The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

I'll be honest here I'm fed up starting new threads of ideas that I have that never seem to come to anything.

I've gone from N back to OO then the move to EM, now I loved the track building but I had a problem with the fact I'd have to re-wheeling everything.

I'd thought about taking the next big leap up to 7mm but every time I've thought about it I've talked myself out of it for a couple of reasons, mostly cost and space.

That was until last week when a night having a few sherbets resulted in a late night order being put in for this

45D4AE0D-E5E8-41E9-A1A8-386E15937FAE_zps

B972B8CE-0A36-4E72-8C08-9E54123A7C22_zps

I'd be thinking about making the change for a few months but just didn't have the bottle (it's amazing what beer does!).

First impressions when it arrived was wow it's huge, far bigger than I thought and my next thought was I really must pre-order a 37!!

So after one purchase I think I'm hooked, thankfully I've been getting lots of advice off the 7mm folk on here behind the scenes over the last couple of months getting the info etc of what O gauge is like.

I'm not going to lie I'm rather terrified as I'm going well out of my 4mm comfort zone but it's the most relaxed I've been about modelling in my little modelling brain since I ordered the 08 and made the plunge.

Now here's where it'll get difficult, planning a layout. I've got very little space but that's not stopped me planning in 4mm so as long as I can build something that can be a small part of the bigger picture I'll be happy and for now I'm just going to enjoy weathering in this scale along with upping my track building skills as I will be building all my track to 0-MF standards.

I really can't wait to be honest and I'm going to bed with a smile on my face.

The next thing I have to ask myself is do I mothball my 4mm collection incase I want to have a dabble on the side or do I take the plunge in the very deep end and sell it to fund BIG locos??

For now though I'm going to enjoy weathering my first 7mm gronk and start putting a few trackplans together, it'll definitely be a fuelling/stabling point which might expand to a depot later on as I'm only interested in locos and maybe the odd wagon.

As always thoughts and ideas are really welcome and maybe some words of reassurance ;)

Cheers

• Like 10

quote PjKing1 "The next thing I have to ask myself is do I mothball my 4mm collection incase I want to have a dabble on the side or do I take the plunge in the very deep end and sell it to fund BIG locos??"

Hello Paul .... welcome to the dark side, I think you are half way to answering that question already .... you bought a Gronk, and as you say you are hooked and you have a smile on your face  :sungum:

Best regards

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

quote PjKing1 "The next thing I have to ask myself is do I mothball my 4mm collection incase I want to have a dabble on the side or do I take the plunge in the very deep end and sell it to fund BIG locos??"

Hello Paul .... welcome to the dark side, I think you are half way to answering that question already .... you bought a Gronk, and as you say you are hooked and you have a smile on your face :sungum:

Best regards

Craig.

Your a bad influence ;)

Cheers Craig

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 1

Hi Paul,

Well I would think for a while. You'r 4mm stuff is really good and would it hurt to keep some for maybe something in the future?

I did away with Wrexbury, but with my love for 47's out of the 22 I originally had, I still have about 12 or so, along with a 37/9! 

7mm is awesome, the detail and pleasure of a minimal amount of stock is great, and a small shunting plank/depot is crying out for intricate detailing and weathering!

Good luck in your 7mm endeavors and remember, track building seems easier in 7mm (well it does to me!).

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well done that man! I would say welcome out of the closet, but that may give some folk the wrong impression!!

My advice would be take things slowly, weather the 08 first, then give some thought to your fueling point and see how you get on. At that stage you can consider whether to lose the OO gauge stuff or keep it for a rainy day.

I think once you'be got that 08 weathered and a DCC sound chip in it, the smile will go to a smirk, then a beam from ear to ear, and you'all be flexing the card to order the 37! At which point SWMBO may start wondering why you have a permenant grin! Have a good excuse ready ... "it's because this 08 runs so smoothly and hums like a real one does darling!" Really won't work ... trust me!

Seriously don't make a quick decision and regret it. Your one step on the ladder now, no rush, so enjoy it!

Oh ... And I didn't say it earlier, but welcome to the dark side!

Rich

So after one purchase I think I'm hooked, thankfully I've been getting lots of advice off the 7mm folk on here behind the scenes over the last couple of months getting the info etc of what O gauge is like.

As always thoughts and ideas are really welcome and maybe some words of reassurance ;)

Cheers

Are you sure it was 'advice' and not 'gentle persuasion' that has turned you to the dark side Luke,errr  Chris!.

I think that once you have you 08 purring along,you`ll not need any reassurance,in fact i`d bet that you`d have wished you`d done it a long time ago........

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Well I would think for a while. You'r 4mm stuff is really good and would it hurt to keep some for maybe something in the future?

I did away with Wrexbury, but with my love for 47's out of the 22 I originally had, I still have about 12 or so, along with a 37/9! 

7mm is awesome, the detail and pleasure of a minimal amount of stock is great, and a small shunting plank/depot is crying out for intricate detailing and weathering!

Good luck in your 7mm endeavors and remember, track building seems easier in 7mm (well it does to me!).

Jinty ;)

Thanks mate I think I'll be keeping the 108's an 24 at least but the rest will probably go, I'm really excited about 7mm track building though I really can't wait .

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done that man! I would say welcome out of the closet, but that may give some folk the wrong impression!!

My advice would be take things slowly, weather the 08 first, then give some thought to your fueling point and see how you get on. At that stage you can consider whether to lose the OO gauge stuff or keep it for a rainy day.

I think once you'be got that 08 weathered and a DCC sound chip in it, the smile will go to a smirk, then a beam from ear to ear, and you'all be flexing the card to order the 37! At which point SWMBO may start wondering why you have a permenant grin! Have a good excuse ready ... "it's because this 08 runs so smoothly and hums like a real one does darling!" Really won't work ... trust me!

Seriously don't make a quick decision and regret it. Your one step on the ladder now, no rush, so enjoy it!

Oh ... And I didn't say it earlier, but welcome to the dark side!

Rich

I wonder can I smear the 08 in oil so it smells real to ;) I'm hoping if the baby starts liking the trains it'll keep the mrs happy, I can feel a pre-order coming on today :D

Thanks again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure it was 'advice' and not 'gentle persuasion' that has turned you to the dark side Luke,errr  Chris!.

I think that once you have you 08 purring along,you`ll not need any reassurance,in fact i`d bet that you`d have wished you`d done it a long time ago........

Brian.

Thanks Brian, just looking at the 08 has reassured me enough to be honest, can't quite imagine how big a 40 or peak will be though, exciting times ahead me thinks ;)

Thanks again and I'm quite enjoying the dark side, always preferred the red light sabre;)

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today's reading for a bit of inspiration (hopefully a quiet day in work)

622A8D21-0F45-43CF-BB33-E70B28FF3BA3_zps

Not really into the western region and what ever a build will be based up north but it's a good read nevertheless, problem is my humble plans go from one siding to Crewe MPD in about ten minutes :( the one rule I have though it has to be prototypical as much as possible.

Cheers

• Like 4

​I am in the same situation Paul. I have a best part of 100  4mm locos spread over a number of periods, Hence why I started to build this small first attempt

I don't think I will get rid of all my 00 gauge just slim it down a bit, but at the back of my mind at today's prices once its gone its gone.

Paul

Edited by birdseyecircus
  • Like 1

I was 'converted' many, many years ago, after working my way through 00, EM and P4 and still not feeling fulfilled, I was handed a scratch built 7mm engine by a trader at Telford. I immediately 'felt' the force travel up through my trembling fingers, I didn't want to drop it, and into my grey cells where everything 4mm got 'fried'. There was no going back!

Welcome to the dark bright side. Life will never be the same again!

Regards

Sandy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Another one bites the dust, fickle scousers, hah!

Mike.

PS. Wibdenshaw could make use of a double junction, hint hint.

Thanks Paul and Sandy I think my mind is made up to :)

Mike I was hoping it would go to a good home, send me a pm an if you fancy a Biffo'd em 40 or anything else let me know ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

As Sandy says, welcome to the bright side...............You've seen the light!  Why dabble in EM having to convert just about everything when you can run straight out of the box on 0 gauge track in the knowledge it looks just about right. Remember the points are already bullhead with chairs.

Unlike others on here, I would say sell your 4mm. Why? Because I don't think you would want to go back to it once you develop an eye for 7mm.  No moulded compromise detail and no pressed coupling rods that are supposed to represent fluting.  Every wagon is an individual with detail that can be seen. This is what makes kit building such a pleasure. Then to see a wagon or carriage roll down the track with the apparent weight and mass of the real thing.....well... 

Good luck.

• RMweb Gold

As Sandy says, welcome to the bright side...............You've seen the light! Why dabble in EM having to convert just about everything when you can run straight out of the box on 0 gauge track in the knowledge it looks just about right. Remember the points are already bullhead with chairs.

Unlike others on here, I would say sell your 4mm. Why? Because I don't think you would want to go back to it once you develop an eye for 7mm. No moulded compromise detail and no pressed coupling rods that are supposed to represent fluting. Every wagon is an individual with detail that can be seen. This is what makes kit building such a pleasure. Then to see a wagon or carriage roll down the track with the apparent weight and mass of the real thing.....well...

Good luck.

Thanks coachmann, all that fills me with excitement so much an as for my 4mm I'll keep one or two but that's just sentimental reasons but the rest will go, I've just preordered a Heljan 37 in green full yellow ends :O

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear.......oh yes! Once you have he Gronk trundling along a metre section test with a decent sound set-up you'll be hooked forever, there is just something about the mass and sound from a larger set-up which is out of reach in the smaller scales, pure magic.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear.......oh yes! Once you have he Gronk trundling along a metre section test with a decent sound set-up you'll be hooked forever, there is just something about the mass and sound from a larger set-up which is out of reach in the smaller scales, pure magic.

I really need to build a piece of track haha I'm hooked already an I've only ever seen the 08 in the flesh :)

• Like 1

I kept the 4mm GWR King, LMS Crab and 4F. The King will go on display one day (I finished it in full GWR livery) but the Crab and 4F 0-6-0 will go once they have been replaced by 7mm versions. I keep looking at the dealers websites but they are asking stupid prices for what is, to me, over-priced rubbish. A Crab with a smokebox dart anyone....?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I kept the 4mm GWR King, LMS Crab and 4F. The King will go on display one day (I finished it in full GWR livery) but the Crab and 4F 0-6-0 will go once they have been replaced by 7mm versions. I keep looking at the dealers websites but they are asking stupid prices for what is, to me, over-priced rubbish. A Crab with a smokebox dart anyone....?

To be honest when it comes to steam locos I haven't a clue :( I'd love to have the bottle to build a kit but for now a ready to plonk loco appeals more than a something I haven't a clue how to build then there's buying the wheels motors etc separate. Hopefully one day but if my weathering in this scale goes to pot I'll by an air fix plane and give up! ;)

Cheers

Well just to be different from everybody else on here now ................ I am going back to 4mm, so PM for a list of 7mm stock that I will be selling ....  :onthequiet:

Paul, I am in agreement with Larry, just sell your 4mm stuff, it will never look or feel the same once you have handled the bigger stuff .... post-8721-0-22792900-1479905034.jpg

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues