Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

6 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Oh was there?

Yes it was mentioned in the blurb at the start of the "train pack" section.

The 800 and 802 have differences in the covers on the roof or something I read somewhere, I am guessing the best place to get a pic of this would be at Kings Cross on the footbridge. One less window for the kitchen as you mentioned, and 802s have bigger fuel tanks but I don't know if these are hidden anyway, as the cars have streamlined covers between the bogies.

• RMweb Gold

hi all, after a derailment i broke a female coupler. I can't for the life of me find any. I've stumbled across a post using the couplings from the javline but i can't get them working.

has anyone been able to source them?

thanks

On 26/03/2020 at 13:06, MGR Hooper! said:

Hey everyone!

We've come up with another (and hopefully better) design for couplings for the IEP Class 800 from Hornby. We cannot take credit for the idea, it's an idea we actually got from Hornby. Back when the Class 395 Javelin was first released, they had an inbuilt female coupling pocket. And there was a a coupling bar that clipped in (acting as the male part). It was basically a 3-link design. With that we have come up with a new 3-link coupling design. Images below.

1.jpg.689e4d9284a5393c56b5e4dd065c9043.jpg

2.jpg.af5b5960edf59f105408645de3bd4208.jpg

Previously there were a couple of forum members who were carrying out tests for me. One has changed era and the other has not been keeping well. I can't undertake trials for the couplings as I don't have and IEP Class 800 set, Shipping via Shapeways is too costly ($30+) for such a small item and as we are under lockdown, nothing can be shipped to us for a month now.

We're happy to upload the couplings as a BETA test for those who wish to BETA test it for me. It will be offered on our Shapeways shop for a reduced price for those who are willing to BETA test it. Please PM me if you're interested. We'll happily offer the couplings in different variations also for testing eg: multiple lengths of coupling bars, full set in WSF, a mix of WSF and FUD and so on.

800coupling.jpg.79efc377752f8329fa9e75cfc1369e77.jpg

I thought someone asked if MGR's coupling had been tested, cant seem to find that post( maybe I just imagined it). Anyway!

I finally got around to testing the coupling I built 

The principle is the same as MGR's but nowhere as pretty 

I ran the 2 800's(power cars in positions 1 & 6) for a half dozen laps 

There are about 6 points in the circuit, Min Radius 2Ft, all Peco code 100, some track up to 20yrs old, a couple curves are super elevatored 

It ran flawlessly 

I would expect MGR's design to behave the same

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John ks said:

800coupling.jpg.79efc377752f8329fa9e75cfc1369e77.jpg

I thought someone asked if MGR's coupling had been tested, cant seem to find that post( maybe I just imagined it). Anyway!

I finally got around to testing the coupling I built 

The principle is the same as MGR's but nowhere as pretty 

I ran the 2 800's(power cars in positions 1 & 6) for a half dozen laps 

There are about 6 points in the circuit, Min Radius 2Ft, all Peco code 100, some track up to 20yrs old, a couple curves are super elevatored 

It ran flawlessly 

I would expect MGR's design to behave the same

John

Nice work. Still looks nice. Might not resemble the real one, but resembles a real bar type coupling. I did ask if anyone was interested in beta testing the coupling as I'm currently under lockdown for 3 weeks and Shapeways shipping charges are 5 times more than the product itself. I also don't have an IEP set.

I would be interested, but I do not understand post being 3x more? I looked at your 'Shapeways' site and see postage is £6.76 for the earlier version of coupling at £7.74 rrp. 

Seeing as I only currently own T2, as I am waiting for Hornby to either do a GWR 800/0 in correct livery or release a GWR 802/0. I plan to have at least 1x 800/0 and 3 x 802/0 so shall need coupling like this to run one 10 car. Sadly not ordering the LNER as they are fake 800/1 being only 5 car models based on a 9 car set. So it would be un-prototypical to run these as 2 x 5 car! 

Anyway, back to the coupling. I am interested! But I cannot test! 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

The older version of our couplings (which is being taken down tonight before we put up the updated one) costs $8.00. Shipping is $29.99 (yes there's more landmasses and countries outside of UK). Infact that's almost 4 times the cost of the product..

Shapeways shipping time and costs:-

https://support.shapeways.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006412813-Shipping-time-costs

11 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The older version of our couplings (which is being taken down tonight before we put up the updated one) costs $8.00. Shipping is $29.99 (yes there's more landmasses and countries outside of UK). Infact that's almost 4 times the cost of the product..

Shapeways shipping time and costs:-

https://support.shapeways.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006412813-Shipping-time-costs

I think we were interpreting your posts that the shapeways $$$ shipping was for everyone including the UK!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 43055 said:

GWR is currently running a competition (closes this friday) to design a special livery to thank NHS workers. The winning design will then be put onto a IET. 

A link would be useful?

I've searched the GWR website and facebook page, and cannot see anything.

4 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

That makes it 2 then, Hornby are also have a competition. And the winner will get a model from Hornby with that livery and a second set I think will be auctioned off. I may be wrong.

Is that on an 800? For some reason I thought it was a 395 it was on.

Would be cool if one of the TOCs then put it on a real train!

Edited by TomScrut

2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

A link would be useful?

I've searched the GWR website and facebook page, and cannot see anything.

Sorry: I found it though twitter early this morning. This is the website link:

https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/entertrainment

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Is that on an 800? For some reason I thought it was a 395 it was on.

Would be cool if one of the TOCs then put it on a real train!

Not sure about the Hornby comp but the GWR one says it will be applied to a 802 on the drawings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

That's the one I meant, you said earlier about the GWR comp getting put onto one.

Yes the GWR one will be applied to a 802 train but nothing has been said about a model. The Hornby one looks like the Hornby junior set from what I have seen?

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the modern GWR shewing a bit of class by naming on of the Class 800's 800025 Captain Tom Moore on his 100th birthday. Come on Hornby, can you follow suit.;)

376462724_classyGWR.jpg.ee5b12008d66c1a680b6c117665045b4.jpg1081923648_classyGWR(2).jpg.d1aa88b01f6b05ec668131f622bff741.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Nice to see the modern GWR shewing a bit of class by naming on of the Class 800's 800025 Captain Tom Moore on his 100th birthday. Come on Hornby, can you follow suit.;)

376462724_classyGWR.jpg.ee5b12008d66c1a680b6c117665045b4.jpg1081923648_classyGWR(2).jpg.d1aa88b01f6b05ec668131f622bff741.jpg

They already have done with the 66 so it wouldn't surprise me!

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

They already have done with the 66 so it wouldn't surprise me!

It wouldn't surprise me neither if Hornby did produce 800025 but i think it would be a slower seller than the Class 66 has been.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble with couplings on a change in gradient. There is no slack in the couplings like you'd get with bogie-attached ones. I tried a couple of disastrous experiments with weights on top to try to hold the carriages on the track. Anyone had similar issues and got a reliable solution? (Other then re-laying the track)