Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I also have 2 LNER ones on order, so I am super excited about these now, the GWR one isn't suitable region wise but the appeal was because it had Paddington on the side for my son's benefit, rule 1 and all that! Makes me want a TPE and HT 802 even more now!

Not wishing to burst anyone’s bubble but the two LNER versions are numbered for the 800/1’s, the 9 car sets but the good news is that they can be easily renumbered into the 800/2’s which are the 5 car sets and exactly the same as the 800/0’s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Not wishing to burst anyone’s bubble but the two LNER versions are numbered for the 800/1’s, the 9 car sets but the good news is that they can be easily renumbered into the 800/2’s which are the 5 car sets and exactly the same as the 800/0’s.

I was aware of that thanks, and it doesn't bother me.

Also Celebrating Scotland can't really be renumbered as it has a special livery on one of the end cars.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

A few questions regarding track geometries and slopes to aid with the development of my next layout. I am asking partially as I think most of the information currently available about these is now obsolete given its mostly complaints of before Hornby sorted the bogies out.

Does anybody know what the minimum gradient these will perform on is?

Also what are people's experience on running these at scale 125mph on R2 curves? I know there were issues with derailments early on but I presume this was because of the bogie issue rather than the speed on it's own. I have had one in my possession but I don't think I ran it that quickly on my inner track. I am looking to run these at 50mm track centres when in the scenic areas, when out of scenic I have devised a more compact geometry for in the corner of the room, which I have checked in theory against measurements taken from an actual model to check clearances from 800 to 800, which will probably be the worst thing I put on the layout on a regular basis for gauging. Anyway I have assumed for this that the minimum radius is R2, which they will navigate but the layout is going to be a mainline roundy roundy where I am going to want to be going 125mph with them if possible.

image.png.72e23dabf86010a083cb42bd4e76a0b1.png

The geometry, in case anybody is interested, is for a 90 degree curve that can be repeated over and over instead of having larger radii to the outside. So it is 20.7 deg at 805mm rad and then 48.6 deg at 438 and another 20.7 degrees at 805mm. If I recall from when I did this it gives at least the same clearance between IEP cars as R2-R3 67mm spacing. Outer lines just get 50mm more straight leading into it. This has not been physically tested but I do believe it to be accurate having recreated the dimensions of the cars and track in CAD to develop it. It's not perfect but I wanted something simple and repeatable (i.e. not a different setup for different tracks). At the 45 degree mark the tracks are 72mm centres.

Also in case anybody is interested, by my reckoning to run these at 50mm spacing 1000mm radius is as small as you want to go really if maintaining the spacing around the bend. Again I haven't tested this but it has been through the same process as the above.

I might have got the layout built by the time the LNER ones turn up!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

A few questions regarding track geometries and slopes to aid with the development of my next layout. I am asking partially as I think most of the information currently available about these is now obsolete given its mostly complaints of before Hornby sorted the bogies out.

Also what are people's experience on running these at scale 125mph on R2 curves? I know there were issues with derailments early on but I presume this was because of the bogie issue rather than the speed on it's own. I have had one in my possession but I don't think I ran it that quickly on my inner track. I am looking to run these at 50mm track centres when in the scenic areas, when out of scenic I have devised a more compact geometry for in the corner of the room, which I have checked in theory against measurements taken from an actual model to check clearances from 800 to 800, which will probably be the worst thing I put on the layout on a regular basis for gauging. Anyway I have assumed for this that the minimum radius is R2, which they will navigate but the layout is going to be a mainline roundy roundy where I am going to want to be going 125mph with them if possible.

The geometry, in case anybody is interested, is for a 90 degree curve that can be repeated over and over instead of having larger radii to the outside. So it is 20.7 deg at 805mm rad and then 48.6 deg at 438 and another 20.7 degrees at 805mm. If I recall from when I did this it gives at least the same clearance between IEP cars as R2-R3 67mm spacing. Outer lines just get 50mm more straight leading into it. This has not been physically tested but I do believe it to be accurate having recreated the dimensions of the cars and track in CAD to develop it. It's not perfect but I wanted something simple and repeatable (i.e. not a different setup for different tracks). At the 45 degree mark the tracks are 72mm centres.

Also in case anybody is interested, by my reckoning to run these at 50mm spacing 1000mm radius is as small as you want to go really if maintaining the spacing around the bend. Again I haven't tested this but it has been through the same process as the above.

Really interesting question, fraid I can’t answer as my tack is all gentle curves flexi track but the motor is a monster. It’s like a bull and fast! Defo in the Heljan “pull your house down” league. 

5 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Really interesting question, fraid I can’t answer as my tack is all gentle curves flexi track but the motor is a monster. It’s like a bull and fast! Defo in the Heljan “pull your house down” league. 

Yeah it does seem to pull well from what experience I have. When I had it I should have put my table on the slope and tested it!

• RMweb Premium

It was discussed way back in the thread, but even after the bogie modifications the problem isn't pulling power on a slope, but with the transition from flat to an up-slope.   There is little or no vertical play in the couplings, making the 5-car train into an almost rigid rod.  This can result in bogies lifting off of the track at the transition point.  If this is on a straight section, the bogie will more than likely drop back onto the track, but if the gradient change is on or close to a curve you may have problems. 

Due to poor baseboard construction/warpage, I have an unplanned gradient coincident with a curve, and have had no end of problems.  Appropriate canting/superelevation of the track eventually avoided derailments, but it was a case of "trial and error"... 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 16:11, TomScrut said:

I had huge issues with derailment at any kind of speed on relatively gentle curves, to the point I gave up and changed era! And this was with the later GWR 800 models released in 2019. Unfortunate really as otherwise a good model (other than the inability to run a 10 car which is the default formation on services to the south west!)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

45 minutes ago, 125_driver said:

I had huge issues with derailment at any kind of speed on relatively gentle curves, to the point I gave up and changed era! And this was with the later GWR 800 models released in 2019. Unfortunate really as otherwise a good model (other than the inability to run a 10 car which is the default formation on services to the south west!)

One thing I think I am going to do is try and apply some superelevation to the track, on the scenic sections for aesthetic value and on the tighter curves "off scene" to aid in keeping the train on the track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/01/2021 at 10:43, TomScrut said:

For those of you awaiting LNER ones, according to retailer sites the limited edition 2019 release is due Feb/March (depending on who's site you look at) and the Celebrating Scotland one is due March.

According to Hattons these are now summer arrival :(

• 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

I see the running number in this sample is a 5 car unit!

Well spotted!

I also wonder given these are due October (according to the Hornby site) if this sample is one of the first production ones air freighted over.

Isn't the APT in Chester something on those lines, and it's due date is similar.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2021 at 13:48, JackB95 said:

Latest Hornby Shed newsletter has some pictures which may please those on here! Anndddd, I see the running number in this sample is a 5 car unit! Have Hornby actually realised releasing a 9 car unit with 5 carriages wasn't good?! Surely not... https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/azuma-east-coast

image.png.fe4ee30177d0597f8c86fe368494b97f.png

image.png.912ad738d2af4d49bca80d9a780cf276.png

image.png.b0748ed54f1c2b81c9d28d5e61380e4e.png

image.png.c4f54b4cd36f4c6da92700ee3df069a8.png

image.png

Wow! Shame it took so long but these are going to be great! 

On 27/08/2021 at 13:59, TomScrut said:

I also wonder given these are due October (according to the Hornby site) if this sample is one of the first production ones air freighted over.

Anywhere I have seen any journalism on this, it does say they are livery samples. Therefore, I wonder how on earth they are supposedly here in October and November? Unless they have had these samples for a while and decided to do a feature on them at the same time as the 91.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Anywhere I have seen any journalism on this, it does say they are livery samples. Therefore, I wonder how on earth they are supposedly here in October and November? Unless they have had these samples for a while and decided to do a feature on them at the same time as the 91.

Of course if they arrived say after Mid -January, so it just tips into a 2022 price increase, that no one is allowed to avoid… 

On 27/08/2021 at 13:48, JackB95 said:

Latest Hornby Shed newsletter has some pictures which may please those on here! Anndddd, I see the running number in this sample is a 5 car unit! Have Hornby actually realised releasing a 9 car unit with 5 carriages wasn't good?! Surely not... https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/azuma-east-coast

image.png.fe4ee30177d0597f8c86fe368494b97f.png

image.png.912ad738d2af4d49bca80d9a780cf276.png

image.png.b0748ed54f1c2b81c9d28d5e61380e4e.png

image.png.c4f54b4cd36f4c6da92700ee3df069a8.png

image.png

Fingers crossed for a 4 coach add on pack in the future then.

They did it for the DFT liveried 2 pack, with a 3 coach extension!

2 hours ago, MrB said:

Fingers crossed for a 4 coach add on pack in the future then.

They did it for the DFT liveried 2 pack, with a 3 coach extension!

Hi,

Not possible with the current known suite of tooling, two of the additional cars would require inside bearing bogies, which are significantly different to the ones fitted to motor vehicles. They could do a coach pack for the DFT one as that is a standard 800/0 that doesn’t have non-powered trailer cars.

They may have tooled the extra bogies, but we don’t know that at the moment.

Of course they could ignore the difference, but then there would be complaints it wasn’t accurate. Of course if they don’t ignore it and don’t release the pack, there would be complaints about not being able to model a 9-Car……

Simon

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, St. Simon said:

They may have tooled the extra bogies, but we don’t know that at the moment.

Of course they could ignore the difference, but then there would be complaints it wasn’t accurate. Of course if they don’t ignore it and don’t release the pack, there would be complaints about not being able to model a 9-Car……

It will be interesting if something does happen. Avanti are having some 7 car ones aren't they, and I think they are the same body shell as these (unlike the EMT ones). The amount of people that could accommodate 7 car is greater than 9 I expect.

The only way I expect it would be worthwhile would be if they have tooled the bogies.

I expect there to be a trend between those who care about the details and those able to accommodate a 9 car train (at over 3m long) and so given the 9 car market is limited anyway it would want doing properly to give it any sort of chance.

If 9 cars don't cause me any issues I'd be keen I think. The longest train my layout has to deal with at the moment is 2 37s, 6 Pullman coaches and a MK1 brake and it is getting snug at the station.

I am still really hopeful of an 802 tooling. TPE, HT and now Lumo would all be on my shopping list. I.e. if it ever goes through York it will at least catch my attention!

• 1 month later...

So it is looking like the R3762 Azuma is still arriving this month according to the Hornby site, but R3827 (Celebrating Scotland) has gone back from December to May.

image.png.35cf821a6961af45e24a3a38d9311526.pngimage.png.e726948f1b4bd12e6720c46592958217.png

But on the page for R3827 it also says "Expected Winter 2022" so maybe they don't know when they are making them!

15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

But on the page for R3827 it also says "Expected Winter 2022" so maybe they don't know when they are making them!

I noticed that - but all the items from this year’s catalogue that are delayed to next year are all still marked as “due Winter 21/22”, despite some of them are now being in the expected June, July and August 2022 sections.

They keep saying we’re in for a bad winter this year, I hope that’s not because it’s going to last until August! :D

• Funny 1

10 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

I noticed that - but all the items from this year’s catalogue that are delayed to next year are all still marked as “due Winter 21/22”, despite some of them are now being in the expected June, July and August 2022 sections.

They keep saying we’re in for a bad winter this year, I hope that’s not because it’s going to last until August! :D

If only they were from this year's catalogue, R3762 is 2019 and R3827 is 2020!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...