National Collection in Miniature Dean Goods Class No 2516

LocomotionatShildon

Thanks to both Andy and Brian. The price for the model is £125, which does seem something of a breakthrough for a limited edition* such as this. Despite all the sarcastic comments (guilty, m’lord, and sincerely sorry) it does sound as if Oxford is trying very hard.

For what it’s worth, I like the matt smokebox but the white handrails not so much. It is a most peculiar photographic effect but the first picture makes the bottom of the firebox still look too angled whereas the second picture makes it look as if it has the right curvature.

The explanation of the superfluous rivets is enlightening and, speaking for myself, I’d be happy to accept them. No doubt Oxford will study laser scans more carefully in future!

*Brian states 500; the website 350.

Thanks to both Andy and Brian. The price for the model is £125, which does seem something of a breakthrough for a limited edition* such as this. Despite all the sarcastic comments (guilty, m’lord, and sincerely sorry) it does sound as if Oxford is trying very hard.

For what it’s worth, I like the matt smokebox but the white handrails not so much. It is a most peculiar photographic effect but the first picture makes the bottom of the firebox still look too angled whereas the second picture makes it look as if it has the right curvature.

The explanation of the superfluous rivets is enlightening and, speaking for myself, I’d be happy to accept them. No doubt Oxford will study laser scans more carefully in future!

*Brian states 500; the website 350.

350 DCC Ready and 150 DCC Sound

re: handrails they are silver to get the effect of polished steel, which you can see on the loco yard pictures on the web of the loco in steam museum not white as mentioned, just the way the loco has been photographed.

regards

Stuart

Edited by LocomotionatShildon

• RMweb Gold

Back to skule!

Moleswoth lives ! This is a handsome beast,enhanced by Brian's by now famous Locomotion gloss.It is also an incredible bargain.Worth emphasising Brian's statement of Locomotion's enhanced financial committment to faithfully present this model in as appropriate a condition as possible. Far too tempting to resist...well...it is for me.A positive outcome for all,I think.

• Like 3

I would respectfully ask this question.

Why would someone buy the Locomotion model accepting of course that rule no 1 always applies ?

They have corrected virtually none of the major errors. Although the cab cutout is slightly better the number plate position is now worse than shown on the earlier sample.   

Someone needs to ask Locomotion for the photograph of 2516 in the late 20's or early 30's which shows 2516 looking like their latest sample. Indeed it would be interesting to see a photo of 2516 in that livery and with a 2500 gallon tender at any time before it went into Swindon. 

Clearly all the major errors are still there plus various others even if the locomotive is supposed to portray the preserved example in Swindon.

2516 never looked like that in service. Neither in it's last few years on BR nor in the period the livery represents did the loco look like this model. 

Even if they corrected all the detail errors and made the loco look exactly like it does in the Museum it still never ran like that although renumbering might give a few possible options I suppose.

Perhaps if the model looked exactly like it does in the museum it would look well in a cabinet as a model of a preserved loco but there are just to many errors.

Sorry but to me it looks like an overpriced Railroad model with a glossy coat.

Why would someone buy the Locomotion model

Maybe some people like to support Locomotion and other organisations who are prepared to take a financial risk.

Maybe some people are not so concerned by minor discrepancies.

Maybe some people are thankful someone has produced the small tender for the first time in rtr.

Maybe some people will renumber it to an engine of their choice that better matches the models characteristics.

Maybe some people accept this engine is excellent value for money compared to paying £500 + price of kit and parts to reach the criteria that others have such expectation of in mass manufacturing.

Maybe some people actually want to run it when such 'issues' are not so apparent, rather than just looking at the model under a magnifying glass

Maybe some people just like it as it is.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Maybe some people like to support Locomotion and other organisations who are prepared to take a financial risk.

Maybe some people are not so concerned by minor discrepancies.

Maybe some people are thankful someone has produced the small tender for the first time in rtr.

Maybe some people will renumber it to an engine of their choice that better matches the models characteristics.

Maybe some people accept this engine is excellent value for money compared to paying £500 + price of kit and parts to reach the criteria that others have such expectation of in mass manufacturing.

Maybe some people actually want to run it when such 'issues' are not so apparent, rather than just looking at the model under a magnifying glass

Maybe some people just like it as it is.

Mike Wiltshire

Is the tender different from the main Oxford release?

Is the tender different from the main Oxford release?

It is the short tender as per the main release but has not been available rtr before.

I am hoping I can get a couple of spares for use with other classes.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

Why would someone buy the Locomotion model accepting of course that rule no 1 always applies ?

They have corrected virtually none of the major errors. Although the cab cutout is slightly better the number plate position is now worse than shown on the earlier sample.   

Someone needs to ask Locomotion for the photograph of 2516 in the late 20's or early 30's which shows 2516 looking like their latest sample. Indeed it would be interesting to see a photo of 2516 in that livery and with a 2500 gallon tender at any time before it went into Swindon. 

Clearly all the major errors are still there plus various others even if the locomotive is supposed to portray the preserved example in Swindon.

2516 never looked like that in service. Neither in it's last few years on BR nor in the period the livery represents did the loco look like this model. 

Even if they corrected all the detail errors and made the loco look exactly like it does in the Museum it still never ran like that although renumbering might give a few possible options I suppose.

Perhaps if the model looked exactly like it does in the museum it would look well in a cabinet as a model of a preserved loco but there are just to many errors.

What are all these "major errors" of which you speak? You only mention one specifically (the numberplate). Could you give details of the others?

Locomotion have stated that the model is intended to represent the loco as it was in the late 20's/early 30's. I presume you have some photograph or other source material that enables you to make the statement that the model deviates from the condition the prototype was in during this period. Please can you either post a copy or let us know where this is to be found?

Thanks

Adrian

• Like 3

When I see different typefaces and font sizes within a post I always think someone has been copy and pasting between Microsft programmes (due to the way it preserves formatting) - I do wonder if you are relaying messages on behalf of ABS given some of the tells.

If that is the case, please don't bother.

When I see different typefaces and font sizes within a post I always think someone has been copy and pasting between Microsft programmes (due to the way it preserves formatting) - I do wonder if you are relaying messages on behalf of ABS given some of the tells.

If that is the case, please don't bother.

Sorry if some of the typefaces & forts are not correct. The error is totally down to me.

I already had written some of the piece in a word document & then simply pasted it into my RMweb reply.

I will take more care in future.

Pardon me for asking but what is ABS ?

Pardon me for asking but what is ABS ?

There are so, so many possible answers to that question; most unfit for public consumption.

Apart from that he's the person you regularly exchange posts with on modelrailforum

• Like 1

There are so, so many possible answers to that question; most unfit for public consumption.

Apart from that he's the person you regularly exchange posts with on modelrailforum

I exchange posts with many people on Modelrailforum as I do here but I still don't know who you're talking about ?

At least now we've established that its a him ?

Will someone please tell me who ABS is apart from the manufacturer of white metal kits ?

What are all these "major errors" of which you speak? You only mention one specifically (the numberplate). Could you give details of the others?

Locomotion have stated that the model is intended to represent the loco as it was in the late 20's/early 30's. I presume you have some photograph or other source material that enables you to make the statement that the model deviates from the condition the prototype was in during this period. Please can you either post a copy or let us know where this is to be found?

Thanks

Adrian

Hi Adrian.
I provided a rather large list on this thread here
Post no 22.
Even though the list refers to 2309 because that's what was being discussed all the faults marked with the prefix F also apply to the Locomotion model  as they will to any other model apart from the gap under the roof to the cutout.
Edwardian also posted a list of other faults in the same thread.
There are pictures of 2516 before and after 1934 on the internet and these have already been posted on the RMweb Dean Goods thread somewhere if Photobucket hasn't rubbed them out.

If you need further reading I can recommend  William Dean The Greatest of Them All by Jeremy Clements ISBN 978-1-9064 19-92-9
This is available on the net.
​I obtained my copy on a certain auction site for a very reasonable price.

Sorry if the formatting of this post is incorrect as I'm working from a Minix NGC-1 mini pc at the moment which is used as a media server.
My main Pc which contains nearly all of my railway stuff is in getting repaired (I can't boot into Windows) & I have no Office software on this one. I am restricted to Wordpad on this pc.

Edit:
F. Position of handrail is too high covering washout plugs.
Sorry I should have mentioned that this fault doesn't apply to the Locomotion model.
The washout plugs are now no longer hidden by the handrails.

Edited by amdaley

Guest spet0114

Perhaps he doesn't realise it's supposed to show it as preserved? So I don't understand his request for a photo of 2516 in service days in the 20's & 30's.

Read post 91 of this thread.

• RMweb Premium

Read post 91 of this thread.

Having read that post, the final sentence reads "which the locomotive in Steam was preserved to try to represent when it was withdrawn and restored"

So in essence the loco is as preserved, but attempting to replicate the period 28-34.