The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

I'm a recent 0 gauge convert too - but I have come from N.  I haven't sold the N yet but I think it is only a matter of time.  Nothing gives a better sense of 'being there' than 0.

The enjoyment is partly in the new challenge.  In 0 Gauge you really have to think about the detail - and I don't just mean the rolling stock.  How do weeds and bushes grow around buffer stops?  How does grass grow next to the track?  What type of bushes grow near your chosen railway?  You can't just scatter some ground foam and hope it will work.

I have started small scale but with a modular approach - basically four shelves from Ikea lying end-to-end in the garage on trestles.  That gives me about 14 feet of running line (well, a loop and two sidings) but it is not so wide that I have to get bogged down in a lot of building and landscaping.  It isn't going to be world-beating but it will get me going...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well just to be different from everybody else on here now ................ I am going back to 4mm, so PM for a list of 7mm stock that I will be selling ....  :onthequiet:

Paul, I am in agreement with Larry, just sell your 4mm stuff, it will never look or feel the same once you have handled the bigger stuff .... attachicon.gifFrankie Howard.jpg

Craig.

You won't regret going back to 4mm have you got a Duff or Whistler please??

• RMweb Gold

I'm a recent 0 gauge convert too - but I have come from N.  I haven't sold the N yet but I think it is only a matter of time.  Nothing gives a better sense of 'being there' than 0.

The enjoyment is partly in the new challenge.  In 0 Gauge you really have to think about the detail - and I don't just mean the rolling stock.  How do weeds and bushes grow around buffer stops?  How does grass grow next to the track?  What type of bushes grow near your chosen railway?  You can't just scatter some ground foam and hope it will work.

I have started small scale but with a modular approach - basically four shelves from Ikea lying end-to-end in the garage on trestles.  That gives me about 14 feet of running line (well, a loop and two sidings) but it is not so wide that I have to get bogged down in a lot of building and landscaping.  It isn't going to be world-beating but it will get me going...

That's what appeals I was trying and wanting small detail like that in 4mm but it's difficult so this will be a great challenge, scary thing is I got away with stuff in 4mm I won't be able to in 7mm

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well just to be different from everybody else on here now ................ I am going back to 4mm, so PM for a list of 7mm stock that I will be selling ....  :onthequiet:

Paul, I am in agreement with Larry, just sell your 4mm stuff, it will never look or feel the same once you have handled the bigger stuff .... attachicon.gifFrankie Howard.jpg

Craig.

Haha! Should you ever decide to lose that nice blue 31 - let me know ;)

Rich

• Like 1

622A8D21-0F45-43CF-BB33-E70B28FF3BA3_zps

Not really into the western region and what ever a build will be based up north but it's a good read nevertheless, problem is my humble plans go from one siding to Crewe MPD in about ten minutes :( the one rule I have though it has to be prototypical as much as possible.

Cheers

It might be just as well not being 'into' the WR, because unless you are into re-numbering D3045 spent a good deal of its 18 year life at either Ashford or Feltham.

I would love to see a photo of it out of the box. I have often wondered if I should dabble in 7mm just to see what it is like, but have tried to contain such temptation on the grounds of finance.

• Like 2

As a few others have said, welcome to the club. Looks like Dapol are going to be responsible for a growing number of converts.

Tie that in with a visit to North Wales for some reason ....................... Jinty !!!!....................  :scratchhead:

Craig

• RMweb Gold

It might be just as well not being 'into' the WR, because unless you are into re-numbering D3045 spent a good deal of its 18 year life at either Ashford or Feltham.

I would love to see a photo of it out of the box. I have often wondered if I should dabble in 7mm just to see what it is like, but have tried to contain such temptation on the grounds of finance.

Here you go mate

C7505084-5AF9-43F7-B966-D9A5605BBA9C_zps

C19251EE-9C0F-47F7-8876-C07DDD197823_zps

D7BEA977-12E2-4312-82E4-45F37B55FBBF_zps

BC25C2D6-8098-4FCA-BAB4-DF5FD881F29E_zps

F78FB823-79CB-45FF-8A76-4E5A5A432BE4_zps

E714BB49-7EE0-4C1C-95B6-EE93C5BD88DC_zps

Not the best pics sorry

Cheers

• Like 8

Sorry to be a bore, but there is a small, tiny, minimal, infinitely minute, single, insignificant, barely there question that I have to ask people...

WHY?

Why do people refer to the EE 350 as a 'gronk'? Why, why oh why? Why not refer to them as an 08, or EE shunter or EE350 or even just a '350'?

I know some people have their own unique words for everything- such as referring to a Brush Type 4 as a 'spoon' or 'duff' or whatever. Why not call them a Brush Type 4 or 47?

Off to buy an anorak and idiot mittens- maybe that will help me understand

• Like 2

Paul,

one question though (and it's a question not a statement of fact) by the time it received BR blue (or bangor blue if you really- and I mean REALLY insist (see above post)) should it not have the ladder removed and the cab hatch sealed?

I must admit that it does look tempting to do the same and go for one. But I shall resist and keep my soul pure to 1:76.2

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be a bore, but there is a small, tiny, minimal, infinitely minute, single, insignificant, barely there question that I have to ask people...

WHY?

Why do people refer to the EE 350 as a 'gronk'? Why, why oh why? Why not refer to them as an 08, or EE shunter or EE350 or even just a '350'?

I know some people have their own unique words for everything- such as referring to a Brush Type 4 as a 'spoon' or 'duff' or whatever. Why not call them a Brush Type 4 or 47?

Off to buy an anorak and idiot mittens- maybe that will help me understand

I think its another of those lost in the midst of time queries, but I always understood it to be down the sound made by the engine .... round here they always used to be known as 'pilots' or 350s, namely because they were the yard 'pilot' (shunter).

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

one question though (and it's a question not a statement of fact) by the time it received BR blue (or bangor blue if you really- and I mean REALLY insist (see above post)) should it not have the ladder removed and the cab hatch sealed?

I must admit that it does look tempting to do the same and go for one. But I shall resist and keep my soul pure to 1:76.2

Haven't a clue why they're called gronks and as for the ladder, in 72 it still had it

https://flic.kr/p/qPu4ws

An 75

https://flic.kr/p/eimQV3

And on here in 69

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37894-a-shunter-for-elm-park/

Go on Derek you know you want to ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

welcome aboard, but what happened between early November (Wavetree diesel depot) and today? Have you been to Damascus?

Looking forward to your journey into 'O'. Can't wait to see you turn your talents to the 'senior' scale!

Fellow scouser Les

Thanks fellow scouser ;) I think I was trying to get my interest going again to be honest by planning a depot in 4mm, I've been having thoughts of a depot in 7mm since early in the year but talking myself out of it, but even though I was totally happy with the Wavetree track plan I wasn't entirely happy with the scale. So thinking along those lines answered my own questions really.

I'm hoping I can take bits of that depot and make it in 7mm obviously I can't do anything on that scale but little ideas off it. It'll have to be prototypical though, that's one rule I've set myself when I returned to modding 'it has to look and act real' maybe I'm setting to higher standards for myself but who knows.

Thoughts about a layout would be really welcome chaps I'm going to try an have a doodle now as the baby's fast a bobo's :)

Thanks again Les

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 1

Oh Paul I really hate you.

You are leading me into temptation.

I've just looked on t'internet at various 0 gauge models and read about home-built HSTs and Pacers (aside from 47s and 31s, those two being my favourite).

Using 3d printing and "aid to scratchbuilding" kits, they seem much easier than 4mm.

BAD INFLUENCE.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh Paul I really hate you.

You are leading me into temptation.

I've just looked on t'internet at various 0 gauge models and read about home-built HSTs and Pacers (aside from 47s and 31s, those two being my favourite).

Using 3d printing and "aid to scratchbuilding" kits, they seem much easier than 4mm.

BAD INFLUENCE.

Yes I am check these out ;)

http://www.cliffwilliams.co.uk/models/dccsmoke.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What space do you have Paul for the 7mm layout ?

Craig.

To be honest the end size I don't know but It'll be about the same as elj an I'll work to 4' poss 5' sections, working on one at a time. I was hoping to off had a few drawings done but I spoke to soon an Rosa has screamed non stop, to be fare she never cries but had her needles yesterday so I'll let her off ;)

Cheers

Good grief, that's good.

Excuse me whilst I just go off and look at 0 gauge. I tell you this though Paul, if I end up hooked on 0 gauge I'm going to hold you personally responsible.

I take it you've seen JLTRT...

Edited by Derekstuart
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good grief, that's good.

Excuse me whilst I just go off and look at 0 gauge. I tell you this though Paul, if I end up hooked on 0 gauge I'm going to hold you personally responsible.

I have an they look very impressive, I just don't fancy my chances of building a kit, I've never even done a wagon so think I'll hold off on them for a year or ten ;)

Check this on out to

https://youtu.be/hn9yREBb2qU

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good grief, that's good.

In the words of the hymn;

Yield not to temptation, for yielding is sin.

Get a grip man.

Mike.

Morning Paul, and first of all sorry I missed the Start of this thread.

I think like me, you need to hang on to some if not all of the 4mm stuff, at least until the 7mm Layout is built, there would be noting worse that suddenly finding that you don't have the room for a 7mm layout that your satisfied with. I have built 2 / 3 7mm Layouts previously and really enjoyed them both but reverted to 4mm so it's not out of the question and so I say hang on to at least your favourites.

Any way nice Thread and looking forward to seeing your Layout ideas develop mate.

Are you or anyone going to the Manchester Show on Sat 3rd? we could meet up, I'm going up with George T.

EDIT = BTW meant to say, your not the only one who keeps starting and stopping OO Threads mate, ahhah, I've done it again.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2