Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

It is actually a little more complex than that, but okay! Explain Northern and SWR with the base colour being grey? The good news is, the DfT have moved on from insisting on a neutral colour. Ironic though, the new GA livery is going to feature grey, but a darker grey! As that really cheers things up!

Right back to the Hornby model, anyone else seen this pic on Hornby Magazine. NICE. (minus the cab window screen water tank is meant to be silver)

DSC_0019.jpg

I believe various Northern units were going through an overhaul programme before the winning bidder was announced and as such appeared in a DfT 'neutral' livery. It's just that the winning bidder hasn't decided to alter it yet....

• RMweb Gold

Would anyone happen to know if an IEP will have more overhang than a Pendolino?

Mine has just arrived and been able to take a picture of an 800 driving car and Pendolino driving car on my layout:

post-586-0-76332900-1519138881.jpg

Picture taken on one of my walled inclines on 36inch radius curves, Rather tight but think it will be ok, if not the coping stones on the incline walls back a bit...

Off to get a coffee and then check over the rest of the unit.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

OK, since posting the above pic the power car has been run-in on analogue and decoders have been fitted in the motorised driving car and the rear non-motorised driving car, adjusting CV29 on the rear car as mentioned in the instructions so that the correct front and rear lights are showing. The unit was then assembled and off it went on its a proving run:

post-586-0-46116000-1519148017.jpg

...... and that was where things stopped:

post-586-0-36591000-1519148105.jpg

Upon investigation it was found that bogies on three of the coaches had derailed as shown above - just as reported by centraltrains. Did not, however, have any problems entering the incline, it was only when the unit entered the (36" radius) curves that the problems were encountered.

Looking at the bogies in detail they don't swivel freely. Something is catching as you swivel the bogie so much so that the side of the coach starts bulging........

Not much more one can say..... Let's see what Hornby says.

Keith

I see Hornby have persisted with the green doors at the outer ends of both driving coaches despite the Standard class end having a grey outer door as depicted on the picture they have used of the real thing, very poor.

Edit-

Other pictures of the actual model show it correct.

Edited by royaloak

same problem with mine.... frustrating to say the least.

in the picture you can see where the bogie is catching on the bodyside. post-11749-0-33663900-1519153638_thumb.jpg

on taking the top off. (far too easy) the seating is screwed in and seems to be bowing the chassis. I might attempt to unscrew one side and see if that might cure the problem.... post-11749-0-71728400-1519153782_thumb.jpg

Oh blimey! After seeing this forum I thought I may be doomed... I have two helixes!! But after a little test by hand (the layout is still under construction) there was no catching I could tell, but until I can power up I won't know for definite. 

Excuse the dust, still a lot of work going on with the layout!

I am going to follow this thread with a keen interest just in case! 

Thank you for sharing all! 

post-31040-0-02770400-1519155835_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJMR
  • Like 3

same problem with mine.... frustrating to say the least.

in the picture you can see where the bogie is catching on the bodyside. attachicon.gif20180220_190611.jpg

on taking the top off. (far too easy) the seating is screwed in and seems to be bowing the chassis. I might attempt to unscrew one side and see if that might cure the problem.... attachicon.gif15191537404942067440611.jpg

Has the bogie been assembled the right way round I wonder?

Slightly glad in away to hear other people are having related issues... Did a bit of testing...

This shows me fathing about with the bogie... Probably not worth watching. You can see the sticky out bit on the bogie catches the other sticky out bit on the body shell. It disconnects the clips and then gets stuck. Fathing then commonsense to try and clip it back in on camera where it fixes for a bit. And then a comparison with the 395 on how lovely and free its bogie is.

Video of it derailing (quite minor in this case though)

Video of it running without bodies (derails much later)

Video if it running with out the dummy unit, doesn't derail at all. I think as this type of coupling is so rigid, it must have had effect from the dummy car which still had body on...

And in case anyone is interested, Gosh, this unit can get some serious speed up. Was very unexpected from this motor set up type from me! Bachmann add more speed please!!!

Would probably work properly if "the sticky out bit on the bogie" (or the bit on the body) was cut off. However, Hornby said to send it in so will be doing that - not sure what they will do however!

(And apologies if the music isn't to taste, I have ASDA FM playing from an internet radio as I have a model ASDA store which you may be able to spot in one or two of the videos - got to be accurate!)

I always like to start with a positive, I especially like the GWR printing: 

post-22366-0-71045700-1519157429_thumb.jpg

How are others pantographs? Both of mine arrived unattached. I have tried re-attaching one and it snapped. Not happy with myself! Why can this not be metal rather than plastic I do not know!

post-22366-0-73856300-1519157479_thumb.jpg

Edited by 159220

Slightly glad in away to hear other people are having related issues... Did a bit of testing...

This shows me fathing about with the bogie... Probably not worth watching. You can see the sticky out bit on the bogie catches the other sticky out bit on the body shell. It disconnects the clips and then gets stuck. Fathing then commonsense to try and clip it back in on camera where it fixes for a bit. And then a comparison with the 395 on how lovely and free its bogie is.

Video of it derailing (quite minor in this case though)

Video of it running without bodies (derails much later)

Video if it running with out the dummy unit, doesn't derail at all. I think as this type of coupling is so rigid, it must have had effect from the dummy car which still had body on...

And in case anyone is interested, Gosh, this unit can get some serious speed up. Was very unexpected from this motor set up type from me! Bachmann add more speed please!!!

Would probably work properly if "the sticky out bit on the bogie" (or the bit on the body) was cut off. However, Hornby said to send it in so will be doing that - not sure what they will do however!

(And apologies if the music isn't to taste, I have ASDA FM playing from an internet radio as I have a model ASDA store which you may be able to spot in one or two of the videos - got to be accurate!)

I noticed the "dip" on your layout, the couplings on the IEP are rigid and mainly allow movement left to right, not up and down which may part of the issue I think.

As you show and mention the freedom of movement with the IEP isn't good, certainly doesn't roll on its own momentum. 

Annoying and typical, Hornby needs a better test layout than a loop!

I noticed the "dip" on your layout, the couplings on the IEP are rigid and mainly allow movement left to right, not up and down which may part of the issue I think.

Yes, That is what I think, However no other trains have any issue with this area at all, Pendolino and Javelin also have this couple type and they work... It derails in other places (mainly corners) in reverse and on other loops, though I have only been focusing on one direction on one loop (the direction/loop with least no of derailments).

• RMweb Gold

Annoying and typical, Hornby needs a better test layout than a loop!

It shouldn't be difficult to build just one loop with all sorts of problems built-in. Angles instead of curves on the level, angles instead of vertical curves (start and end of inclines), fishplates not joined correctly, etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Has the bogie been assembled the right way round I wonder?

When I compare the bogies on the middle coaches to the bogies on the driving trailer the bogies are all the same orientation but the bogies on the driving trailers do not rub against the coach bodies as the middle coach bogies do. Wonder if it just needs a washer to raise the middle coach bodies a bit......

Be interesting to see what Hornby says. Will try to speak to them tomorrow.

Keith

Edited by tetsudofan

It shouldn't be difficult to build just one loop with all sorts of problems built-in. Angles instead of curves on the level, angles instead of vertical curves (start and end of inclines), fishplates not joined correctly, etc.

Probably hard to specify what level of each element to test should be passable... Though would have thought this amount of clipping this model seems to get would have been easy to prevent...

Totally agree, this stuff costs so much, Hornby can invest a little in a proper testing track! 

Edited by DJMR

When I compare the bogies on the middle coaches to the bogies on the driving trailer the bogies are all the same orientation but the bogies on the driving trailers do not rub against the coach bodies as the middle coach bogies do. Wonder if it just needs a washer to raise the middle coach bodies a bit......

Be interesting to see what Hornby says. Will try to speak to them tomorrow.

Keith

I was thinking about the washer too, very good point but Hornby should find a solution... Hope they do with little inconvenience. 

Some concerning comments about bogies catching and causing derailments. Are there any RMWeb’rs that have received their Hitachi’s and everything is running OK? I’ve got 2 arriving on Saturday and really hope they’ll be OK for their debut at the Leamington Spa Exhibition the following weekend.

Some concerning comments about bogies catching and causing derailments. Are there any RMWeb’rs that have received their Hitachi’s and everything is running OK? I’ve got 2 arriving on Saturday and really hope they’ll be OK for their debut at the Leamington Spa Exhibition the following weekend.

I have two and they seem to move okay by hand till I power up the layout again then I will know for sure! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine's very nearly great - the lighting in the composite coach works in one direction only (on DC - probably the contacts need more adjustment), but other than that it seems fine.  Currently running round the outer circuit of a layout with curves of probably ~20-21" radius (the inner circuit was laid using an 18" radius Tracksetta), driven end at the rear (that's the direction in which all the lights work), with no problems.  Well worth the full price pre-order from Hornby!

• Like 2