Which transfers are best

Philipjohn52

No experience of Fox transfers, I mainly use Modelmasters and have had no problems with them. I also use HMRS, but on the last sheet of BR transfers I bought the numbers were 'out of focus' i.e. not sharp, I also find their transfers are quite thick.

Does anyone know who does a good BR crest, I find neither Modelmasters nor HMRS are particularly well defined on the crown.

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Do Fox transfers still fragment when they come off the backing paper? This was particularly prevalent with both BR steam numbers and BR crests. Yellow cabside stripes were another product almost guaranteed to break up. 

I stopped buying them as a result of this. Have things got any better? 

No experience of Fox transfers, I mainly use Modelmasters and have had no problems with them. I also use HMRS, but on the last sheet of BR transfers I bought the numbers were 'out of focus' i.e. not sharp, I also find their transfers are quite thick.

Does anyone know who does a good BR crest, I find neither Modelmasters nor HMRS are particularly well defined on the crown.

Jeremy

Ahem !!

Sheet BL129 at http://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

I've only used Fox and Modelmaster since Pressfix and Methfix disappeared over the horizon many moons ago..

Of the two I prefer Fox.

Yes you do occasionally have a crest disintegrate when sliding off the backing paper but I feel it is the price for not having a great amount of gum around the edge of the transfer that sometimes is difficult to disguise - especially if the loco is to remain clean.

I would add that the whole thing is subjective, and what works and looks right for one will often just not play for others or visually offend them.....

Hope this helps

Les

I am looking for some help in deciding which transfer sets would be best to rename and renumber several Hornby Britannia's. Choices appear to be between Fox transfers and Modelmasters, and I would appreciate any views from fellow modellers.

Thanks in advance.

Philip

Railtec Transfers are also worth considering

www.railtec-models.com

Whilst there is no specific pack for a Britannia, there are some packs which may suit. The packs are compact and therefore cost effective as I know that some folks prefer not to spend more on larger packs when they may only need a small part. These packs are all waterslide and now spot printed on new technology, so no carrier/halo outside of the main area. As for detail in the crown etc, well put it this way: I don't let a product out of the door unless I'd be happy to receive it, and Pete Waterman uses them!

4mm-4100: Steam numbering (white) - 4"/5" smokebox, 8"/10" numbers
http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1199

4mm-4101: Steam numbering (cream) - 4"/5" smokebox, 8"/10" numbers
http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1200

4mm-4300: BR early crest lion & wheel: L&R facing, large
http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2126

4mm-4400: BR late crest ferret & dartboard
http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1678

All above packs are currently from £2.90 - £4.90 so you should be able to pick just the bit(s) which are needed. Some are temporarily out of stock after the carnage of Warley, but will be back shortly.

• RMweb Premium

"since Pressfix and Methfix disappeared over the horizon many moons ago"

Not quite sure what was meant by that as they have been available ever since they were bought from PC Models by the HMRS.

In fact they were on sale at Warley on the HMRS stand (and possibly other stands as well).

That said, there have been problems recently getting sheets reprinted, as the process they use is not common with very few potential suppliers, and some sheets are currently out of print, but that is a few out of a very large number.

The range has also been increased since the HMRS took it over.

I have to declare an interest as an Officer of the HMRS.

Jonathan

Been using them for years. No fragmentation. I keep them in closed plastic bags to prevent them from drying out.

C,-w

Do Fox transfers still fragment when they come off the backing paper? This was particularly prevalent with both BR steam numbers and BR crests. Yellow cabside stripes were another product almost guaranteed to break up.

I stopped buying them as a result of this. Have things got any better?

Not quite sure what was meant by that as they have been available ever since they were bought from PC Models by the HMRS.

In fact they were on sale at Warley on the HMRS stand (and possibly other stands as well).

That said, there have been problems recently getting sheets reprinted, as the process they use is not common with very few potential suppliers, and some sheets are currently out of print, but that is a few out of a very large number.

Jonathan

Sadly while I much prefer HMRS pressfix  sheets covering the LNER , the quality is nothing as good as when they were printed by PC Models.

I recently yet again had a new sheet of LNER lining which was badly out of register/alignment, I had to buy two sheets to actually obtain a whole correct sheet of correct lining. One sheet the shapes were out and on the other the lines.

The Pressfix LNER Gold Lettering is also just as a bad on alignment on sheets, I have tried to use. Usually one part of a sheet is worse for alignment than the rest. 

I have reported this to the HMRS in the past but nothing seems to improve. 

Fox LNER lining for LNER A3's, I tried to use their shaped Red Tender lining , on placing in water the lining rolled into a ball and was useless.  Remainder of the sheet was printed with a far too wide White lining compared to the HMRS version.

Sadly while I much prefer HMRS pressfix  sheets covering the LNER , the quality is nothing as good as when they were printed by PC Models.

I recently yet again had a new sheet of LNER lining which was badly out of register/alignment, I had to buy two sheets to actually obtain a whole correct sheet of correct lining. One sheet the shapes were out and on the other the lines.

The Pressfix LNER Gold Lettering is also just as a bad on alignment on sheets, I have tried to use. Usually one part of a sheet is worse for alignment than the rest. 

I have reported this to the HMRS in the past but nothing seems to improve. 

Fox LNER lining for LNER A3's, I tried to use their shaped Red Tender lining , on placing in water the lining rolled into a ball and was useless.  Remainder of the sheet was printed with a far too wide White lining compared to the HMRS version.

Placing waterslide transfers IN water dates back to the original Airfix kits of the 1960s.

Place the cut-out transfer onto the model dry, just offset from it's final position. Apply a LITTLE water with a paintbrush; wait; then slide off into the final position.

This is especially important with lining transfers.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

• RMweb Premium

Thanks mickliner. I will take this up with Brian. As I said, it is getting very difficult to get the sheets printed. The original artwork has not changed, so it must be the quality of the printing.

But if you get a sheet that is faulty send it back and ask for your money back.

Jonathan

Jonathan

I have to say, I have recently started using the HMRS Presfix transfers.

I had assumed, given the info on the website, that ordering from HMRS would be a slow process, but I went to the well head as no retailer seem to carry the full range and I could not find everything I wanted.

In fact, the service was very quick and efficient.  The HMRS web-site also illustrates the contents of the sheets very well.  I cannot see that I would do other than order directly from the society in future.  It is a great range of transfers and I am grateful that HMRS has maintained it.

I have been trying to line up letters from a Presfix alphabet sheet and I have found that I do need to soak the backing paper and remove it completely before anything more than light contact is made with the surface of the model, otherwise I cannot see to line them up properly.  It is simply a matter of getting used to the medium, like everything else. 

It has the advantage of no carrier film, so I do not need to gloss varnish a model first, as I would with waterslide, though I should say that I am perfectly happy working with waterslide, they just need different treatment.

Placing waterslide transfers IN water dates back to the original Airfix kits of the 1960s.

Place the cut-out transfer onto the model dry, just offset from it's final position. Apply a LITTLE water with a paintbrush; wait; then slide off into the final position.

This is especially important with lining transfers.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

John

I have never heard of that method before. I will experiment in due course, thanks.

Fox however do not suggest that method. This sheet has always come with all the Fox sheets I have bought recently.

post-7186-0-99339600-1480525077.jpg

Link to their instructions

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/user-guides

I have to say, I have recently started using the HMRS Presfix transfers.

I had assumed, given the info on the website, that ordering from HMRS would be a slow process, but I went to the well head as no retailer seem to carry the full range and I could not find everything I wanted.

In fact, the service was very quick and efficient.  The HMRS web-site also illustrates the contents of the sheets very well.  I cannot see that I would do other than order directly from the society in future.  It is a great range of transfers and I am grateful that HMRS has maintained it.

I have been trying to line up letters from a Presfix alphabet sheet and I have found that I do need to soak the backing paper and remove it completely before anything more than light contact is made with the surface of the model, otherwise I cannot see to line them up properly.  It is simply a matter of getting used to the medium, like everything else. 

It has the advantage of no carrier film, so I do not need to gloss varnish a model first, as I would with waterslide, though I should say that I am perfectly happy working with waterslide, they just need different treatment.

I am also a great fan of HMRS and I always use them as a first choice , as already said I just wish they could sort out the alignment problems on some multi colour/layer decals.

Re lining up , I suggest you  to use a metal ruler to line them up, you should be able to see throughout the backing paper before wetting, I suggest identify a matching colour area   on each number/letter as a guide.

Once wetted they will still move slightly (I use a wooden cocktail stick) , they will however tear if treated even slightly roughly.

• RMweb Premium

John

I have never heard of that method before. I will experiment in due course, thanks.

Fox however do not suggest that method. This sheet has always come with all the Fox sheets I have bought recently.

attachicon.gifIMG_1596.JPG

Link to their instructions

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/user-guides

Hi

I've always used the method John mentions for all transfers including Fox. The trouble with floating them in a bowl of water is that the glue tends to float off into the water.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I have been having real problems with Fox transfers for the red lines for the door of a GWR gunpowder van. When floated in water they tend to curl, so I too started putting them on the wagon side and soaking them there. But getting them straight and correctly placed is a nightmare as they are quite long and flexible. I managed to do it, but before I got round to varnishing them they started to come away. Fortunately, I have only one wagon to do and plenty of spares. The next stage is to paint the doors with gloss varnish first and try again.

However, I have had no trouble with other Fox transfers so I think it is just the size and shape which cause the problem.

I shall shortly be trying some of the new Camkits/WRRC transfers for Cambrian Railway wagons. These are produced by Fox, so should be the same to use as others from the company. The feathers will be the real test.

Jonathan

Archived