Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

Mine's very nearly great - the lighting in the composite coach works in one direction only (on DC - probably the contacts need more adjustment), but other than that it seems fine.  Currently running round the outer circuit of a layout with curves of probably ~20-21" radius (the inner circuit was laid using an 18" radius Tracksetta), driven end at the rear (that's the direction in which all the lights work), with no problems.  Well worth the full price pre-order from Hornby!

Good to hear it’s running OK even on tight radius curves as although I’ve got 36” - 48” radius on the front of my layout the curves into the fiddleyard are tighter radius.

Mines arriving tomorrow. Unfortunately I only have an end to end layout at the moment due to space so will be watching with interest to see if Hornby come up with a solution. I would hate to leave it until I have some loops to discover it as it may be years yet!

Some concerning comments about bogies catching and causing derailments. Are there any RMWeb’rs that have received their Hitachi’s and everything is running OK? I’ve got 2 arriving on Saturday and really hope they’ll be OK for their debut at the Leamington Spa Exhibition the following weekend.

My runs fine. Just been running for 2 hours without any issues.  Both directions, all lights working, negotiates complex pointwork, both Peco and hand made......and on DC with a H&M safety minor.

Ran my son's Javelin in the opposite direction. Not surprising how similar they are....just a stretched Javelin body to get the IEP., nose sections and roof clutter identical.

Mike Wiltshire

Mine arrived this afternoon. As others have found the two end cars are fine but all three coaches have the same issue with the bogies catching the lowered part of the body moulding when at the extremes of turning - the sticky up bit of the bogie and you can definitely tell something is sticking inside. For £300 they should have got this one right; such a shame because it is a fantastic model and the livery is stunning. I am holding off sending it back until someone comes up with an easy fix.....

Luckily my current setup has no curves - end - end but the plan was for future development to have loops. No issues with other big units such as Rapido's APT-E. Hopefully Hornby will grasp the problems and resolve before the next batch and offer a FREE solution to those of us who have already purchased.

• RMweb Gold

OK, an update from me.....

I spoke with Hornby today bringing up this problem of which the guy I was speaking with was unaware. I explained the problem in detail and guided him to this thread and pointed to him Foo's picture (post #392) which clearly shows the problem. He said he would raise the problem with the appropriate people and get back to me in due course.

Keith

OK, an update from me.....

I spoke with Hornby today bringing up this problem of which the guy I was speaking with was unaware. I explained the problem in detail and guided him to this thread and pointed to him Foo's picture (post #392) which clearly shows the problem. He said he would raise the problem with the appropriate people and get back to me in due course.

Keith

Super thank you for the update! I would appreciate if you could keep updating when you get some more information? Thanks :)

Morning all

First post for me on this forum but been lurking for a while.  My Class 800 also has this same issue. On all the coaches, the bogies are catching the bodywork - specifically the white detailing features on the lower side of the bodies.  Spoke with Hornby and they are looking into it.  Let's hope they sort it as the model is great, with superb detailing.

Jonesey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Latest update on the problem.

The guy from Hornby phoned me earlier today, as he said he would, and asked me a couple more questions regarding the derailments and confirmed that the guys at Hornby are on the job and hope to get this sorted as soon as possible. They are as much concerned as we are.

Keith

Latest update on the problem.

The guy from Hornby phoned me earlier today, as he said he would, and asked me a couple more questions regarding the derailments and confirmed that the guys at Hornby are on the job and hope to get this sorted as soon as possible. They are as much concerned as we are.

Keith

Glad to hear they are looking for a solution, I just hope it will be at little inconvenience as possible. Time will tell! 

• RMweb Premium

As hopefully this will be. Watch out for missing components, my coach 812004 is missing the silver equipment boxes that cover the coupling. I can also confirm the bogie catching issues.

Are you 100% sure that the 812004 coach should have them?  Watching this video very slowly (about 3:19-3:20) suggests to me that the 8120xx coach doesn't have them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuA2bHLDbpw

Are you 100% sure that the 812004 coach should have them?  Watching this video very slowly (about 3:19-3:20) suggests to me that the 8120xx coach doesn't have them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuA2bHLDbpw

Good spotting, very true, the actual train doesn't have a box on one of the coaches, but this is the promotion photos from Hornby... But then their promotional video of the IEP shows without as per prototypical... Very inconsistent! 

post-31040-0-40830200-1519331722_thumb.jpg

While I understand that this doesn't mean it's correct looking at the pics of the 5 car pack on rails website there seems to be one car that has no silver box on it. 

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/32298/Hornby-r3514-oo-gauge-hitachi-iep-bi-mode-class-800-0-gwr-5-car-train-pack

I think the photos are a bad representation and misleading, which I will be letting Hornby know about this when I call tomorrow, in the Hornby Magazine review it also depicts the prototypical and not whats in the photographs. I suspect the photographs were taken before they were corrected.

https://youtu.be/6gbIstfJKSI?t=43s

• RMweb Gold

As hopefully this will be. Watch out for missing components, my coach 812004 is missing the silver equipment boxes that cover the coupling. I can also confirm the bogie catching issues.

Think that's they way they come. Look at the box design and you will see that some of the coaches come without the equipment boxes.

Keith

Edited by tetsudofan

May I ask, did anyone get the optional "Etched GWR Logo"?

It was mentioned in this article, but in both of mine they are not present; https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/hitachi-iep-class-800-gwr-decoration-samples-have-arrived

With not long to go until its release, we're sure the Class 800 IEP will impress. We’ve worked very hard to ensure the train looks as close to the real thing as possible when it’s on the tracks. We’ve reduced the amount of space between the coaches and worked hard to ensure that all the decoration details are as accurate as possible. To do this, like with the GWR Class 43 HST train pack we featured last week, modellers will have the option to add etched ‘GWR’ logos to the power cars which give them a slight embossed effect and really makes them stand out.

GWR-Badges_1_zoomed_web.jpg

A strip of etched 'GWR' logos that will come with the GWR Class 800 train pack

Sadly, you are wrong. Coach B does not have any toilets. GWR Layout: IET Seat Map 5 Car

Photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iephst2/35341182981/sizes/l

Coach B has bike space and a trolly park instead of the toilet. 

Lets me frank, the level of attention to the design is superb. Even the floor heights between the DTPF(S) and M©S has been modelled. 

Edited by 159220

May I ask, did anyone get the optional "Etched GWR Logo"?

Glad they did not do this, as the prototype does not have metal plates. Just vinyl. As you shall see from my photo above, they have even captured the detail of the gWr logo. My favourite part of the model!