Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

1 hour ago, JackB95 said:

I can see Accurascale doing the 397. They'll have the colours and licences for the Mk5As and then can venture out onto 195s and 331s, and of course the TfW and WMT versions. Onto a winner with them.

The 195/331 is something (if I were a manufacturer) I'd be jumping on right away, especially given I am assuming there will be some commonality with the 397 so it could be 3 for the price of 2 tooling and CAD wise? If Northern are replacing all their pacers with them they'll be everywhere up North. And then as you say there are the other orders which I assume will look like the 195/331.

I am biased too as I would like a 195!

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Anyone got detailed images of the front of the IEP Class 800 (both the model and prototype) with the nose cone removed and the coupling in use?

I was thinking of making a pair 3D printed coupling to join two ends of the power cars together. Something that looks a bit more realistic and something is atleast functional where it can go around a curve.

TIA

HTH.

Cheers,

Phil.

IMG_5605.JPG

IMG_5604.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a couple of functional couplers (though not like the real thing) and a cosmetic one.

NOTE: These are by no means accurate and a faithful reproduction, they're just the result of eye-balling it and trying to conform to Shapeways' 3D printing criteria. So there do lack the finer details and all the cables/pipes etc.

IMAGE 1:

In the background is the functional coupling. In the middle is the cosmetic one. In the foreground is the functional one with a more trainset appearance.

1.jpg.a78b407d1f637c462730d9e62bea17c5.jpg

IMAGE 2:
Showing both the functional ones in a disassembled state

2.jpg.648f1bb9e2f7aa741fb9badbff7ab601.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Ingenious! I particularly like the “less train-set” functional one. That they are not automatic is irrelevant because the nose cone has to be removed by hand anyway.

Thank you, when these go on sale, you will get both versions. I'm doing this solely to allow customers to get their money's worth out of Shapeways' ridiculous prices.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Thank you, when these go on sale, you will get both versions. I'm doing this solely to allow customers to get their money's worth out of Shapeways' ridiculous prices.

I had a look at your Shapeways link and saw these are currently on sale, are they still in a testing phase? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richy59 said:

I had a look at your Shapeways link and saw these are currently on sale, are they still in a testing phase? 

Yes, it was only uploaded a little under 2 hours ago... A few people have asked if they could be testers as they have multiple IEP Class 800 sets and layouts with a variety of track plans.

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to the LNER packs I have noticed the first one shows a full first class coach on the website. Does this mean the pack is based off a 9 car set and not a 5 car? I know the 'Celebrating Scotland' pack is based off a 9 car set and by the vehicles are given in the catalogue (811104, 813104, 815104, 818104 and 819104) are the same as the first pack (no composite or buffet) but on the website it shows a buffet and composite vehicles on the image. 

Does anyone know what each pack will contain as I would of thought the standard pack would be based off a 5 car set and the 'Celebrating Scotland' have the motor vehicles to save tooling.

1 hour ago, 43055 said:

In regards to the LNER packs I have noticed the first one shows a full first class coach on the website. Does this mean the pack is based off a 9 car set and not a 5 car? I know the 'Celebrating Scotland' pack is based off a 9 car set and by the vehicles are given in the catalogue (811104, 813104, 815104, 818104 and 819104) are the same as the first pack (no composite or buffet) but on the website it shows a buffet and composite vehicles on the image. 

Does anyone know what each pack will contain as I would of thought the standard pack would be based off a 5 car set and the 'Celebrating Scotland' have the motor vehicles to save tooling.

They are both 800/1s as far as I am aware

• 1 month later...

It's a shame, but I guess not surprising, that Hornby have used their normal packaging for the test train coach pack rather than go for a design complimenting that of the test train. 

If anyone from Hornby is reading this I'd be interested in buying some sort of special packaging for the test train and its coaches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have to admit the whole train does look nice . I wonder if anyone can tell us how it runs over uneven trackwork as that was an issue with the first GWR batch which I recall required plastic shims installed . All sorted now? 

7 minutes ago, Legend said:

Have to admit the whole train does look nice . I wonder if anyone can tell us how it runs over uneven trackwork as that was an issue with the first GWR batch which I recall required plastic shims installed . All sorted now? 

They are about 1mm higher than the power cars, there's a tiny bit more space between the bogies and the body compared to the two older driving units.

• Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Legend said:

I have both the original GWR and the Paddington one and while I had a few problems with the original to begin with I have never had any problems with the Paddington GWR set.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone!

We've come up with another (and hopefully better) design for couplings for the IEP Class 800 from Hornby. We cannot take credit for the idea, it's an idea we actually got from Hornby. Back when the Class 395 Javelin was first released, they had an inbuilt female coupling pocket. And there was a a coupling bar that clipped in (acting as the male part). It was basically a 3-link design. With that we have come up with a new 3-link coupling design. Images below.

1.jpg.689e4d9284a5393c56b5e4dd065c9043.jpg

2.jpg.af5b5960edf59f105408645de3bd4208.jpg

Previously there were a couple of forum members who were carrying out tests for me. One has changed era and the other has not been keeping well. I can't undertake trials for the couplings as I don't have and IEP Class 800 set, Shipping via Shapeways is too costly ($30+) for such a small item and as we are under lockdown, nothing can be shipped to us for a month now.

We're happy to upload the couplings as a BETA test for those who wish to BETA test it for me. It will be offered on our Shapeways shop for a reduced price for those who are willing to BETA test it. Please PM me if you're interested. We'll happily offer the couplings in different variations also for testing eg: multiple lengths of coupling bars, full set in WSF, a mix of WSF and FUD and so on.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Wow that looks like a great solution. Is that for coupling two units together? Or just for the coaches within a single unit? 

It's to couple two units/set together. Nose to nose... The couplings between the coaches seem fine to me. If people want a more realistic coupling, I can always draw up one provided someone can give me some dimensions.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hey everyone!

We've come up with another (and hopefully better) design for couplings for the IEP Class 800 from Hornby. We cannot take credit for the idea, it's an idea we actually got from Hornby. Back when the Class 395 Javelin was first released, they had an inbuilt female coupling pocket. And there was a a coupling bar that clipped in (acting as the male part). It was basically a 3-link design. With that we have come up with a new 3-link coupling design. Images below.

1.jpg.689e4d9284a5393c56b5e4dd065c9043.jpg

2.jpg.af5b5960edf59f105408645de3bd4208.jpg

Previously there were a couple of forum members who were carrying out tests for me. One has changed era and the other has not been keeping well. I can't undertake trials for the couplings as I don't have and IEP Class 800 set, Shipping via Shapeways is too costly ($30+) for such a small item and as we are under lockdown, nothing can be shipped to us for a month now.

We're happy to upload the couplings as a BETA test for those who wish to BETA test it for me. It will be offered on our Shapeways shop for a reduced price for those who are willing to BETA test it. Please PM me if you're interested. We'll happily offer the couplings in different variations also for testing eg: multiple lengths of coupling bars, full set in WSF, a mix of WSF and FUD and so on.

Bloody brilliant idea! Love it! Shame I've not got any 80X stuff. But deffo shall invest in some of these when I get round to it!

C'mon Hornby... TPE ones please!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Bloody brilliant idea! Love it! Shame I've not got any 80X stuff. But deffo shall invest in some of these when I get round to it!

Well there was a reference to TPE ones in the catalogue . Looks like it got pulled this year , Maybe next?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

They can't ignore the amount of people wanting TPE ones!

802 wise:

TPE - I'd have one (at least)

TPE grey - would probably have

Hull Trains - Would have one

I am holding off ordering the LNER Celebrating Scotland one (already have the first LNER one on order) and a second lot of mk5s in hope of a TPE and/or HT summer announcement given the TPE one was mentioned in the catalogue.

I think there are some subtle differences though in the catering car, roof packs and fuel tanks IIRC which may be why it looks like it was pulled from the catalogue if they are tweaking tooling. Not sure if the fuel tank differences are visible from outside though.

Edited by TomScrut

4 hours ago, Legend said:

Well there was a reference to TPE ones in the catalogue . Looks like it got pulled this year , Maybe next?

Oh was there? Gen!

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

They can't ignore the amount of people wanting TPE ones!

802 wise:

TPE - I'd have one (at least)

TPE grey - would probably have

Hull Trains - Would have one

I am holding off ordering the LNER Celebrating Scotland one (already have the first LNER one on order) and a second lot of mk5s in hope of a TPE and/or HT summer announcement given the TPE one was mentioned in the catalogue.

I think there are some subtle differences though in the catering car, roof packs and fuel tanks IIRC which may be why it looks like it was pulled from the catalogue if they are tweaking tooling. Not sure if the fuel tank differences are visible from outside though.

Damn right. I'd like a TPE and a grey one. The only difference I can think of that's obvious is the fact TPE/HT ones have two windows blanked out for the kitchen compared to GWR/LNER's three.