Hornby embargoed model....

modelpara

• RMweb Premium

I was corrected on that in my chat on the Hornby stand.Not "new tooling" but a completely new model.Includes the two Ivatt built examples btw.

OK, but is it possible to confirm the trailing bogie design. I do appreciate the difference between new tool and new model. My new tool concept is a hang-over from plastic kit modelling, when  there is a further release of a model within a class, and the new model has been tooled from anew, hence new tool.

It wouldn't surprise me if this Duchess surpasses the Hattons King for fidelity & detail just to show Hornby can still pull out all the stops when it chooses to. I think there is a lot to be said for producing locos that folk would buy just for display......Folk who dont model in 4mm for instance...  :lol:

Only five of the class carried pre-war conventional crimson lake livery and so while 'Duchess of Athol' was one of them, I am mystified as to what Hornby means by LMS 4-6-2 'Duchess of Atholl' Princess Coronation Class (Modified). Modified into or from what?  It never carried streamlined casing or utility style front footplating and the only mods as far as I can detect were a ex.streamlined Tender in 1945, double chimney followed by smoke deflectors. 

As The Duchess was built with a single chimney and modified to a double with smoke deflectors in June 1940, I would assume it will be in post 1940 livery. 

IEP is a brave move by Hornby I reckon. New 87 is obviously going to please those who like OHLE  stuff. Personally would have preferred more 3rd rail to follow from the BIL/HAL. But that it is a bold and positive move by them is enough for me really, was really needed.

I did wonder why there was a sudden outbreak of enthusiasm for one of Canada's less well known musicians.

That's just the way it is...

The retooled Duchess is a pleasant surprise - especially with the Ivatt modifications for 46256/7

• RMweb Gold

IEP is a no brainer. It's going to be the premier unit all over the network in several liveries. Its the HST of the day. It's an absolute must for Hornby

There is another unit that's all over a few franchises on the network in a lot of liveries, it will last for a couple of dozen years or more, and it would be nice to have that too. I am, of course, referring to the Electrostar.

Well, I for once am extremely pleased by the Hornby plans after several years of increasing frustration with the company's announcements.  The 87 is most welcome, as is the Duchess, and I can even welcome the Class 800 which won't be darkening my tracks but is an astonishing level of commitment by a company who was on the brink financially not long back, especially to produce a full 5 car set at north of £350.  I do wonder if a cheaper "Railroad" version will be produced eventually for the trainset market, it's exactly the kind of train that should be targeted at junior modellers.

It's probably the first time in five or so years I've actually been interested in a Hornby announcement and looking forward to their headline acts.  I suspect it might not be the last announcement and I can't help thinking that sometime in 2017 another loco with a coathanger might be announced. 

How many of the class were built non-streamlined? I'd also wonder if the new tooling accommodates the semi (as the old one did) otherwise all BR blue and most early crest locos are off the table

David

46230-46234 and 46249-46257 (BR numbers) were built non-streamlined. By 'semi', I presume you mean 'sloped-top smokebox' - the whole class were 'Semis'.  :good:   

• RMweb Gold

WELL DONE Hornby, for keeping the momentum of new releases going in uncertain times.

The only model announced at Warley that will tempt me is the ex-GWR Toad brake van but there are other items already in the pipeline for 2017 that fit my interests.

John

• RMweb Premium

That question is best addressed to Hornby and not me.I asked if it was new tooling.That was the response I got.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I didnt word it right lol. The press launch video stated it was completely new tooling so hopefully someone has got their wires crossed somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Just having a look through Hattons website of the new Hornby items. The TTS decoders have the product codes of some of the older catalogues. Perhaps Hornby are running short of Prosuct codes now. Perhaps a discrepancy on Hattons part.

Having a look at the new Hornby sets for next year and R3400 caught my eye. The Golden Arrow Set.

If you look closely at the Pullman cars, you will see that the toilets have square windows.

So possibly new Pullmans for next year as well.

Having a look at the new Hornby sets for next year and R3400 caught my eye. The Golden Arrow Set.

If you look closely at the Pullman cars, you will see that the toilets have square windows.

So possibly new Pullmans for next year as well.

There must be some re-tooling for this set, look at Car ' MINERVA ' it has a guards door at one end.

I don't recall this type in their current Pullman range.

A set of proper ' 1951 ' Festival of Britain ' cars Wouldn't go amiss for the Golden Arrow.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I didnt word it right lol. The press launch video stated it was completely new tooling so hopefully someone has got their wires crossed somewhere.

It means that it's not just new tooling to replicate the existing model but a whole new design which will ,of course, be new tooling.

Archived