Sound or No-Sound?

Sir TophamHatt

I have to admit that, despite my criticism of sound above, I have fitted sound to 5 of my garden railway locos and I do enjoy running them with the sound on. In fact I have put a sound card on my Christmas present list. I have played with the new Graham Farish DMU with very sophisticated sound but I envisage fitting any of my N gauge stock with sound chips any time soon. I guess we all get something slightly different out of watching a model loco and that affects what we want to see in a model.

• RMweb Premium

I notice the most enthusiastic comments are from those running large scale layouts, who are very much in the minority.

in the UK 00 is by far the dominant scale and speakers are by necessity, very small and the sound somewhat tinny.

As regard the "silent" layout: Why does the sound, if you require it, have to be only fitted to the loco?

As many layouts have stations, what about station anouncements, carriage doors slamming etc.?

I know some people have such elaborations but not many.

Sound isn't just a few chuffs or rumbles from the loco, there is a myriad of sources where it should be coming from.

Hence my earlier posting about external speakers (Freiwald's 4D sound)

Keith

Dave MIlford's Chollerford OO layout is an great example of sound through speakers under the baseboards. The sound moves along from one baseboard to another with the train.

Any links to this Chris? I found only one on the Model Rail Scotland video, but you cannot hear a thing due to background noise (if indeed the sound was switched on).

Any links to this Chris? I found only one on the Model Rail Scotland video, but you cannot hear a thing due to background noise (if indeed the sound was switched on).

Sorry I don't have any links. If I see Dave Milford over the weekend I'll ask him what exhibitions he has planned.

• RMweb Premium

It's on the Warley club pages but no video or sound!

Keith

• 2 months later...

Archived