Cheap R/C lorry

Twright

At risk of being kicked off this section, I though I would tell you about my recent project, a Karrier Bantam in 4mm scale. Having been inspired by all the topics on here, I thought I would give it a try.

I started with the Base toys model of the BR van:

post-19880-0-93112700-1480092905_thumb.jpg

And then bought a cheap R/C car:

post-19880-0-44437500-1480092797_thumb.jpg

As I'm at university the amount of tools I have is limited, all of the work was done using a penknife so some of it is a bit rough. I replaced the wheels on the car with the wheels from the Bantam, and bashed the body around a bit to shorten the wheelbase (Its still too short but it is less noticeable now) and give space for the cars mechanism. I added tabs onto the Bantam to use the cars fixing points and built up bits of the chassis to hide the new chassis.

post-19880-0-11180500-1480092798_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-03963100-1480092799_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-07320800-1480092323_thumb.jpg

This is the result. It rides a bit high and is still too fast so when I get a chance I'll wire in a resistor to the motor but this will wait for a while and I can cope with it. It has a decent length of charge and an alright range but has the benefit of including charging, directional lights (although I haven't fitted the rear lights back on yet) and a power switch all for a total of around £13 (depending on how you source the car and body). I hope to convert a few more cars using these, perhaps when I'm home changing the wheelbase as well.

post-19880-0-69665200-1480092318_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-59966400-1480092319_thumb.jpg

The bloom isn't as noticeable in real life but I'll try and get rid of it.

post-19880-0-24898000-1480092321_thumb.jpg

I bought a cheap car from China to experiment with, but it turned out to have the transmitter and receiver set to different frequencies. The seller decided to give me a full refund, so now I've got a useless car and transmitter, and gave up on the idea for now!

I must look out for one of those cars. It looks like it might be possible to replace all the electronics with some Arduino stuff and maybe make it computer controlled.

...R

If you want more pictures of the chassis let me know. As they come they are the wrong scale and have different sized wheels but this is easy to replace.

That looks good Tom. Very impressive with your limited tools!

I started off in radio control with a car like that, we bought a pair and gave one to our grandson ( about four at the time I think) and I started to fiddle with the other. It gave me the idea to put radio control into other things and I have been doing trains ever since.

I had not thought of using it in a lorry though. It's a very neat idea, and nicely done.

Frank

That looks good Tom. Very impressive with your limited tools!

I started off in radio control with a car like that, we bought a pair and gave one to our grandson ( about four at the time I think) and I started to fiddle with the other. It gave me the idea to put radio control into other things and I have been doing trains ever since.

I had not thought of using it in a lorry though. It's a very neat idea, and nicely done.

Frank

Thank you very much, when I'm home I may look at doing another one or perhaps like you experimenting with R/C trains.

What a great idea Tom! I'm definitely putting one on my christmas list.

Do you have a link to the same kind of car? I'm struggling to find one.

Thanks. This is similar to mine, they all have different bodies but the chassis looks identical. If you look around ('micro rc car' searched in ebay will give these) then there are some cheaper and some that arrive sooner, its up to you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coke-Can-Mini-Speed-RC-Radio-Remote-Control-Micro-Racing-Car-Toy-Gift-New-BH-/351501968172?hash=item51d726632c:g:rgUAAOSwf-VWXBGD

Thanks. This is similar to mine, they all have different bodies but the chassis looks identical. If you look around ('micro rc car' searched in ebay will give these) then there are some cheaper and some that arrive sooner, its up to you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coke-Can-Mini-Speed-RC-Radio-Remote-Control-Micro-Racing-Car-Toy-Gift-New-BH-/351501968172?hash=item51d726632c:g:rgUAAOSwf-VWXBGD

That's what I bought (from a different supplier), that arrived with car and transmitter on different frequencies, neither of which are the same as in this advert! Maybe I should try again.

• 4 months later...

This looks like a good way of doing it! I started making one about 6 months ago (on and off) with cheap R/C bits but had to buy the biggest lorry I could to fit the components in. Fitting the servos was a bit of a faff as well, so I might have to try the donor chassis method. The base toys ones are a good starting point as the plastic bodies are nice and easy to modify and they're usually just held together with a couple of screws. 

I'm starting to think I need a whole fleet of these now... Who needs a model railway when you could have a model roadway?

When you say cheap, that looks a lot more expensive that a Coke Can Car! Could we have some more details of the components, and an idea of the cost?

Ok, guilty as charged... It's more expensive than the coke can cars, but it's also a lot cheaper than kits like this that are available to convert your models  :O Cheapness is very much a relative term in the R/C world!

Discounting the transmitter and receiver, which are shared across all my r/c projects, the parts list is (with rough costs):

Battery £4

2x servo £4 each

Voltage regulator £0.20 (I had these lying around from other projects)

KKPMO steering kit £5 

Base Toys Lorry £7.99

Various 'scrap' parts from the bits box, including ballast, aluminium sheet, bolts, a couple of plastic gears and wire.

So about £25.

Given that a Faller conversion chassis is 'only' £81 from Gaugemaster that doesn't look so bad? 

The receiver and transmitter cost £35 (a couple of years ago), but the one I have is way more complex than necessary for this, you could find something suitable easily enough for half that.

I'm seriously considering using Deltang for my O gauge layout, but would like to experiment with something lower cost for a few vehicles.

I am working on an Arduino based BPR/C system that will fit in an 00 Gauge tank loco (and obviously easily fit in O gauge). The parts that are equivalent to a Deltang (wireless, microcontroller and motor driver) cost about £8. The total is physically a lot bigger than the Deltang devices - I used some of the Deltang units for N Gauge BPR/C. And of course there is more soldering and some programming to do.

...R

That's very appealing Robin, but it's knowing how to get started. I'd need a complete idiots guide to every tiny step, and the source of every component! My last bit of dabbling in electronics was building an open real tape deck using Mullard circuit diagrams about 43 years ago. I never did get it to work properly, as I was trying to set it up using an oscilloscope at school, but left before I got it right!

I'm happy to help - but not to the extent of "every tiny step". The basic wireless code is in this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

...R

Thanks. It looks like the first step is to learn about Arduino. That should keep me occupied for some time! Maybe Deltang is a better use of what's left of my life :).

Seriously though, it may well be worth spending the time learning about it, as it has lots of potential other than for RC.

Archived