The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Ok, I've finished playing with the Kings Cross plan, its attached to this email as a Templot BOX file, but I've put a graphic Sketchbaord on here as well:

kings_cross_bottom_shed2.png

Its not perfect, and if you decide to use it, it will need some work, specifically on the double slips, and three way point, and some of the yard tracks will need minor adjustments - but it might give you some ideas.  That plan is 18' long by 3.5' wide - again, its not an exact copy, so I think by tightening some of the spaces between points up etc and getting the correct lengths, you would get it down to certainly 16', possibly 15'.

To give you an idea - the road that has the fueling/servicing shed on nearest the running lines, would accommodate two Class 40s with room to spare, while you could get another 40 in the shortest 'loop', third from the bottom.  The headshunt is also 560mm long - so about 50mm longer than a 40.  Im using 40s, purely because they are the longest O gauge loco you'll encounter.

Now in searching around to try and find some lengths and the link, I also came across a thread on another forum (click here) which is all about it, but that includes a photo, which may just seal it for you - as it gives you the slight raised sidings that you wanted!

p891646299-4.jpg

http://railphotoprints.uk/p573218589/h3525715B

Also this one off Flickr, seen from York Road platform:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/63924222@N06/8124333047/

And this one shows the grade between the lines:

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/robertcwp/media/KX_4-68s.jpg

KX_4-68s.jpg

Hope that helps!

Rich

Kings Cross Bottom Shed.box

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

That's great Rich, sorry late reply I've only just noticed you'd posted this :) it looks spot on, I read last night on tinternet that 40's an peaks used to have to buffer right up to the buffers on the head shunt to clear the points which is interesting.

I'll take a look at that link now mate, again sorry for the late reply.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

That's great Rich, sorry late reply I've only just noticed you'd posted this :) it looks spot on, I read last night on tinternet that 40's an peaks used to have to buffer right up to the buffers on the head shunt to clear the points which is interesting.

I'll take a look at that link now mate, again sorry for the late reply.

Cheers

Hi Paul,

No problem!  Ah right, in that case then we can shorten the headshunt by about 60mm, that will allow the farthest right hand depot point to be pulled back, along with the double slip beyond, and some tweaking of the farthest right platform point, should give a straighter, more prototypical run into the double slip.

I hadn't got any dimensions to go off, and a quick search around for pictures was limited to the same views off the platform!

Anyway, if you decided to go down the KGX route, then we can tweak it (or you can in Templot if you wish!) .

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

No problem! Ah right, in that case then we can shorten the headshunt by about 60mm, that will allow the farthest right hand depot point to be pulled back, along with the double slip beyond, and some tweaking of the farthest right platform point, should give a straighter, more prototypical run into the double slip.

I hadn't got any dimensions to go off, and a quick search around for pictures was limited to the same views off the platform!

Anyway, if you decided to go down the KGX route, then we can tweak it (or you can in Templot if you wish!) .

Rich

Thanks Rich I'm actually thinking of starting a layout thread on it to grab as much info as possible, I suppose 18' for an 0 gauge depot is pretty good :D I've got a pic of the actual track plans I'll post it in a min, it's not mine so I'll happily remove it if the owner sees it an objects.

As for me an templot learnt how to make a turnout, thanks to Brian's how to he sent me.

Here's the pic of the plan

69B340DD-29AA-469C-9A71-34F7D90464A5_zps

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich I'm actually thinking of starting a layout thread on it to grab as much info as possible, I suppose 18' for an 0 gauge depot is pretty good :D I've got a pic of the actual track plans I'll post it in a min, it's not mine so I'll happily remove it if the owner sees it an objects.

As for me an templot learnt how to make a turnout, thanks to Brian's how to he sent me.

Here's the pic of the plan

69B340DD-29AA-469C-9A71-34F7D90464A5_zps

Cheers

Hi Phil,

Yes I found that the other day when I was looking around - thats what I used to create the Templot version! Hence my comment about its not perfect. There is a way that we can load that plan into Templot and create the track plan over the top, we just need a scale, and I think that could be the difficult part - thought there again, maybe using Google Earth a rough idea of the actual length is possible?

EDIT: Following my recent conversation with Andy Y about why the 7mm modelling thread was moved ... If you do start a thread, might be worth doing it in the Layout Topics (marking the thread title as 7mm) then it could pick up a wider audience.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the sound chip has been ordered from Paul so hopefully I'll get that fitted in a day or two and I can finally start weathering the 08!! The mrs is out from day night so if mini swmbo goes to bed early I'll try and make a start ;)

Cheers

• Like 2

The big leap into 0 gauge certainly does seem to start with a gronk. An MPD with nothing but Terriers would be no surprise, but I think I've heard of an MPD with seven gronk's on its roster in black, green and blue.....?  :whistle:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The big leap into 0 gauge certainly does seem to start with a gronk. An MPD with nothing but Terriers would be no surprise, but I think I've heard of an MPD with seven gronk's on its roster in black, green and blue.....?  :whistle:

Not sure about the black ;)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A green gronk arrived yesterday, Jinty's speaker was fitted to the blue gronk on Friday and just took a look at this beast and it is a beast :O

EDF489E7-FCC1-41F7-AD20-C0ECD93E74B8_zps

20B1874D-7BB1-4FF0-9F78-7D3494D8740C_zps

FB0A4C88-6A8F-4F37-BDE0-944244F0A87A_zps

32AA3C7C-1878-4940-B50A-8E4EDD6226F4_zps

Weathering this terrifies me!!

Cheers

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Nice acquisition :)

Looks like there's a few mods to do... especially those roof access panel handles (they're on the wrong way around).

Which number will this be?

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee, I'm going to number it D270 like I did my 4mm version as it was one of the first to be painted in br blue in early 67, thanks for heads up regarding the handles to :)

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice indeed Paul, that is some BEAST and more than a handful.

It really is Andy, until you see and hold them in the flesh it's hard to imagine how big they are, you'll have to get one ;) going to try and order the sound decoder before I pay Jinty a visit, I'll need some expert help wiring my first big boy decoder :O

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It really is Andy, until you see and hold them in the flesh it's hard to imagine how big they are, you'll have to get one ;) going to try and order the sound decoder before I pay Jinty a visit, I'll need some expert help wiring my first big boy decoder :O

Cheers

You'll do fine with it! If you can hang on for a few weeks, I'm in the middle of sorting out with Minty for the speakers for mine, which will gain a Paul Chetter Protodrive Zimo 'big boy' decoder! Which I'll document on here if it helps.

Hope you and the family had a good Christmas.

Rich

• Like 1