Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

post-24481-0-31952600-1546721788_thumb.jpgIf you are going to weather your IEP, don't forget the door recess.

Having never seen an IEP until today, my suspicions about the recessed door ways

being a dirt trap were confirmed. Every door way on 10 coach train was filthy.

Carriage wash plants can't reach this area, so IEP operators will need to hire

staff to hand clean this area.

Being in the US, it was problematic to return my IEP to Hornby for the modifications to correct the derailing issues.  I contacted Hornby by email and, and after confirming that I was willing to do the fix myself, they quickly sent me the necessary parts and well-illustrated instructions for doing the mods myself.  Well done to Hornby.

Could you publish on here the Drawings & instructions to help RM Web members sort theirs out.  PLEASE.   Charlie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifP1340115.JPGIf you are going to weather your IEP, don't forget the door recess.

Having never seen an IEP until today, my suspicions about the recessed door ways

The train operators won’t need to hire anybody. Hitachi / Agility Trains may have to, they are the ones responsible for all care & maintenance of the 80X fleets.

If you are going to weather your IEP....

Having never seen an IEP until today....

How am I going to weather my Intercity Express Programme?

How could I see an Intercity Express Programme, its strictly a project within the DfT.

You might mean the 800 series / AT-300 train set made by Hitachi for the winner of the Intercity Express Programme, Agility Trains? 

Don't worry, its not you. Hornby also continuously use the term IEP without understanding the error in using the term.

attachicon.gifP1340115.JPGIf you are going to weather your IEP, don't forget the door recess.

How am I going to weather my Intercity Express Programme?

How could I see an Intercity Express Programme, its strictly a project within the DfT.

You might mean the 800 series / AT-300 train set made by Hitachi for the winner of the Intercity Express Programme, Agility Trains? 

Don't worry, its not you. Hornby also continuously use the term IEP without understanding the error in using the term.

As far as I know P = programme and T = Train

Therefore classes 800-802 are Inter City Express Trains or IETs 

As far as I know P = programme and T = Train

Therefore classes 800-802 are Inter City Express Trains or IETs 

Incorrect. The term Intercity Express Train (IET) is the name given by the current TOC, First Greater Western Limited under the name Great Western Railway (GWR) to the 800 Series train procured under the Intercity Express Programme. The Class 802 operated by GWR are certainly not anything to do with the 800/801 '800 Series' trains procured under the Intercity Express Programme, they are privately financed by Eversholt Rail (802/0 & 802/1) but operate under the name IET. 

Over on the East Coast Main Line, the chosen name is Azuma rather than IET for the class 800/801. A term given via the previous Franchise Holder by Stagecoach East Coast Trains Limited under the name Virgin Trains East Coast. This name, continuing under the 'operator of last resort' (OLR) which is a fully owned Department for Transport company, contracted out to EY, Arup and SNC-Lavalin Rail, and operated under the name London North Eastern Railway (LNER). 

The Class 802 on the east coast are privately financed by Angel Trains (802/2 & 802/3). With the name Trans Pennine Express use, Nova 1 and Hull Trains is to be announced. 

Not sure why people get confused, all out there to research and understand clearly (yes, that's me being sarcastic for saying it is grossly overly complex). Ive not even mentioned the various partners in the IEP winner, Agility Trains. I best not! 

Edited by 159220

Incorrect. The term Intercity Express Train (IET) is the name given by the current TOC, First Greater Western Limited under the name Great Western Railway (GWR) to the 800 Series train procured under the Intercity Express Programme. The Class 802 operated by GWR are certainly not anything to do with the 800/801 '800 Series' trains procured under the Intercity Express Programme, they are privately financed by Eversholt Rail (802/0 & 802/1) but operate under the name IET. 

Not sure why people get confused, all out there to research and understand clearly (yes, that's me being sarcastic for saying it is grossly overly complex). Ive not even mentioned the various partners in the IEP winner, Agility Trains. I best not! 

There is no confusion in my mind.  The DfT contracted Hitachi to build a fleet of HST replacement trains. Hitachi designed the initial class 800 and 801s as a DfT order, then the 802s became an upgrade of the existing design with different software and larger rheo roof pods, albeit procured via conventional Rosco, but still with DfT blessing.  It is ironic that the DfT procured 800s have had to be modded with larger fuel tanks, but apart from interiors, rheos, pigment and software the trains are identical. So as far as I am concerned class 800-802 are IETs. 

It is ironic that the DfT procured 800s have had to be modded with larger fuel tanks, but apart from interiors, rheos, pigment and software the trains are identical. So as far as I am concerned class 800-802 are IETs. 

In the same way the class 44, 45 and 46 were all known as Peaks because of the names applied to the class 44s.

Most of the staff either call them S H I T s (Super Hitachi Intercity Trains) or simply sHitachis.

Edited by royaloak
  • Funny 1

I'm not gonna get bogged down in the name debate but I'm really pleased to see the LNER model, its expensive but the GWR one I fitted sound to for someone earlier in the year was excellent, I can't wait to have my own which is the correct region for my layout. It appears to only be available through the Hornby website this one meaning theres no chance of a discount! I bet its popular though.

Richard

Rails have them (for preorder :rolleyes:):

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37302/Hornby-r3762-oo-gauge-lner-hitachi-iep-bi-mode-class-800-1-azuma-five-car-train-pack

Edited by TFR

The 5-car LNER Class 800 being released , represents only a small proportion of the LNER fleet.

There are only 10x 5-car Bi-modes on order for LNER, out of a total order for 65x 800's and 801's.

42 will be Electric 801's

22 will be Bi-Mode 800's  (inc. 13x 9-car)

43 will be 9-cars

What

The 5-car LNER Class 800 being released , represents only a small proportion of the LNER fleet.

There are only 10x 5-car Bi-modes on order for LNER, out of a total order for 65x 800's and 801's.

42 will be Electric 801's

22 will be Bi-Mode 800's  (inc. 13x 9-car)

43 will be 9-cars

Will Hornby release a 9-car version of the LNER IEP? Or even a 9-car version of the GWR Green IEP? I ask, as I'm not sure if I should get the 5-car versions, as I really prefer longer trains (I collect HSTs and generally have 8x/9x coach rakes for each.

Thanks

What

Will Hornby release a 9-car version of the LNER IEP? Or even a 9-car version of the GWR Green IEP? I ask, as I'm not sure if I should get the 5-car versions, as I really prefer longer trains (I collect HSTs and generally have 8x/9x coach rakes for each.

Thanks

Hi,

They need to tool the inside frame bogies to release a 9-car version, but it’s whether there’s demand for a 9-car.

Simon

What

Thanks

5-car units mainly run in 10-car (2x5-car) formation. So buy two and stop asking the same question over and over. It is tiresome. 

5-car units mainly run in 10-car (2x5-car) formation. So buy two and stop asking the same question over and over. It is tiresome.

There is no need to be so forthcoming and abrupt. I’m simply asking a question. As a young person and a relative newbie to model railways, with an attitude like yours, how are new people meant to understand the hobby, let alone inject much needed revenue into buying these models in the first place?

• RMweb Premium

The 5-cars are currently generally running as 2x5 but they're not working the "IET Timetable" yet. GWR have applied to DfT to run it from December, and which point we should see 5-cars on Temple Meads - Paddington limited stop "flyers". There are also plans for joining and dividing of 2x5s at various places, albeit the coupling procedure (still) isn't reliable enough at the moment. And, once the body-side camera issue is sorted, 5-cars will work the Paddington - Bedwyn services. 

The inside framed bogies are the most obvious difference on some vehicles of the 9-cars, but to be accurate the underframe pod (I'm sure that isn't its official name) has a smoother, plainer appearance as there is less equipment under there. But given Hornby retooled to do the larger fuel tank on the GWR 800/0 I'm sure they are aware of the differences, and probably have CAD if not tooling for it.

Over on the East Coast Main Line, the chosen name is Azuma rather than IET for the class 800/801. A term given via the previous Franchise Holder by Stagecoach East Coast Trains Limited under the name Virgin Trains East Coast. This name, continuing under the 'operator of last resort' (OLR) which is a fully owned Department for Transport company, contracted out to EY, Arup and SNC-Lavalin Rail, and operated under the name London North Eastern Railway (LNER). 

The Class 802 on the east coast are privately financed by Angel Trains (802/2 & 802/3). With the name Trans Pennine Express use, Nova 1 and Hull Trains is to be announced. 

You mean like an HST is an IC125? Or is an IC125 an HST? Sorry, but they'll be called what people call them regardless of what the industry wants, thinks or decides. I don't imagine Mr. Bulleid ever called his Pacifics 'spam cans'! (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

There is no need to be so forthcoming and abrupt. I’m simply asking a question. As a young person and a relative newbie to model railways, with an attitude like yours, how are new people meant to understand the hobby, let alone inject much needed revenue into buying these models in the first place?

But you keep asking the same question which only Hornby can answer, nobody on here can answer it no matter how many times you ask, the answer to buy 2 5 coach ones and run them together is the right answer at the moment.

Whether there will be demand for a 9 coach one nobody on here knows, taking the price of a five coach one and extrapolating that for a 9 coach one gives a rather eye watering price.

You mean like an HST is an IC125? Or is an IC125 an HST? Sorry, but they'll be called what people call them regardless of what the industry wants, thinks or decides. I don't imagine Mr. Bulleid ever called his Pacifics 'spam cans'! (CJL)

I have got several names for them but unfortunately none are suitable for publication on a family forum!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What do we think the likelihood is of Hornby doing a Class 802 in GWR livery?

Just curious as I model Cornwall and currently have 800003 on pre-order. I would be tempted to cancel my pre-order of 800003 if Hornby were to announce a GWR class 802 as it is more prototypical to my region.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Connor43002 said:

What do we think the likelihood is of Hornby doing a Class 802 in GWR livery?

Just curious as I model Cornwall and currently have 800003 on pre-order. I would be tempted to cancel my pre-order of 800003 if Hornby were to announce a GWR class 802 as it is more prototypical to my region.

Possibly in time but one thing is for sure, I doubt they will never be more than a 5 car set.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2019 at 19:02, royaloak said:

But you keep asking the same question which only Hornby can answer, nobody on here can answer it no matter how many times you ask, the answer to buy 2 5 coach ones and run them together is the right answer at the moment.

Whether there will be demand for a 9 coach one nobody on here knows, taking the price of a five coach one and extrapolating that for a 9 coach one gives a rather eye watering price.

Hornby are aware of the demand for a 9 car IET. My money is on it being provided in the same way as the Pendolino’s were, additional carriage packs to make a 5 car a 9 car (for the cost reasons quoted earlier in this topic).

• Like 2

Just now, SteveC32 said:

Hornby are aware of the demand for a 9 car IET. My money is on it being provided in the same way as the Pendolino’s were, additional carriage packs to make a 5 car a 9 car (for the cost reasons quoted earlier in this topic).

But then people will complain the numbers are wrong for a 9 coach, if they release a 5 coach with the numbers for a 9 coach people will complain the numbers are wrong for the 5 coach they thought they were buying, I dont think Hornby will win this one.

I would like a 9 car as well.

• Agree 1