Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Does look nice but I can't help but feel that the matt green cheapens it slightly though. If it looked more like this I would be more impressed. Just my opinion.

Some of the real ones are also looking very matt, giving rise to similar thoughts.... 

• Like 1

£68 per coach which isn't too bad

That is a little pricey! I have seen it for £295 (plus postage) which works out to £59.80 per coach. 

Collets of Exmouth have them for this price. 

Does look nice but I can't help but feel that the matt green cheapens it slightly though. If it looked more like this I would be more impressed. Just my opinion.attachicon.gifIMG_2341.PNG

I suggest you wait until you get your model. The paint finish and shade is just wonderful! As per the prototype, GWR Green is not that photogenic. 

• RMweb Gold

The first built class 800s for GWR were delivered in plain white and have been revinyled in green, giving a very matt finish. Die driver's door is a giveaway, with the white visible around the handrails and handles. From the sample I saw at a show last year, I would say Hornby have got this spot-on.

The more recent units and the new Class 802s have a green paint job and a much glossier finish, with no white bits visible.

Whatever one feels about the real thing, this is a stunning model and I'm not alone in hoping that an N Gauge version appears in due course.

• RMweb Premium

Hattons confirmed to me today that the front NEM pocket is fixed and does not move, so multiple units coupled together will not work on anything other than straight track

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Hattons confirmed to me today that the front NEM pocket is fixed and does not move, so multiple units coupled together will not work on anything other than straight track

If you use NEM kadees the heads swing on the coupler or hook & loop couplers there's plenty of play in the loop. I body mounted NEM kadees on my other units outer ends and they run thru large radius crossovers without issues. They might struggle on med and small radius but these long coaches will have huge overhangs there too.

• RMweb Premium

Would anyone happen to know if an IEP will have more overhang than a Pendolino?

If you use NEM kadees the heads swing on the coupler or hook & loop couplers there's plenty of play in the loop. I body mounted NEM kadees on my other units outer ends and they run thru large radius crossovers without issues. They might struggle on med and small radius but these long coaches will have huge overhangs there too.

Hadn't seen it anywhere before, but Hatton's information says minimum 3rd radius. Does anyone know whether they are clear of Mk3s on adjacent set track 2nd radius curves?

Edited by brushman47544

Dan's normally on the ball, I'll give him a call, thanks.

Just spoken to them. Excellent service as usual, they were waiting to see when the test 800 is due to send them together. It's not due for another couple of weeks so my BAR 800 will be with me tomorrow.

I'm actually on one now in first class travelling to Paddington. Impressed apart from the seats....

• RMweb Premium

Just spoken to them. Excellent service as usual, they were waiting to see when the test 800 is due to send them together. It's not due for another couple of weeks so my BAR 800 will be with me tomorrow.

I'm actually on one now in first class travelling to Paddington. Impressed apart from the seats....

Well the seats are one of the easiest things to change in a train (compared to, say, giving a Pendolino decent sized windows).

Mine just came today.... While it looks like a stunning model... Its runs terribly!!! It has a great motor, but the coaches just derail at every slight change in track height! There isn't enough movment in the boogies on the coaches. Not sure if this can be rectified or not. Only had this problem with one other model before (realtrack pacer). VERY annoying, especially at the price point.

Interior lights are nice :)

• RMweb Gold

Are the bogies clipped in or screwed as most others now? If they are screwed in just undo quarter turn and try again. I usually unscrew one end a quarter turn and the other half a turn on problem stock to give more float.

Are the bogies clipped in or screwed as most others now? If they are screwed in just undo quarter turn and try again. I usually unscrew one end a quarter turn and the other half a turn on problem stock to give more float.

Not sure! Bit nervous to go in! On one of the coaches the the bogie wont turn at all in one direction so may suggest screw... 

• RMweb Gold

It may be something inside the body pressing on the top of the spigot restricting them?

If it's just the bogie that's stiff and they unclip easily just gently file a bit off the bottom of the clips that are usually up inside with a needle file. It does the same thing and shouldn't cause damage if you use the flat edge of the file against the spigot. Don't be tempted to try and carve it back with a knife as you can bend or break the clip. I managed that on a Roco coach ;)

It may be something inside the body pressing on the top of the spigot restricting them?

If it's just the bogie that's stiff and they unclip easily just gently file a bit off the bottom of the clips that are usually up inside with a needle file. It does the same thing and shouldn't cause damage if you use the flat edge of the file against the spigot. Don't be tempted to try and carve it back with a knife as you can bend or break the clip. I managed that on a Roco coach ;)

I think I will wait to see if others have the same problem before putting a file to it!

Guest teacupteacup

It seems to be that the bogie clips the body shell of train, thus causing the body shells to unclip and the wheels to get locked. The other coaches still derail just as much on any incline though. Seriously not enough play in the boogies.

Maybe the start of your gradients are too severe for this model?  With the length of the vehicles, any incline needs to start very shallow to avoid the bottom of the shell making contact with the wheel flanges