Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

The original duel mode IEP proposal with what was effectively a generator coach would have made things easy for Hornby as they could have made that vehicle into a model locomotive with their normal cardan shaft drive without having to worry about it being visual through the windows. Wasn't Brush going to design the generators vehicles under sub-contract to Hitachi? As it is there are plenty of options using low profile drives or a motor bogie. Since the adoption of cardan shaft drive in OO motor bogies have a bit of an image problem but a good motor bogie if still a perfectly good option and capable of producing silky smooth and quiet performance. If they go down that route I hope they don't repeat the mistake of the 4VEP where they made no effort to hide the motor.

• 3 weeks later...

Special Edition now sold out on Hornby direct pre-orders

Popped into Harburn Hobbies today to see if the new Hornby catalogue was in. It wasn't, but hopefully in a week or two.

Whist there I also asked about the limited edition Class 800. You mean the pink and white thing? They tried the Hornby rep and it turns out that some are still available to Hornby stockists. So if you missed out on the website, it may be worthwhile paying a visit to your local Hornby stockist.

• 5 weeks later...

Er...no.the word did not not pass my lips.Let's just say black is the new green.

For what it’s worth, I think my dark blue Hornby Javelin is a beautiful train – the livery is attractive and restrained. The less said about some of the later liveries (not Hornby’s fault, of course) the better. I am a bit bothered about this new GWR green, which strikes me as extremely dull. The illustration at the start of this thread shows an attractive metallic sheen but that seems to be lacking in photographs of the real thing. I wonder if Hornby could be induced to take a bit of a liberty and produce it with a fair amount of sheen or shall I be shot for suggesting such a thing?

• RMweb Gold

For what it’s worth, I think my dark blue Hornby Javelin is a beautiful train – the livery is attractive and restrained. The less said about some of the later liveries (not Hornby’s fault, of course) the better. I am a bit bothered about this new GWR green, which strikes me as extremely dull. The illustration at the start of this thread shows an attractive metallic sheen but that seems to be lacking in photographs of the real thing. I wonder if Hornby could be induced to take a bit of a liberty and produce it with a fair amount of sheen or shall I be shot for suggesting such a thing?

You mean the "gl###" word that dare not speak is name ? Loud rumblings and mutterings will be heard throughout the august portals and corridors of this sacred forum.

Personally,I believe it's application works wonders for a certain green...however,be that as it may.The samples on view are in any case in R&D stage

• Like 1

I am surprised that nobody has commented on the latest Tweet from Hornby that a limited number of GWR 5-car models are available to purchase. I quote "Limited number of the GWR Class 800 Five Car Train Pack are now available! Pre-order now to avoid disappointment!" followed by a link to Hornby's website with a delivery time of Winter 2017.

I am surprised that nobody has commented on the latest Tweet from Hornby that a limited number of GWR 5-car models are available to purchase. I quote "Limited number of the GWR Class 800 Five Car Train Pack are now available! Pre-order now to avoid disappointment!" followed by a link to Hornby's website with a delivery time of Winter 2017.

Seems like Hornby are reducing the quantity of models they are making quite significantly in order to keep prices higher.  Happened first with the Peckett and now happening with both the 800 and H class.

• RMweb Gold

Seems like Hornby are reducing the quantity of models they are making quite significantly in order to keep prices higher. Happened first with the Peckett and now happening with both the 800 and H class.

I think that sounds more harsh than you intended. They have reduced the quantity so as not to be left with vast unsold stocks that have to be heavily discounted and risk the financial stability of the company and annoying customers.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

On Facebook Hornby said:

"How's your Monday going? What if we told you that limited numbers of the GWR Hitachi IEP Class 800 Five Car Train Pack are once again available to pre-order?! Be quick to avoid disappointment!"

Which to me means, that had sold out and have added an additional number to cope with demand and they expect to sell these off quickly too.

• RMweb Premium

On Facebook Hornby said:

"How's your Monday going? What if we told you that limited numbers of the GWR Hitachi IEP Class 800 Five Car Train Pack are once again available to pre-order?! Be quick to avoid disappointment!"

Which to me means, that had sold out and have added an additional number to cope with demand and they expect to sell these off quickly too.

Yeah that was my take too JSpencer.

• Like 1

I think that sounds more harsh than you intended. They have reduced the quantity so as not to be left with vast unsold stocks that have to be heavily discounted and risk the financial stability of the company and annoying customers.

Roy

Hi there, yeah you're right I should have phrased that better as it sounds a bit too cynical.  It's good that they aren't overproducing stock and putting themselves into financial difficulty, however it does sound like they're being quite cautious with quantities but I guess that will sort itself over time.  Still, it is surprising that a model planned for release in the final quarter of 2017 is almost sold out already.

Edited by GWR8700

Does anyone know if Hornby will be releasing coaches for the Class 800 Hitachi test train?

Thanks

See as T2 is mainly intended as a corporate gift/production rights then I would not hold out for them. With only 250 released to public and I suspect the majority of people who ordered them as collectors...Hornby might struggle to get enough orders for the three additional coaches. Though not to mean I do not want them! I certainly do as I intend to run my T2.

.....not to mean I do not want them! I certainly do as I intend to run my T2.

..and by rights, if intending to replicate the real world (in play form), rather than just for fun or amusement, you shouldn't be able to run them without the intermediate coaches, as that's where the traction is provided.

The driving cars, as represented by the Hornby pair, are not powered in the real 12"/ft world. They are driving trailers.

Just watching the two driving cars running on their own, will be as silly as running a couple of motorised Mk1's, Mk2'2 or Mk3's or suchlike, without a loco or power car attached.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Just emailed Hornby. They say there are no plans at the moment to produce the extra coaches for the Test Train.

The customer service rep did say however that they would let the development and marketing team know, so it can be taken into future consideration.

Wouldn't hold my breath chaps.

..and by rights, if intending to replicate the real world (in play form), rather than just for fun or amusement, you shouldn't be able to run them without the intermediate coaches, as that's where the traction is provided.

The driving cars, as represented by the Hornby pair, are not powered in the real 12"/ft world. They are driving trailers.

Just watching the two driving cars running on their own, will be as silly as running a couple of motorised Mk1's, Mk2'2 or Mk3's or suchlike, without a loco or power car attached.

What a funny idea, just two powered dummy cars for a test train! I don,t do 21st century trains but if I did I doubt I could live with such an odd ball.

I could understand the idea as a cheaper set for newcomers but not a limited edition of 250 collectors item.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes its a bit daft - but it wouldn't look as silly as coaches running on their own - they do have cabs (and pantographs) and look like something that could go under its own steam, so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...