Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

Now that the model is hopefully just over a month from release I thought I'd better pose the question again to anyone who might be in the know. Having read the review in full in Hornby magazine it states that the Blue 87035 has a switch present to flit between Night & Day light running. However on Hattons website the description for 87010 in Intercity states that the user can manually switch the tail lights on/off. Please can anyone in the know shed any light on this? If there will not be a way to deactivate lights then I'll have to go down the road of DCC fitting & hardwiring the lights. Many thanks all, I wait in anticipation for this model.

Try sending Paul Isles a PM and he will reply in his free time. His user name is "Islesy"

• Like 1

I know the 87 model wont feature corridor lighting like the Bachmann Class 85 but I was told that with the cab interior lights on this will illuminate into the corridor but unless you have both cab lights on (which will look odd 99 times out of 100) I can only see one half of the corridor being lit (the half nearest to the cab with its light on).

Don't know about day and light modes - I didn't think the original 87s had such a feature.  Were all three front lights on ie; 2 x white side markers and the white central main?  (well warm white).

I know the 87 model wont feature corridor lighting like the Bachmann Class 85 but I was told that with the cab interior lights on this will illuminate into the corridor but unless you have both cab lights on (which will look odd 99 times out of 100) I can only see one half of the corridor being lit (the half nearest to the cab with its light on).

Don't know about day and light modes - I didn't think the original 87s had such a feature.  Were all three front lights on ie; 2 x white side markers and the white central main?  (well warm white).

I think the central headlight switched on independently, I've seen photos from the BR Blue period with the white side markers on, but headlight off

Back in the good old days of regular 87 haulage on Virgin West coast, there was certainly no difference between day & night time lights. The 2 markers & centre headlight were always illuminated no matter what time of day. Some drivers when arriving at a station would occasionally knock the centre light off whilst standing in the platform but under normal circumstances both left & right markers plus the centre light were illuminated when the 87 was leading.

• RMweb Gold

Back in the good old days of regular 87 haulage on Virgin West coast, there was certainly no difference between day & night time lights. The 2 markers & centre headlight were always illuminated no matter what time of day. Some drivers when arriving at a station would occasionally knock the centre light off whilst standing in the platform but under normal circumstances both left & right markers plus the centre light were illuminated when the 87 was leading.

I believe the centre headlight came on when the reverser was moved away from off. 

Andi

• Like 1

ok so its sounds like it might be a nice little feature if the model can be controlled the same way.

think I have found  home for my short plank diorama on the window sill of the spare bedroom affording great natural daylight for some good photos......must dust down the Class 85 and get some peco bullhead track next.......and a coach or two.

I believe the centre headlight came on when the reverser was moved away from off. 

Andi

As 87s had headlights from new, you may well be right. I know on 86s this doesn't apply, of course 86s were retrofitted like everything else from that era.

As 87s had headlights from new, you may well be right. I know on 86s this doesn't apply, of course 86s were retrofitted like everything else from that era.

From memory and looking at a few photos of class 87. All the class had the original flush fitted headlamp removed and the standard retro light fitted sometime in the 90s

Well like I said above, they'll probably have an earlier production slot and then once it reaches their warehouse they'll say it's arrived earlier than planned.

wheres the benefit in saying its arrived earlier after originally saying it was due July 2018 anyway.  bar the paint I don't see the VT one being any different from the IC version.

Andi

would it also have gone off when coasting into a station by any chance? The reverser would still have been on 'forward' for that though wouldn't it?

• RMweb Gold

would it also have gone off when coasting into a station by any chance? The reverser would still have been on 'forward' for that though wouldn't it?

in the days before speed sensing was fitted there was nothing to stop the driver putting the loco into "neutral" while coasting to give his feet a rest from the deadmans pedal.

Andi

We asked about a limited edition 87 from Hornby. We are politely declined, and told to keep an eye on future Hornby main range announcements in the future. Hornby's decision was not taken because they are not doing special commissions.

did you have a version in mind or was it early generic enquiries? if so can you divulge the chosen LE you was hoping for?

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

did you have a version in mind or was it early generic enquiries? if so can you divulge the chosen LE you was hoping for?

If I'm not mistaken, 87006 City of Glasgow in Black with large logo was hinted at somewhere.

Just noticed that Hattons have got the relatively new LNER 2-8-0 freight kettle at just £89. Clear evidence that freight steam doesn't sell. :jester:

ha.....thats made my day!

If I'm not mistaken, 87006 City of Glasgow in Black with large logo was hinted at somewhere.

take my money!!

The Hornby Virgin DVT 82141 is now in stock in Hattons according to the email I just received, shame the matching 87 isn't yet!

It does give people some time to save. There's also the upcoming updated Hornby Virgin Mk.3 coaches and Oxford Rail's Virgin Mk.3 coaches, so lots to spend on for those who are buying them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Recently had a chat with the kind folk at Hornby and I asked about the Class 87s. The Class 87s are delayed because Hornby is having a little trouble with the supplier for a certain component.

I do hope they manage to resolve the issue with the supplier. Either way it's just a model train and a delay causes no harm.

I'm glad Hornby were open enough to admit that. I'm sure the Class 87 will be well worth the wait.

• RMweb Premium

Recently had a chat with the kind folk at Hornby and I asked about the Class 87s. The Class 87s are delayed because Hornby is having a little trouble with the supplier for a certain component.

I do hope they manage to resolve the issue with the supplier. Either way it's just a model train and a delay causes no harm.

I'm glad Hornby were open enough to admit that. I'm sure the Class 87 will be well worth the wait.

Interesting and I too would sympathise except that according to the website the 87s "are already on their way by sea or air", so in theory completed and shipped... and have been for some time.

Edited by brushman47544

These are just model trains?  Never !  Who knew eh here on RMWeb?   

Regarding the delay, until the first version in BR Blue finally arrives I am not counting my chickens.  They seem to be getting pushed back a few times these 87s.

Ive not heard anybody up in arms that the pan will be non DCC unlike the Bachmann 90.   It doesn't bother me particularly as its one less thing to go wrong I guess.  Maybe some of the brainier modellers will borrow some similar parts and cobble up their own raising and lowering pan on the 87.