National Collection in Miniature Dean Goods Class No 2516

LocomotionatShildon

post-9822-0-50803100-1479907126.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

NEW LOCOMOTIONMODELS.COM EXCLUSIVE EDITION MODEL

‘National Collection in Miniature’ series

Great Western Railway (GWR) No. 2516 Dean Goods Class

Produced by Oxford Rail

Locomotionmodels.com is delighted to announce the release of the latest Exclusive Edition in the ‘National Collection in Miniature’ model railway series – a finely detailed model of GWR No. 2516 Dean Goods Class, produced by Oxford Rail, and available in either DCC ready or with Sound versions.

The National Railway Museum’s Dean Goods locomotive no. 2516 is currently housed at STEAM – The Museum of the Great Western Railway in Swindon, Wiltshire. It was made in the same town in 1897, and was one of a class that worked all over the GWR network on light goods and passenger trains.

A large number of its classmates were sent abroad in both World Wars, but No. 2516 spent most of its working life in Wales and the Borders. It was taken out of service in May 1956 for preservation, and was the last but one of its type in British Railways service.

Restored in the 1960s for display, it currently appears at it would have done in the late 1920s Great Western green livery.

This is the first ‘National Collection in Miniature’ series model to be produced by Oxford Rail in an exciting new partnership with Locommotionmodels.com. The CAD design for the model has been fully inspected by NRM Curators, and the model will feature key details such as the correct firebox.

post-1-0-71726600-1479908063_thumb.jpg

The model will have the ever popular high gloss finish, and will be supplied in a beautiful wooden presentation case, with numbered certificate and detailed fittings.

An EP sample of the model and presentation box will be on display at the Locomotionmodels.com stand at the Warley Model Railway Show on November 26 and 27, 2016.

All profits generated from the sale of National Collection in Miniature models are re-invested into the ongoing work to conserve, expand and display the National Railway Collection and National Collection in Miniature.

For more information, or to reserve your model - priced £125 for DCC Ready and £225 for Sound - please contact the Locomotionmodels team on 01904 685785 or visit www.locomotionmodels.com.

Edited by Andy Y
Additional image
  • Like 3

Locomotion is a great place.  It houses some wonderful exhibits, and has a good model shop.  Everyone should visit (and should take in the nearby Head of Steam at Darlington, too).

With the commissioning of the GN Atlantic (which I am very happy to have bought) and the Stirling Single (which I hope to afford!), it has done a great service to the steam age modeller.  The modern image modeller has had much to celebrate with the APTE.

It is great to see another steam-outline model on the way. I would assume that Oxford scanned 2516, and, so, I hope we can expect that the tooling will allow an accurate model of this prototype to be achieved that avoids the issues that afflict 2309.  We shall have to wait and see with our fingers firmly crossed. 

That said, this is a model of a plain green work-a-day locomotive of the inter-war period.  It seems that making it special is largely to be achieved by giving it a wooden box and an "as preserved" gleam. Many serious modellers will have no need of the presentation case and will reach for the dullcoate to tone it down.  Thus, I would have vastly preferred the model to have been less glossy in a card-board box and closer to the standard Oxford Dean Goods in price, but no doubt the collectors will like it.

We should not mind paying a little more in order to support the preservation effort and I wish this one luck.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

Locomotion is a great place.  It houses some wonderful exhibits, and has a good model shop.  Everyone should visit (and should take in the nearby Head of Steam at Darlington, too).

A bit of a hike if you want to see the Dean Goods though......             :sarcastic:

I've supported Locomotion with a couple of large purchases, but I'll wait and see with this one for now. Hopefully they'll all be gone before I even think of buying one as that means it's a success.

Jason

It's interesting indeed!  But does this mean 'correct firebox' on all issues, or just this one corrected, or what?   If so l think this is the first time OR have listened to criticism and taken steps to correct it.  I won't hold my breath though!  :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting indeed!  But does this mean 'correct firebox' on all issues, or just this one corrected, or what?   If so l think this is the first time OR have listened to criticism and taken steps to correct it.  I won't hold my breath though!  :rolleyes:

They did listen to comments about the front bogie on the Radial and quickly modified it so that it would cope with uneven track, whilst I do have some reservations regarding the products they have released so far, they do seem to be able to make changes more rapidly than the bigger companies.

So, first question:  When was the top-feed removed from 2516?

Also, note how far back the chimney is mounted compared with the preserved locomotive.  It would have been useful if STEAM had provided a date for this photograph.

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/dean-goods-no-2516/print/4079975.html

This, presumably later, but also undated, picture more closely resembles 2516's preserved state.  It's in '40s livery, so I wonder at what stage she achieved this shape?

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/dean-goods-no-2516/print/4079977.html  

See also:

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/dean-goods-no-2516-merthyr-1956/print/4079979.html

So, sometime between wearing the top feed (1913?) long enough to be grubby (and unlined?) and gaining the 1940s livery, 2516 appears to have achieved the appearance she has in preservation and as Oxford will depict.

That is unsuperheated. I think the first superheaters (and the chimney moving forward) were c 1920 for the Dean Goods. Does RCTS clarify?

Alas, I have not, and cannot find for sale, the RCTS volume. William Dean, the Greatest of Them All is on order!

• RMweb Premium

The correct firebox (and a couple of the cab):

Going slightly off topic, but on topic, could you see in the photos if there was a separate reservoir / if at the bottom of the setter cylinder (the small cylinder above the main part of the brake valve), also known as automatic attachment if there were any other pipes coming away or if you could see a 'button' on the bottom of that cylinder?

I am working on a re-write of 'The Vacuum brake' and am trying to establish if all ex GWR steam braked engines have a separate res or if the earlier system still survives.

Apologies for going off topic. I hope it will be a lovely model and well supported.

• RMweb Premium

The heading photograph in the release was taken on the occasion of a SLS tour of Shropshire branches, as the headboard testifies, on 23/4/55. I'm pretty sure about that, I was in the lower sixth and chasing it on my bike. This is on the loop, (not platform) at Buildwas Jc. H.L., looking as if it wants to go to Much Wenlock and Lines West. I saw it at Coalport LNW, so it got about a bit that day. 2516 and it's mate 2538 were the last Deans around by then, shedded at Oswestry, for border byways.

• Like 2

Alas, I have not, and cannot find for sale, the RCTS volume. William Dean, the Greatest of Them All is on order!

Keep watching on Amazon and Ebay as I've got most of them for about £5 to £10 each over the last couple of years. Unfortunately I can't find my copy of the one with the 0-6-0s at the moment.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I can't imagine there will be one set of tools for the limited edition and another for the main release. My supposition is they will be identical. It's a reasonable price for a limited edition , but essentially you are paying extra for a wooden box and gloss finish.

• Like 1

I can't imagine there will be one set of tools for the limited edition and another for the main release. My supposition is they will be identical. It's a reasonable price for a limited edition , but essentially you are paying extra for a wooden box and gloss finish.

The gloss finish just sets it off really nicely. And don't forget the certificate too!! And remember every sale helps the museum to do different projects or events which we wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. Too many ands in those sentences...

• Like 3

This was a concern noted with regard to the 2309 model.  I don't think I explained it very well, but Miss Prism's pictures speak a thousand words.  As with 2309, the cab of the prototype seems to have been raised, presumably when the belpaire firebox was fitted.

As noted on the main Oxford Dean Goods topic, the cab of the model appears to be the height of the raised version, but the distance from the top of the cab cut-out to the roof line is too narrow, as if the cab had not been raised.  This, I worry, has had the effect of distorting the curve of the cab-side cut out (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107457-oxford-rail-announces-oo-gauge-gwr-dean-goods/page-20 - post#490).

Though Miss Prism's pictures illustrate the point best, you can see from the OP's picture of the prototype that the cut-out curves in more sharply than it does on the drawings of the model.  Below are a couple of cab-side shots of 2516 to further confirm this.

What did the NRM curators have to say about this, one wonders?

If there is any chance of correcting this apparent fault before release of the Locomotion model, that would be great. 

Incidentally, if you look at the picture of the real thing, you can clearly see the line marking the original roof line, before it was raised (see arrows).

post-25673-0-95473400-1479935830_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-25216900-1479936786.jpg

post-25673-0-47899400-1479936797.jpg

post-25673-0-32802900-1479937047.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Guest spet0114

Nice to see Locomotion expanding the range of companies they commission from. Also nice to see an NCiM subject that's actually in the national collection! Not quite back to the heady days of the Midland Compound, Ivatt Atlantic and the other exclusive tooling, but a partial return to form, IMO. I'll probably buy one, though the gloss finish is making me think twice.

• Like 1

With the commissioning of the GN Atlantic (which I am very happy to have bought) and the Stirling Single (which I hope to afford!), it has done a great service to the steam age modeller.  The modern image modeller has had much to celebrate with the APTE.

It is great to see another steam-outline model on the way. I would assume that Oxford scanned 2516, and, so, I hope we can expect that the tooling will allow an accurate model of this prototype to be achieved that avoids the issues that afflict 2309.  We shall have to wait and see with our fingers firmly crossed. 

That said, this is a model of a plain green work-a-day locomotive of the inter-war period.  It seems that making it special is largely to be achieved by giving it a wooden box and an "as preserved" gleam. Many serious modellers will have no need of the presentation case and will reach for the dullcoate to tone it down.  Thus, I would have vastly preferred the model to have been less glossy in a card-board box and closer to the standard Oxford Dean Goods in price, but no doubt the collectors will like it.

We should not mind paying a little more in order to support the preservation effort and I wish this one luck.

I imagine it will appear in plain Oxford box in ordinary finish in the not too distant future. This one not for me though.