Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

For those interested.......Hornby dropped the Railroad Class 87 no. 87027 in Br Blue a while back after initially saying it was on the new release list for 2016 from memory.

The rumour mill churns as its been suggested that manufacturers are well underway with developing new Class 86 and Class 87 models in 00.

Do we think Hornby are one of them and they decided to just not continue flogging the old Limby tooled model or do we think Hornby have just dropped the 87 and are moving onto something else?

Whilst not the most detailed or modern loco I liked the artwork for the blue 87 and would have bought one even just to add to a static diorama along with my Bachmann Class 85.

Oxford Rail could be a contender but its all a bit up in the air......

• RMweb Premium

The Limby 87 may be antiquated but it can be made into a very good model and with the Hornby motor will be a very sweet runner. I was really disappointed when this one was dropped as I was looking forward to it.

The last batch made a few years back had an intercity version and all blue version. They sold slowly and both could be picked up for £40. The last one I saw on sale was at Invicta model railways which was all blue.

I am sure one of these or the Lima one will appear secondhand on a regular basis.

I am not sure I would place it on a diorama next to a Bachmann 85 as the Bachmann has lots of separate detail that the former Lima covers with moulded on detail and it is really noticeable on a static model.

Both the 87 and the 86 aren't in the current catalogue, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are being redeveloped, but rumour is as mentioned that maybe two manufacturers are looking at the pair, and it would make some sense for one to be Hornby. Guess we find out in Deecmber if it is the case or not.

I sincerely hope Hornby are working on a Cl.86 or Cl.87...It will be a shame if two manufacturers end up with the same (Oxford and Hornby). But it's easy to predict the outcome on RMweb in a hypothetical situation wherein both Hornby and Oxford announce either a Cl.86 or a Cl.87...

- Hornby and Oxford announce the same loco (Cl.86/Cl.87)
- RMweb explodes with half accusing Hornby of duplicating, the other half will be overjoyed about it!

- Finally you'll get the ones with sense saying that both have worked on it for long so no one is duplicating anyone

- The models will release, Oxford will probably have a few niggles but that's okay. Hornby's will be marvellous and someone will have something bad to say.

In saying that, it would be nice if Hornby also give the re-engineering treatment to their own Class 87, Class 91 and Class 92, with a brand new chassis (mid-mounted motor like their Limby Class 67), more weight, DCC controlled heaad/tail lights and proper NEM couplings.

• Like 1

I sincerely hope Hornby are working on a Cl.86 or Cl.87...It will be a shame if two manufacturers end up with the same (Oxford and Hornby). But it's easy to predict the outcome on RMweb in a hypothetical situation wherein both Hornby and Oxford announce either a Cl.86 or a Cl.87...

- Hornby and Oxford announce the same loco (Cl.86/Cl.87)

- RMweb explodes with half accusing Hornby of duplicating, the other half will be overjoyed about it!

- Finally you'll get the ones with sense saying that both have worked on it for long so no one is duplicating anyone

- The models will release, Oxford will probably have a few niggles but that's okay. Hornby's will be marvellous and someone will have something bad to say.

In saying that, it would be nice if Hornby also give the re-engineering treatment to their own Class 87, Class 91 and Class 92, with a brand new chassis (mid-mounted motor like their Limby Class 67), more weight, DCC controlled heaad/tail lights and proper NEM couplings.

You forgot to add:

"Electrics don't sell, because xxx retailer is selling them two for one, and I had it confirmed by Felix the Huddersfield Station Cat who heard it from the junior office clerk at Hornby"

​"Why are Hornby/Oxford (delete as applicable) wasting money on these when everyone knows they should be making (insert class of pretty steamer as appropriate)"

"Why do people model such modern rubbish?"

It would be nice if someone would break cover soon and reveal their plans!

• RMweb Premium

The last batch made a few years back had an intercity version and all blue version. They sold slowly and both could be picked up for £40. The last one I saw on sale was at Invicta model railways which was all blue.

I am sure one of these or the Lima one will appear secondhand on a regular basis.

I am not sure I would place it on a diorama next to a Bachmann 85 as the Bachmann has lots of separate detail that the former Lima covers with moulded on detail and it is really noticeable on a static model.

I certainly think the Bachmann 85 is a class above the Hornby 87, but in the absence of other models the Hornby model is a good starting point. For those wanting to try upgrading a model, fit separate handrails, bogie detail, underframe detail etc then the Hornby model is affordable and the shape is good. I've seen some superb models based on the Lima & Hornby 87 models.

• RMweb Premium

Well the latest Engine Shed notes the need to present a full range so that something appeals to everyone, so I think the omens look good for an 86 or an 87 this year. Add to this DJM saying he wasn't progressing an 86 or 87 because there were two manufacturers working on both, then I think the announcement of the 2017 range could be pretty interesting

• Like 1

I read all this about a new model of a 87 with interest. I have to say that the limby 87 is a easy model to upgrade, and makes a good starting point for someone to practice detailing up.

Replace the bogies with ones off the class 90s. These are 44mm wheelbase, so 1mm too big, but better than the lima ones that are too short. The underframe details between the bogies looks well with the use of a file to remove the excess. SE fineclass glasing and some Heljan wipers for the windows, and wire for the handrails. Hornby class 56 round buffer to replace the originals. If done with care, you don`t even need to repaint the loco, just mask off the fronts and a quick spray with some halfords vauxhall yellow.

Just have a go. It is a easy way to increase your skills. And you can get the bits as spares to make this a cheap project.

I read all this about a new model of a 87 with interest. I have to say that the limby 87 is a easy model to upgrade, and makes a good starting point for someone to practice detailing up.

Replace the bogies with ones off the class 90s. These are 44mm wheelbase, so 1mm too big, but better than the lima ones that are too short. The underframe details between the bogies looks well with the use of a file to remove the excess. SE fineclass glasing and some Heljan wipers for the windows, and wire for the handrails. Hornby class 56 round buffer to replace the originals. If done with care, you don`t even need to repaint the loco, just mask off the fronts and a quick spray with some halfords vauxhall yellow.

Just have a go. It is a easy way to increase your skills. And you can get the bits as spares to make this a cheap project.

Shawplan do some bits which far surpass SE.

In recent times, Hornby have been announcing models for the year ahead, and then a few months later producing a long list of what won't appear until next year. The number of items in the 2016 range now put back to 2017 is almost a range in itself.

So the fact that a recent announcement has been withdrawn cannot be used as an indicator of what is being re-tooled.

The other side of the coin is that Dave Jones is very knowledgeable on what is going on with other manufacturers. His decision to not do the 86 and 87 will be based on hard facts.

All manufacturers play their cards very close to their chest at this time of year, and rarely let out what they will announce for the following year - Hornby are an exception this year with a gradual leaking of new items across their ranges.

Within the next couple of months, we should hear from all the manufacturers what they will have in their 2017 catalogues. I believe this includes Bachmann who are having their trade open days in early January, rather than the more usual middle of March.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

BR blue with cross arm pantograph, will this be the first OO model with a correct cross arm pan? Plenty of Japanese 1/80 models but previous UK models have just used standard diamond pantographs.

• Like 1

Brand new Hornby 87 announced today at the NEC.

Great news, thanks Hornby! 

For 2017 Hornby will be producing R3580 Class 87 87035 ‘Robert Burns’ in BR Rail Blue livery (with Cross Arm Pantograph) and R3582 Class 87 87010 ‘King Arthur’ in BR Intercity ‘Swallow’ logo livery (with High Speed Pantograph)

£170 each though.

post-29548-0-73938200-1480163246_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGP
  • Like 1

just copped the announcement from home watching the facebook release and apparently samples are already put out on the Hornby stand to view and pre-order.  sadly I cant get to the show today but might go tomorrow for a closer look.  the pantographs will get close scrutiny. lets hope they tooled for the various cab fronts and roofing equipment. 

never thought i say this but thanks Hornby.  finally one of their older electric models gets the treatment.

be good if anyone at the show is able to add some some photos of the 87 samples.  I don't care if the RRP is £169.99 I'm having one as the bare minimum.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Class-87-A-2.jpg

This picture is taken from a link from a trade e-mail we have just received.

Definitely a cross-arm pantograph, and the centre headlight is of the correct style too.

Noted as being for release in quarter 4 2017.

Someone please let Hornby know to get rid of the radio aerials on the cross-arm pan version...

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

I only collect prototypes and first of class so I will have to buy two for renumbering to 001 and 101. £170 each though is a bit steep for static shelf queens. Need unpowered versions for us that never put them on a powered track.