Hornby embargoed model....

modelpara

I have to say this announcement was positive in stepping forward acknowledge the previous mistakes ie catalogue, samples to magazines etc. takes the bull by the horns accepted the slap in the face from the modellers for the last 12 to 18 months. Sees that to change the future is driven by the same people who will put cash in the registers buy the new models. Hornby are trying to make amends to the relationship and seeing that the sales can com back by listening to the market.

This positive response I hope will change the way the business sees us the modeller as the market that they have to produce products for. The toy market is only 20% of what I read today ( Hornby mag interview with the CEO) with the other 80% made up of the modeller.

So gold star award to Hornby. Keep the announcements coming but also listen to the market!

• RMweb Gold

Well on closer look the Tender isn't a new tooling, the infamous ledge is still there..

I didn't notice that. I might hold on to mine. I hope it's a mock up. And they don't leave the tender base still like that. It would be such a shame

Certainly would farren, especially as the tender body itself looks fantastic, coal pusher, i presume a fire iron tunnel. We need to see some more pics really of the body but definitely new bogie, front end cut outs near cylinders, new front cylinder cover/side steps. Smoke deflectors are the old ones, but that's fine, the comet replacements can't be bettered really.

Overall I'm very happy, would just like that ledge gone eventually! Ah well we are modellers after all

In the Engine Shed blog the responses for "Which of our 2017 announcements is your favourite" are:

Princess Coronation Class:    44%

Hitachi Class 800/0                 25%

Class 87                                 16%

Some misguided souls (14%) wanted all of them!

I know that adds up to 99%  but there's probably been some enthusiastic rounding going on...

46256, yup, up for that. Definitely. Wow.

Also:

Impressed by Hornby's timely e-mail linking to their announcements web page.

Perhaps this thread should be "Hornby Duchess" or similar? It's going to run and run...

Also the separately available  TTS sound chips for £40 look worth an experiment, especially with the way "full fat" sound chips are increasing in price...

Nice, the Dutchess AND an 87.  Hornby might finally be getting some of Wombat's scheckels in the near future after all.

I just hope the BR blue 87 (with cross arm pantograph at last...) doesn't have the TDMs on the front, most of the 87s which ran with both TDM and normal jumper boxes ran like that for just a few years (1986-7 untli about 1990) but whatever, it's great news.  For once.

I just hope the BR blue 87 (with cross arm pantograph at last...) doesn't have the TDMs on the front, most of the 87s which ran with both TDM and normal jumper boxes ran like that for just a few years (1986-7 untli about 1990) but whatever, it's great news.  For once.

From the look of this CAD drawings, your prayers (and mine) have been answered.  Only problem so far seen has been picked up by Dagworth, the radio aerial on the roof.

post-7003-0-92025200-1480165514_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Certainly would farren, especially as the tender body itself looks fantastic, coal pusher, i presume a fire iron tunnel. We need to see some more pics really of the body but definitely new bogie, front end cut outs near cylinders, new front cylinder cover/side steps. Smoke deflectors are the old ones, but that's fine, the comet replacements can't be bettered really.

Overall I'm very happy, would just like that ledge gone eventually! Ah well we are modellers after all

Specifically stated in the presentation that this model is 100% new - the display model may be finished with parts of the current model. This is the most excited I have been about a new model in years. I'm going to preorder 2 and start saving now!

Specifically stated in the presentation that this model is 100% new - the display model may be finished with parts of the current model. This is the most excited I have been about a new model in years. I'm going to preorder 2 and start saving now!

I've no doubt the tender is 100% completely new, the roller bearing axle boxes show that, but the ledge is still there.

Deflectors are the old ones, yes it's an early prototype, but currently they are the old ones.

Believe me, I'm over the moon with this, it was such a shame Sir William never was preserved, looking forward to having Sir William and Salford in due course.

Just a quick question, are there only 24 "new" for 2017 releases? No new liveries etc?

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick question, are there only 24 "new" for 2017 releases? No new liveries etc?

Just the loco annoncements today. Full catalogue released Jan 10th and available as a bundle with Hornby Mag for £9.99 as well as on its own for £7.99. Big tie up with Hornby may as well - no doubt discussed elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

3D hand finished prototype 800 on their stand including the Limited Edition Hitachi livery and GWR.

Wow. And that's after seeing the Pecketts in the flesh. Just wow.

And TTS as separate item, £40.

Safe to say Hornby's wilderness years are over.

Just the loco annoncements today. Full catalogue released Jan 10th and available as a bundle with Hornby Mag for £9.99 as well as on its own for £7.99. Big tie up with Hornby may as well - no doubt discussed elsewhere.

Hornby mag used to do a supplement with the January issue, containing all the new releases.  It didn't appear in 2016, perhaps it will be back for 2017?

Archived