Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

Sounds odd having the sound out the driving cars when on the prototype it's the non driving cars with engines. The leading vehicle is virtually silent externally when leaving a station

Jo

There's a reasonable amount of space in the non-driving cars to fit a micro decoder and decent enough speaker for accuracy.

Using ESU LokProgrammer you can then have the engine sounds coming from the right place, while still keeping the decoder in the motorized car for the motor and horn sounds, and a micro decoder in the dummy driving car for the other end.

I took delivery yesterday of my brand new 5 car Hornby GWR Class 800 IEP.  Stunning model and looks great once I got the two decoders fitted and setup.

However, it ran OK on my oval circuit, but when negotiating through standard Hornby points it would quite regularly derail.  

I did see another posting about the bogies having got stuck down in the polystyrene packaging, but they didn't appear to be on mine.  There is a noticeable click where the bogie seems to catch on the carriage body when moved from side to side.  On occasion, you can actually hear this click on curves/points.

I've spoken with Hornby first thing today and all credit to them, they are arranging DPD to collect the whole boxed set tomorrow to go back for 'modification'.  Up to two weeks turn round.

A previous post showed a 'C' shaped washer having been added to, I guess every one of the bogies on the whole five car unit?  Has this proved very successful for those who had this Hornby 'mod' done?

Thanks

Sounds odd having the sound out the driving cars when on the prototype it's the non driving cars with engines. The leading vehicle is virtually silent externally when leaving a station

Jo

We have put a small sugarcube in the Driving cars (For Horns-Air Brakes) and a much larger Earth Mover in the 2nd coaches.  Of course some engine sounds will come from the 1st car but most of the noise is from the second car.  'Honest' !!!

Charlie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Being in the US, it was problematic to return my IEP to Hornby for the modifications to correct the derailing issues.  I contacted Hornby by email and, and after confirming that I was willing to do the fix myself, they quickly sent me the necessary parts and well-illustrated instructions for doing the mods myself.  Well done to Hornby.

• Like 3

It would be very interesting if we could see these instructions and the parts they supplied (for interest really)?

I was very impressed with Hornby Customer Service and their extremely fast turnaround here in the UK. 

After my call to Mark at Hornby, they sent DPD to pickup (at their cost) my new R3514 complete set from home.  I was initially advised to allow two weeks turnaround for repair, once they had it back.  The parcel was collected Thursday afternoon.  It arrived with Hornby on Friday morning.  On Monday lunchtime, I received a text from DPD to say my parcel from Hornby Spares was on its way back!

The paperwork accompanying the parcel, says that the bogie has been adjusted and tested.

I'm guessing the 'C' shaped clear washer (as shown in an earlier post) has been added to each bogie in my set.  The set now runs much better and every bogie can be turned from side to side without catching on the carriage body, which it did before.  Not sure if I can see any other modifications, although lubricant I'm certain has been used across the bogies.

If I lead the whole set with the dummy power car (with the power car pushing from the other end), it does derail on occasion going off on points, but the other way round is absolutely fine.

Thanks Hornby for absolutely fantastic Customer Service!

Edited by rencar12
  • Like 1

Thank you

Parts consist of a sheet of transparent c-shaped washers--photo attached, I hope (washers are clear, I photographed sheet on a piece of green paper).  Instructions are also attached (again, I hope).

Thank you – that’s interesting. I fixed mine by loosening the coupling screws but there are no major changes of gradient or sharp curves on my layout. Now I’m wondering if I should carry out the modification myself just in case I decide to run the problem child on another layout.

Thank you

Thank you – that’s interesting. I fixed mine by loosening the coupling screws but there are no major changes of gradient or sharp curves on my layout. Now I’m wondering if I should carry out the modification myself just in case I decide to run the problem child on another layout.

My feeling is that I rather be sure that it will run well should I decide to add gradients or tighter curves to my layout.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Hornby could make this as a Class 802? Or would the tooling need to be modified to make a Class 802? They look more or less the same to me.

Pretty much the same the 802/0, 802/2 & 802/3 with the 800/0 that Hornby offer. If you scroll back a few pages, you shall find a useful table I produced for this occasion. 

Main differences with all 802 - 5 car (for the model - prototypes have more differences!) is the roof radiators/resistors for the dynamic braking. Additionally, as mentioned before here by myself, the 802/2 has a smaller kitchen - this impacts the model as the DTPF on Hornby 800/0 holds the motor, which takes up the three blanked out windows of the kitchen in the prototype. The 802/2 only has two blanked out windows- thus the motor on a possible model would show.

Perhaps (dreaming here) if Hornby were to tweak the 800/0, they could develop a low floor motor and install a working DCC controlled pantograph....  

Perhaps (dreaming here) if Hornby were to tweak the 800/0, they could develop a low floor motor and install a working DCC controlled pantograph....

Hi,

I wonder what speed they would have the pantograph raise and lower at, there's 3 possible rates...

Simon

• 1 month later...

I received an email from Hattons last night advising me that the R3691 Paddington Bear Limited Edition GWR IEP is due in to stock tomorrow, Thursday October 25th.

I am hoping they are honouring the pre-order price of £319, as the email had the price at £399.99, presumably the SRP?

I received an email from Hattons last night advising me that the R3691 Paddington Bear Limited Edition GWR IEP is due in to stock tomorrow, Thursday October 25th.

I am hoping they are honouring the pre-order price of £319, as the email had the price at £399.99, presumably the SRP?

Crikey! That price has shot up... I have one on preorder from here. Hopefully Hattons will keep to the price at which you preordered.

https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product/Hornby-r3691-class-800-iep-5-car-set-800010-paddington-bear-michael-bond-in-gwr-green-with-paddington-bear-branding/

Edited by Shoey

Why are you buying from Hattons? Go explore the amazing selection of smaller local model shops, the ones who really shall appreciate your business and reward you with free next day postage. Their all online, even Hornby encourages this on their social media. 

As for the price, it was announced a few months ago that Hornby are restricting heavy discounting within X weeks of release? It was clearly stated, this does not effect existing pre-orders retailers have with Hornby i.e. new orders only. But of course, Hattons exists to profit from those who just don't check out their options. Seeing as Hattons never discounted Hornby items as far as 20-25%, again, go check out the local shops as they do! (Even the other big box shifter Rails of Sheffield).

I used DE Rails, you could not ask for a better service. Though there are loads of other brilliant local online retailers out there! (Invicta, The Hobby Centre, Colletts, Arcadia, Sawyers, Hereford Model Centre, etc)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Go explore the amazing selection of smaller local model shops, the ones who really shall appreciate your business

Agree. Ordered mine from Trident Trains and got a message today that it arrived today. Will be calling by to collect tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

Why are you buying from Hattons? Go explore the amazing selection of smaller local model shops, the ones who really shall appreciate your business and reward you with free next day postage. Their all online, even Hornby encourages this on their social media. 

As for the price, it was announced a few months ago that Hornby are restricting heavy discounting within X weeks of release? It was clearly stated, this does not effect existing pre-orders retailers have with Hornby i.e. new orders only. But of course, Hattons exists to profit from those who just don't check out their options. Seeing as Hattons never discounted Hornby items as far as 20-25%, again, go check out the local shops as they do! (Even the other big box shifter Rails of Sheffield).

I used DE Rails, you could not ask for a better service. Though there are loads of other brilliant local online retailers out there! (Invicta, The Hobby Centre, Colletts, Arcadia, Sawyers, Hereford Model Centre, etc)

I think you missed the point that he has preordered at £319 but that email said £399. I’m sure it’s a mistake and Hattons will honour the order price. I do agree with you though , lots of shops out there , some can be very competitive . I have first hand experience of Arcadia . Superb

Yes my post was misunderstood.

For the record, I do try and shop locally, but we only have one shop now and by the time I made my decision on this item, their small allocation was pre-sold, so I had to look further afield. As far as I can recall, Rails were also sold out to pre-order as well.

I have nothing for or against any particular retailer, I was just wondering if anyone else had pre-ordered from Hattons and has received the same notification email.

I’ve logged in to my account at Hattons and my pre-order is still showing at £319, so I expect it is fine. It just appears that Hattons still have some unsold units and have now raised the price to SRP for new orders, which is fair enough, and the email picked up theirs current selling price I think.

It is not really good cricket where most retailers had numbers limited, but Hattons has 'more than 10 in stock'. How do smaller retailers expect to compete, if the product is not shared around fairly?

Edited by 159220

I can't answer for the original poster, but I can answer why Hattons gets my business - they've earned it.

They reply to e-mails.

I've never had to chase an order from them for over a year.

I've never missed a pre-order because they "forgot about it, sorry, we're out of stock now, would you like a Class 37 instead?"

I've never had them send me the wrong model, and then been "well, it's yours now, we can't take it back, if you want to buy the one you really wanted, we can charge your card again"

And in the cases have gone wrong, including things like missing decoders in DCC Fitted models, the bag of detail parts being missing, etc. they've quickly and apologetically corrected the problem.

I don't get the bad attitude towards Hattons. They are not Amazon, or Walmart, or some giant corporation - they're just a local model shop that's "done good" and grown because they're successful.

By all means, order from your favorite shops, and avoid shops you've had issues with (all of the above are genuine responses I've gotten from "local model shops" about orders) - but telling people not to order from a shop, that is a successful part of our hobby, just because that shop is successful seems counter-productive.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't answer for the original poster, but I can answer why Hattons gets my business - they've earned it.

They reply to e-mails.

I've never had to chase an order from them for over a year.

I've never missed a pre-order because they "forgot about it, sorry, we're out of stock now, would you like a Class 37 instead?"

I've never had them send me the wrong model, and then been "well, it's yours now, we can't take it back, if you want to buy the one you really wanted, we can charge your card again"

And in the cases have gone wrong, including things like missing decoders in DCC Fitted models, the bag of detail parts being missing, etc. they've quickly and apologetically corrected the problem.

I don't get the bad attitude towards Hattons. They are not Amazon, or Walmart, or some giant corporation - they're just a local model shop that's "done good" and grown because they're successful.

By all means, order from your favorite shops, and avoid shops you've had issues with (all of the above are genuine responses I've gotten from "local model shops" about orders) - but telling people not to order from a shop, that is a successful part of our hobby, just because that shop is successful seems counter-productive.

And they have (for me at least - I can't speak for others) honoured the £319 pre-order price - I ordered before Hornby's 10% limit was introduced, so was slightly concerned...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Personally I don't get the bad attitude to real mega corporations let alone corporate minnows like Hattons. The reason some of the big mega corps have been so successful is that they meet the expectations of their customers and provide something those customers value.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I don't get the bad attitude to real mega corporations let alone corporate minnows like Hattons. The reason some of the big mega corps have been so successful is that they meet the expectations of their customers and provide something those customers value.

And they started off as small businesses, they have probably worked very hard to get where they are.

Richard

Or had venture capital funding, obtained a stock market flotation and grew further through mergers and acquisitions. Edited by adb968008