National Collection in Miniature Dean Goods Class No 2516

LocomotionatShildon

Nice but aside from the Gloss livery why would you pay more from the mainstream release?

Discounting the gloss and the presentation box, I like to be supporting Thursday NRM. If they get a bit more out of it than if I brought a cheaper version from another source to get something I’d like anyway, then great.

David

Well if you buy the gloss one, you can have it now! You'll also recall there was a lot of uncertainty as to what shape the Plain Oxford one would take, the NRM version was shown to have the cab corrected. We've since found (from the release of the BR black one) that the standard models will also now feature the corrected tooling, but I opted to order the NRM one rather than wait and see what became of the normal ones. 

• RMweb Gold

I got my Dean Goods from Locomotion just over two weeks ago but due to work commitments I've only just got around to installing a decoder and I've hit a nasty problem.

One of the tender body retaining screws has been stripped so completely that I can't get any purchase on it. Thus I can't fit the DCC decoder and the loco is completely non-functional on my DCC-only setup.

post-32492-0-18521500-1518898550_thumb.jpg

Something to be aware of.

I'll let you know what Locomotion say.

Edit: I've also just noticed that the pickups for the rear tender wheels are not making contact with the wheels - they are parallel to the chassis, almost as if someone forgot to adjust them during manufacture.

Edited by Harlequin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still no response from Locomotion. I'm going to have to really pester them next week. I don't want to start cutting a slot in the head or drilling it out. Aside from the likelihood of causing other damage in such a confined space, I shouldn't have to do this on a brand new model!

I wonder if my model is a "lemon" because I notice that the water scoop mechanism has also not been fitted properly and I mentioned before the pickups don't make contact with the rear wheels.

post-32492-0-68544700-1520158405_thumb.jpg

post-32492-0-43750300-1520158506_thumb.jpg

post-32492-0-22598500-1520158553_thumb.jpg

Still no response from Locomotion. I'm going to have to really pester them next week. I don't want to start cutting a slot in the head or drilling it out. Aside from the likelihood of causing other damage in such a confined space, I shouldn't have to do this on a brand new model!

I wonder if my model is a "lemon" because I notice that the water scoop mechanism has also not been fitted properly and I mentioned before the pickups don't make contact with the rear wheels.

attachicon.gifSAM_3788.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_3784.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_3785.JPG

Mine had the same issue with the pickups and the screw heads also got wrecked, not helped by the fact that the leading wheels prevent the driver making straight contact with the screw, so I took the wheels out and managed to extract the rounded screws with a flat screwdriver. It looks like they've  used some threadlock or glue on the screw threads. 

These issues with the screw heads - are people using the correct type of screwdriver? There's crosspoint screws and there's crosspoint screws, with screwdrivers to match. Typical example: early Japanese motorcycles used JIS crosspoint screws on many parts (and some are still used today), and everybody mashed up the heads with either a Philips or Pozidriv screwdriver, then blamed the screws as being rubbish! (Bizarrely, a JIS screwdriver fits a Philips perfectly.).

• 2 weeks later...

In a wooden collectors case, as a collector why would you want sound?

I guess it just depends on how you define a 'Collector'?

Collecting models doesn't necessarily mean they are not for running...it could just be collecting a specific set or type of model - maybe even just collecting sound specials, who knows?!  I take your point though...

I quite like the gloss look and with sound, should make quite a decent model (even if in a wooden box...)  :locomotive:

Not long to wait now...  :)

Cheers,

Ixion.

Edited by 97403_Ixion

In a wooden collectors case, as a collector why would you want sound?

My layout has been in storage over the past few years due to personal circumstances, an interstate move and work needed to reestablish.  That hasn't stopped me collecting rolling stock.  I now have a bigger collection than I need to operate, and one that extends beyond the theme of the layout.  So I am both collector and modeller.  I am happy with that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These issues with the screw heads - are people using the correct type of screwdriver? There's crosspoint screws and there's crosspoint screws, with screwdrivers to match. Typical example: early Japanese motorcycles used JIS crosspoint screws on many parts (and some are still used today), and everybody mashed up the heads with either a Philips or Pozidriv screwdriver, then blamed the screws as being rubbish! (Bizarrely, a JIS screwdriver fits a Philips perfectly.).

I'll just repeat that the loco was supplied with the stripped screwhead in my case.

So if the wrong bit is being used it's at the factory but I suspect it's more a case of overzealous use of a power tool during assembly.

BTW: I'm still waiting for Locomotion to replace my Dean Goods. They picked up the original but haven't told me exactly what they are going to do about it yet. So I'm currently out of pocket and getting slightly anxious...

I take Harlequin’s point that his model was supplied with a stripped screw head.

Nevertheless, your point about screw heads is a good one. I had quite a struggle shifting some of the screws on my Hornby 800 Class using cross-headed drivers I have had for years. More in desperation than hope, I tried a Rolson one with a long shaft, which I had bought because my other drivers hadn’t shafts long enough to reach the heads on Bachmann’s Class 70. It shifted them easily. The packaging of neither set of drivers hints at what variant of crosspoint they are.

I take Harlequin’s point that his model was supplied with a stripped screw head.

Nevertheless, your point about screw heads is a good one. I had quite a struggle shifting some of the screws on my Hornby 800 Class using cross-headed drivers I have had for years. More in desperation than hope, I tried a Rolson one with a long shaft, which I had bought because my other drivers hadn’t shafts long enough to reach the heads on Bachmann’s Class 70. It shifted them easily. The packaging of neither set of drivers hints at what variant of crosspoint they are.

Wen ah were a lad all't scews 'ad proper slots in - an ev'ry b**gger know 'ow ter use a proper screwdriver .............. none o' this namby-pamby cross'e'd rubbish where yer got ter 'ave right whatsit ter stick in't th'ole !

Hi all,

Sound version of Locomotion's Dean Goods due in stock next week (19/3/2018), so it seems...

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/national-collection-in-miniature/oxfordnrm-exclusive-gwr-dean-goods-with-sound.htm

Cheers,

Ixion

So it says on the Web site.  I have one on order but have heard nothing. I'm not even sure if Locomotion is still with us - updates are out of date and nothing seems to change........

So it says on the Web site.  I have one on order but have heard nothing. I'm not even sure if Locomotion is still with us - updates are out of date and nothing seems to change........

Hi KymN,

They definitely still exist - I had an e-mail last week saying that dispatch would begin from 3 April, i.e. this coming week, after the Easter Bank Holiday.

Admittedly, prior to that I had heard nothing really since ordering one, so I was beginning to wonder too!

The website also says 'PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE ATTENDING YORK MODEL RAILWAY SHOW FROM FRIDAY 30/3/18 UNTIL MONDAY 2/4/18. SO ALL QUERIES AND ORDERS WILL BE PROCESSED FROM 3/4/18.', so they were probably busy preparing for that too.

Fingers crossed, the models will start dispatching this week by the sound of it and hopefully we'll both get one soon...

Cheers,

Ixion.

They definitely still exist - I had an e-mail last week saying that dispatch would begin from 3 April,

Thanks Ixion.

My tongue was in my cheek when I queried their ongoing existence! And I subsequently got the email too.  I'm looking forward to getting mine, albeit with some trepidation given the issues that have been reported here. 

Cheers,

Kym.

• Like 1

Thanks Ixion.

My tongue was in my cheek when I queried their ongoing existence! And I subsequently got the email too.  I'm looking forward to getting mine, albeit with some trepidation given the issues that have been reported here. 

Cheers,

Kym.

Hi KymN,

Just to say mine came yesterday - it comes in a nice, solid wooden-effect box inside a NCiM blue sleeve.  Be slightly careful though as the box's lid does not latch down.

Not yet run it but one minor issue - a small, ~2mm diameter, buffer-like part was loose in the box... should be simple enough to locate where it came from though.

It comes with a 4-page paper 'Operation & Maintenance' leaflet, an 8-page historical brochure and a Limited Edition Certificate.

Lovely little model and not over-glossy... just right, I'd say.

Hope yours arrives soon!

Cheers,

Ixion.

• 4 weeks later...

For those of us still waiting on the sound fitted Dean Goods, I had an email from Stuart at Locomotion to say that mine ( and presumably others') had not been despatched.  Each individual locomotive is being tested before being sent. He suggested that mine (ordered and paid in full March 2017) should be sent by the end of next week.