Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

1 hour ago, Connor43002 said:

My mistake, I live in Cornwall so just assumed it was the entirety of the south west that didn't get 5 car 800s anymore, although since I made the original comment I have known of 3 or 4 of them to have come down here   

It is rare they get into the Peoples Republic of Kernow although one was booked on the High Summer Saturdays Newquay train, not sure if they are still booked on it now it goes to Penzance, I did get a picture at Plymouth of 2 class 800s side by side but that was only because one terminated at Plymouth instead of running through to Paddington.

Looking forward to the new timetable with the 17 attachments taking place at Plymouth every weekday.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 125_driver said:

Haha very funny, but I'm guessing from the lack of response nobody has done them yet?! Really quite surprising I'd say.....

As others have mentioned, "1st Class" signs with white backgrounds and the GWR initials for the nose would come in handy as well. Maybe even the silver box surrounding the top headlight at the 1st Class end as well.  

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 125_driver said:

Also  , which decoder would be appropriate to be fitted to the 800, I'm not.fussed on sound however I want something that will not lose power if a bit of dirty track is encountered.....any advice much appreciated thank you.....

Any decoder will lose power if you have dirty track, you then need some means of providing power to bridge that loss, typically through the use of stay-alive capacitors. Some decoders are better suited to utilising stay-alives than others.  

Personally I use DCC Concepts Zen 218s, 6 functions, can be used in 8 or 21 pin locos and come with a small stay-alive, good enough for my needs. 

At the end if the day, keeping track clean is important, stay-alives used to overcome dirty track are just a sticky plaster covering the underlying problem. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 01:06, 125_driver said:

Also  , which decoder would be appropriate to be fitted to the 800, I'm not.fussed on sound however I want something that will not lose power if a bit of dirty track is encountered.....any advice much appreciated thank you.....

I emphasise that I haven’t tried this project on a Class 800 but I have used YouChoos products with satisfaction. Below is a link to the YouChoos installation guide, which includes stay-alives. I think it fair to say that space is short in Hornby’s 800 Class so the guide may be useful.

https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OOHornby800

Has anyone gone for the YouChoos version of the sound file.  I have listened to the example on their website and must say, isn't how I hear them from the regular travelling I do on them - by this I mean the engine runs sound from stationary to speed for both electric and diesel.  Might be good to hear from another source, or indeed from someone's model.

I've a matched pair from Biff in one set and was thinking of just a single one for my second unit.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got detailed images of the front of the IEP Class 800 (both the model and prototype) with the nose cone removed and the coupling in use?

I was thinking of making a pair 3D printed coupling to join two ends of the power cars together. Something that looks a bit more realistic and something is atleast functional where it can go around a curve.

TIA

Here's my attempt, it uses IIRC cut down Bachmann stepped Tension Lock couplings ,a short length of brass & a couple of 1.4mm screws

What I was contemplating doing was to cut the existing dummy couplings (at the red lines), glue them together, drill a hole through them & pass the brass tube through the hole to give abetter look than the brass tube

800coupling.jpg.79efc377752f8329fa9e75cfc1369e77.jpg

Hope this helps John

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Anyone got detailed images of the front of the IEP Class 800 (both the model and prototype) with the nose cone removed and the coupling in use?

Hope these are a help

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4694/40638243191_41c1bcb9ed_b.jpg

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4862/31030841357_6189cc7db8_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75454768@N02/16731115900

• Thanks 1

Does anyone think that Hornby will do the Class 802 in TPE livery and as a 5 car set?

It would be a perfect compliment to the Accurascale/Dapol TPE offerings to run together on a layout but must admit I don't know much about the Class 800 and whether an 802 is different to the 800 in regards to tooling, maybe someone can set me straight?

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Does anyone think that Hornby will do the Class 802 in TPE livery and as a 5 car set?

It would be a perfect compliment to the Accurascale/Dapol TPE offerings to run together on a layout but must admit I don't know much about the Class 800 and whether an 802 is different to the 800 in regards to tooling, maybe someone can set me straight?

I bloomin' well hope so I'd be all over that! One of my Hornby wish lists for 2020, along with eventually getting the LNER 800!

An 802 has bigger fuel tanks I think, but other than that not much at all different from the outside I don't think? I think given there are only 2 operators of 800s but 3 operate 802s (GWR, TPE and HT) I'd expect the tooling changes to be worthwhile?

I'd also probably be keen on a Hull Trains one, I like that livery too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Hear hear! Add myself to the TPE 802 list please.

Wonder if they'll do one in the proper colours and/or the grey :rolleyes:

It'll be nice to finally have a model of something I play with.

A grey one would be interesting since they are still getting about as far as I am aware. They also lent them to HT to do their training I think so probably have coverage of the whole ECML and also over to Manchester and Liverpool from York.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

A grey one would be interesting since they are still getting about as far as I am aware. They also lent them to HT to do their training I think so probably have coverage of the whole ECML and also over to Manchester and Liverpool from York.

Exactly! Perfect for anyone who models ECML, or across to Liverpool/Scarborough etc.

Just now, Legend said:

Agree you never know with Hornby , but a TPE full livery 802 has got to be a stunner . These 397 units (I think) look very nice too

I can see Accurascale doing the 397. They'll have the colours and licences for the Mk5As and then can venture out onto 195s and 331s, and of course the TfW and WMT versions. Onto a winner with them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1