in the wrong place!

ian

attachicon.gifimages (9).jpg

.....and this one. Class116?

Phil

Yes, a 116, from the first batch.  You can tell because it has four headlights.  Subsequent batches had only two.

The pic at Seaton is more likely a 118 power twin.  It is difficult to tell whether the headcode box is flat-topped or rounded.  I'm as sure as I can be that 117s were not allocated to the Plymouth division before 1968.

Chris

Thanks all and I think Chris that you have actually advised me years ago about this so thanks again. So if I can get something like a 116 or 118 RTR then I'll be lucky?  Suppose it's kit or conversion otherwise?

Phil

Bachmann are working on a 117.  I hope that it will be a simple job to make a 118 out of it - and, for good measure, that the passenger saloon of the motor brake second is not half full of cast metal like some of their other dmus!  We were promised a 116 in the same announcement.  I should live so long ...

Chris

• RMweb Premium

The only kit I can think of is the old MTK! I can't think of a present day alternative. You could consider renovating an old Lima class 117.

Best regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob. I have a Lima set in BR Blue. Could have a go I suppose and then repaint. Soon as I've done that, Hornby will introduce one  :mosking:

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Easy conversion using Lima, either a spare shell for the DMS or get resin conversion panels

118 looks most likely, rounded top to headcode box.

Laserglaze required as well

post-14686-0-28645300-1479996335.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Class 122 Bubble cars and trailers appeared from time to time, also a Gresley corridor 2nd was based at Seaton Junction for a while, believed to have been hauled on the branch by the 122 - presumably a stop-gap until a DTS became available. 

John

• RMweb Premium

Class 122 Bubble cars and trailers appeared from time to time, also a Gresley corridor 2nd was based at Seaton Junction for a while, believed to have been hauled on the branch by the 122 - presumably a stop-gap until a DTS became available. 

John

Hi John. That Gresley appears on one of my DVDs; probably summer '64, tagged onto a DT, probably a 117. The NDT appeared to be parked in the siding  All door CS I believe. Yes, I thought 122s appeared.

I don't know why I'm bothering with all this really as I wonder if my layout will ever get sorted, however I enjoy the research and also so very much the knowledge of you guys.

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

I hated bog carts in steam days and still do (the newer types) despite friends actually still 'spotting' the damn things. However, the originals have become more interesting to me since joining RMW and seeing so many nostalgic photo's.

I don't mind if anyone wants to drop some interesting pics in here.

Martin it would also be helpful if you linked me to any info you have on the Lima conversion if that's possible. I've never looked at stuff to 'modify' diesel era items.

Thanks. 

Phil

• RMweb Gold

There was an article describing the conversion of the Lima DMu (approximately a 117 so I'm told) into a 116 by Chris Leigh in the October 1981 issue of Model Railway Constructor, which I'll be digging out once I've purchased a nice new razor-saw blade and located my potential victims............ 

Any pointer to a similar "how to" on producing a 118 will be gratefully received.

John

• RMweb Premium

Werent the 118s the same originally?

Edit-

Yes they were, this from 1980-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28178727@N08/6313089010/in/photolist-aBSeqf-oi8thg-nMnw1z-eiTyot-a9PFsk-ebyJKQ-fDD36V-ab7B7W-hjo9bo-ed1LTT-6KReiP-pjVMQB-pZmRwy-aed1eH-ggbyjo-ijyUTF-pRtovh-n8z74b-hgwhQF-93RTUX-qrU3f3-pdDVnD-sfc1PY-dfb361-8zK3ak-bNw3Qp-pvVRHf-oC6p3F-gaVYAP-jDkgYV-bo5oxD-nSU98y-neoRxo-5Wf4jK-dWdGTP-dDWVcK-pP2dnz-7ZoGVb-rmpc58-dZ2CjY-zUudsU-mj2bGM-ox9JQx-jYEgRN-634iPc-kwh4fg-pdjfYJ-datuRs-pdj5j9-9Smt9s

Further edit-

Apparently not all of them, this from 1967-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/3411262885/in/photolist-93RAJm-5miY3a-iKfniy-qyQnyV-mCVz7T-oTDdfV-pbx6Xs-eihmpR-5DwQwd-5Vsx7R-sq7FY5-9qwxHZ-oaxJK7-bjGiWL-dXREtU-cXkzVj-MHgAw-m9Wc28-c9MPGA-6LcyTv-6crBBk-qR5Cy9-dQ3Fmi-92Lx77-qN3Cvk-nWGjAs-oRR6ag-pHytDg-jrxBxm-dfb3JD-ayPv43-c94jsw-bCFcwY-4PsNom-7y7GH6-znTgW-qzGQFe-nywXF7-5g93oa-5YN8BA-eWdE9q-qsLdd2-5Yi3CV-9dwZNo-fjxJQr-9G6hyb-aWNsGz-avQSeT-bRdJYV-pktxia

Hi Royal Oak

There was a previous discussion on the lights on 117s and 118s. Now I cannot remember if it was the first few 117 had them from new or the first few 118s did not have them. Or both. All I know is the majority of 117s in green and early blue days did not have the lights and the 118s did. As always I think the rule of making sure you have enough photos of the one you want to model in the time period you wish to model is a must. 

Oddly the 121 units had the lights from new, unlike their 3 car brothers from Pressed Steel.

• RMweb Gold

I hated bog carts in steam days and still do (the newer types) despite friends actually still 'spotting' the damn things. However, the originals have become more interesting to me since joining RMW and seeing so many nostalgic photo's.

I don't mind if anyone wants to drop some interesting pics in here.

Martin it would also be helpful if you linked me to any info you have on the Lima conversion if that's possible. I've never looked at stuff to 'modify' diesel era items.

Thanks. 

Phil

I think a lot of us felt like that Phil even post steam - a couple of trips to BNS with the huge number of bog cart workings there in 1968 soon convinced me I needed to spot them too....

T'other Phil

Archived