Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

I think he was saying that the errors on the first batch of DRS 68's, were subsequently corrected on the second batch and was hoping the same would occur with the Hornby 800's.

Ive also noticed, but not seen if anyone else may have, but the silver waistband line decal is too high, being just below the windows. On 'in service' units its placed just where the body curves inwards towards the bottom. Also on the 1st class driving car, there are 2 'disabled' labels by the rear door. So yes, from my original post i do hope the next batch will have the changes corrected as noted here and in Model rail mag.

My apologies if I have said this before but I hope that someday there will be extra coaches available to create the class 800/3 sets with 9 coaches for anybody with enough layout space to run it.

Numbers won't be right but... https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/gwr-iep-bi-mode-class-800-0-coach-pack-era-11.html

Frizinghall Models has an oval test track, I don't know anywhere else off hand

(Maybe this could be a separate topic in its own right - which model shops have oval test tracks)

A Oakes has a few layouts, I think one is circular but tight radius...

Sorry, but, that is not the only thing which would not be 'right'. Shall I say it (I feel like it has been said several times already).

The four additional coaches to make up a 9-car unit would require two Trailer Standards, they are currently not offered by Hornby. These have inner-frame bogies and no-fuel tanks (and thus no brake resistor radiators on the roof). Thus the pack you are pointing too, is only good for the centre cars of any 5-car GWR 800/0. Naturally the MC has different internal seating and the additional centre '813xxx' MS coach has two diagonal matt bands that would not suit any 'pretend' 9-car coaches. 

It must be a tough decision for Hornby to offer a 800/1, 800/3 or 801/2 as if you do not offer them as 9-car,  they are as unsatisfactory as offering TS coaches (plus two MS) for a 800/0, 800/2, 801/1 5-car unit. 

It will have been a simple judgement of the market size - the number of units that are likely to be sold to:

Those who can only accommodate or afford a 5-car set.

Those who'll buy two 5-car sets.

Those who'll buy a 9-car set but aren't bothered if they aren't the correct nine cars.

Those who will buy a nine-car set ONLY if it's the correct nine cars.

Sorry, but I think those are listed in order of likelihood - and probably based on how well the 5BEL unit sold - and whether they could assess how many 10-car Belles there are in operation.

Or possibly the Pendolino sets, which I think is the first time Hornby actually made the effort to produce complete and accurate rakes of a train of that length, right down to numbering.

They did the same for the (shorter) Javelin too, but the most recent of the sets didn't have the extra coaches released for it. So that's probably not a good sign.

Sorry, but, that is not the only thing which would not be 'right'. Shall I say it (I feel like it has been said several times already).

The four additional coaches to make up a 9-car unit would require two Trailer Standards, they are currently not offered by Hornby. These have inner-frame bogies and no-fuel tanks (and thus no brake resistor radiators on the roof). Thus the pack you are pointing too, is only good for the centre cars of any 5-car GWR 800/0. Naturally the MC has different internal seating and the additional centre '813xxx' MS coach has two diagonal matt bands that would not suit any 'pretend' 9-car coaches. 

It must be a tough decision for Hornby to offer a 800/1, 800/3 or 801/2 as if you do not offer them as 9-car,  they are as unsatisfactory as offering TS coaches (plus two MS) for a 800/0, 800/2, 801/1 5-car unit. 

9 coaches of green of the same class is good enough for those who want it without much effort! Not everyone cares about accuracy to that extent :P

Can't say its an insufficient start-point for modification projects!

Edited by centraltrains

Frizinghall Models has an oval test track, I don't know anywhere else off hand

(Maybe this could be a separate topic in its own right - which model shops have oval test tracks)

Roxley Models in Bookham, Surrey has a test circuit.

Ed Chap

Just out of interest has anyone bought a 800004 set and had no problems at all with the set, including no running and derailing issues? 

Thank you in advance. 

Yes... me...  (again !!)  it runs a treat in both directions at a scale 100mph plus - I would buy another tomorrow if I wasn't budgeting for everything else on my shopping list  but (possibly fortuitously) I cannot afford two (to ?)  and do the shopping list as well otherwise given the comments here it would probably show my first one up as the exception !! ...

Those of you who have been following this thread will know that I had derailing issues with both my IETs and that one of them had an electrical issue with the un-powered driving vehicle causing the Head/Tail lights to go out and that there have been a ‘few issues’ fixing this electrical fault. I’m pleased to say that this fault has now been sorted by Hornby (and I had a bit of fun this morning driving my IET on ‘Readham’).

Throughout the ‘journey’ of getting my IETs sorted Simon Kohler has taken personal ownership, keeping me informed at all times, letting me know what the ‘lessons’ learned’ are in the Service Centre - he has been a great ambassador for Hornby and believe me he has a massive passion for getting Hornby’s reputation and the company back up where it should be, I have sincere gratitude and admiration for the legend that is ‘Simon Kohler’ :)

Edited by SteveC32
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

My 800 was sent away to Hornby for the bogie modification last week. It arrived with them on Monday and today I have received a notification that it's on its way back. Pretty quick turnaround from Hornby. Hopefully all will now be well with the model.

• RMweb Gold

I was at Peterborough station earlier today and got to see 800103 in plain white livery as it trundled south towards Kings Cross.  Later on, both 800101 in the Virgin livery and 800103 thundered north back to Doncaster.  People complained the the Hornby model had bogie issues but I can say that 811103, it will have to visit the wheel lathe as it had some terrible flats as it went north at high speed  :O  :O  :O .

The Virgin liveried 800 looked impressive as it went past, shame that Hornby only produced the two driving ends as I'm sure I would have splashed out and bought the whole train if it had been available. 

post-9991-0-54772700-1525472609_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-78054700-1525472780_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-02698100-1525472796_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-72046400-1525472811_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-10463300-1525472829_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-48815300-1525472850_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-04620200-1525472868_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-42259700-1525472882_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-99596700-1525472900_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-28542400-1525472915_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-24785100-1525472929_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-97662500-1525472985_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-79439300-1525473003_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-87267700-1525473039_thumb.jpg

post-9991-0-40759900-1525473055_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Brilliant move to introduce one of the IN SERVICE 800/0s, and what a fine choice with Paddington Bear. Also, feed into the following of all things Paddington Bear. Great offering to those who have been left disappointed by the release of TEST TRAIN 800004. 

Has anyone done sound for the 800/0 yet?

The Virgin liveried 800 looked impressive as it went past, shame that Hornby only produced the two driving ends ......

Hornby haven't yet produced the driving vehicles, or any part of an 800, in Virgin livery.

The driving ends you are talking about, are from the test train pack.

One driving car in plain, pre-delivery white and the other in a Hitachi promotional livery.

It's not a Virgin livery.

• RMweb Premium

Quick question from a newbie into railway modelling.

With Hornby also releasing the 800 'Paddington Livery' (link here), can I use the 3-car coach pack (link here) to make a 9 car train? Or will the coaches not be the same?

Thanks

See post 788 above where this was answered (I have repeated it below). However the real train is only a 5 car unit - it is NOT A 9 CAR ONE so no additional vehicles are required

Please remember that the individual vehicles used in 9 car 800s are NOT THE SAME as the 5 car sets.

You can no more make a 9 car 800 from Hornbys current tooling (note they haven't made any trailer standards yet as these are not required for the 5 car sets) than you can male a 8 car Western Region Blue Pullman by adding extra cars to Bachmann's existing 6 car Blue Pullman.

The 800 is an EMU / DEMU train and like all such units each car within the set tends to be unique. Its not the same as simply adding another couple of Mk3s to an HST set or a traditional loco hauled rake.

The use of distributed traction (some cars have traction motors, others don't), plus the installation of bi-mode power packs on some (but not all) cars means, and the arrangements for 1st class accommodation means you cannot simply 'drop in' an extra car or four without the end result looking very different from the real thing.

Of course if you are willing to purchase one or more of the coach packs, then hack away / fill / respray your new purchases then a sufficiently talented modeller might well be able to get pretty close to the real thing - but thats a lot of work.

A more realistic option is to do what the real GWR do - buy two 5 car sets and run them coupled together (though that might require some modifications to the couplers between the two units)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With Hornby also releasing the 800 'Paddington Livery' (link here), can I use the 3-car coach pack (link here) to make a 9 car train? Or will the coaches not be the same?

Thanks

No. When I did mathematics at university, 5 + 3 was equal to 8. As far as I am aware that hasn't changed since.

Has anyone done sound for the 800/0 yet?

I don't think GWR has been approached to do a sound file for an 800, and Hitachi are very busy with testing of the 800's, so it could be a while yet. Of course, as I've said before, it would be quite a complex sound file, 2 engine sounds, 4 horn sounds, the transition between Diesel and Electric is actually quite complex and there are many other weird sounds....

Thanks

No, 9 Car units have 2 trailer cars with inside bearing bogies, because they have no traction equipment, which Hornby haven't modelled yet.

Simon

I don't think GWR has been approached to do a sound file for an 800, and Hitachi are very busy with testing of the 800's, so it could be a while yet. Of course, as I've said before, it would be quite a complex sound file, 2 engine sounds, 4 horn sounds, the transition between Diesel and Electric is actually quite complex and there are many other weird sounds....

Useful information, Thanks and perhaps one to ask Biff. Wonder how Olivia's acquired the file they have advertised then - from YouTube!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

... and there are many other weird sounds....

Simon

You're right there!

On recent observations I've heard (or rather not heard!) one with the driving trailer making no (air-con?) noise, and when it was a warmer day a 2x5 train making a different "fan-type" noise. Was this the air con working harder, or, as the train had been on diesel power for the previous 40 miles, power pack cooling working harder? 

....it would be quite a complex sound file....

.....and there are many other weird sounds....

Passenger sounds?

"Eeeh Mildred, these seats are a bit 'ard !"

"Aye, but yuh can stretch y'legs out nicely"

"When's trolly cummin' round. I'm parched".

• RMweb Gold

Finally had a chance to have a look at my modified IEP after being away for a couple of weeks.  The bogies on the centre coaches have all received a thin clear plastic washer and a bit of lubricant.  I've not seen a pic of the mod on here yet so here you go:-

post-462-0-01993600-1526314528_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if there has been some light filing of the clip as well or if that is just wear and tear.

The troublesome 812004 coach is now click free and stays on the rails. I've given all the centre coaches a push test across my Hornby radius 3 S-shape as before and they all perform well. Subjected the coaches to a gradient and they didn't derail.  I have yet to try them out as a full coupled up 5 coach unit but I am hopeful that I will encounter no problems.

• Like 3

Thank you for posting. What this shows, is most interesting! It appears that the wheel axels are supported by an inside frame, rather than onto the bogie frame. This could possibly delight the one poster who keeps on banging on with the same question about making a 9-car set. As it appears the tooling allows for both outer and inner bogie frames onto the model bogie frame. 

Inside-Frame-trailer-bogieDSC01457-onlin

http://railengineer.uk/wp-content/uploads/Inside-Frame-trailer-bogieDSC01457-online.jpg