Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

The roof oil tank on 87101 is different to the others in being in a different position on the roof nearer the non pan end, and it is mounted the from the left to right on the roof rather than the usual arrangement where it goes in line with the pantograph. I have just looked at the Hornby magazine video, and it mentions a day and night setting for the lights. Of the 87s I route learned the wcml all those years back,it was pretty basic marker lights and the headlight. If you were in a yard it was marker lights only and if you were on the mainline it was headlights on whatever the time of day. Could anyone clarify what exactly they mean?

i dont know if the arrangement changed with the introduction of the square high intensity headlight ie; whether it was independent from the two markers but I think Hornbys own take is in terms of what lighting you get when running on DC via the switch underneath.    D=front and rear markers and N=front and rear markers plus interior cab lights plus the large central headlight.   I am hoping on DCC all functions can be controlled independently.   They never ran around with the central headlight on and both cab lights illuminated !

i dont know if the arrangement changed with the introduction of the square high intensity headlight ie; whether it was independent from the two markers but I think Hornbys own take is in terms of what lighting you get when running on DC via the switch underneath. D=front and rear markers and N=front and rear markers plus interior cab lights plus the large central headlight. I am hoping on DCC all functions can be controlled independently. They never ran around with the central headlight on and both cab lights illuminated !

That makes sense if it's stabled at a depot markers and tails. Agree about the cab lights though.

i dont know if the arrangement changed with the introduction of the square high intensity headlight ie; whether it was independent from the two markers but I think Hornbys own take is in terms of what lighting you get when running on DC via the switch underneath. D=front and rear markers and N=front and rear markers plus interior cab lights plus the large central headlight. I am hoping on DCC all functions can be controlled independently. They never ran around with the central headlight on and both cab lights illuminated !

As stated earlier up the thread, the original came on when the reverser was moved forwards. I remember sitting in my Dad's car on the raised level of the car park nr the west end of Rugby station, and the light coming on was a sign that the train was about to depart.

As for the lighting functions, it would need some degree of re-wiring with the 8-pin socket as supplied....

Edited by 298

• RMweb Gold

Well ive given in and bought two - these will be resprayed into original Inter City Executive Livery and Caledonian Sleeper livery - just hope the detailing parts are easier to remove than the latest Bachmann 37s where someone was very heavy handed with the glue ......

• Like 1

Just had a telephone call from my local model shop this morning telling me that although limited supplies have arrived at some model shops this morning, his delivery will not arrive until early November as, according to Hornby, it is in the "main batch".

It was good of him to advise me of the situation. I will stick with him and wait till then for my two.

i was going to get myself up to RAILS tomorrow and collect mine in person as I feel this is probably the model I have waited for the most so is very special to me but theres no guarantee it would be there today or that they have the time to open up all the boxes and do the order allocations.  so i'll save on petrol and sit tight and get in posted but would love to hear from anybody else who does pick theirs up today or tomorrow.

I wanted to do a You Tube box opening review but I dare say others will get to do theirs first.

Hattons website shows all 3 87s are available to pre-order. Which would indicate that their initial delivery has sold out.

Photos on Rails of Sheffield site look good.

Considering many of us have pre-ordered, that means Hornby's initial batch was not sufficient to meet guaranteed demand.

& they wonder why their finances are poor.  :scratchhead:

Second batch is only 8 or 9 weeks away.

The main thing is that hopefully the 87 gets plenty of sales, which then may lead to an 86.

Edit: My local shop tells me that both the blue and IC will definitely be in the second batch.

Edited by cravensdmufan

Just a heads up that these seem to be flying out of retailers.

I was going to order from Rails last night but forgot, this morning the price upped to £139 from. £129, but they had all sold out before I could place an order.

None at Hattons.

Luckily I found the blue one R3580 in stock at Derails and ordered it.

Only other place I can find one now is Kernow, and they are down to 9 in stock as I type this.

There’s no guarantee that there are any more BR Blue ones in the November batch, so if you really want one I would order now.

Says me who has missed out on many fine items by not preordering, Pecketts, SIr William Stanier.......,

Edited by AshleyH

• RMweb Premium

Hattons website shows all 3 87s are available to pre-order. Which would indicate that their initial delivery has sold out.

Photos on Rails of Sheffield site look good.

Or Hatton's hasn't received their yet (the photo of the blue one is from the Hornby website)? Rails seems to have sold out now, but Kernow MRC's newsletter arrived this morning and says they have both the BR Blue and Intercity versions in stock.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just collected my two pre-ordered 87s from a certain shop in Sheffield and aboard a train home following a work meeting. I’ll hope to take a few pictures when home a bit later. They do look good though .... I couldn’t wait for them to be posted!

Good timing as well as it’s my wife’s birthday in a few weeks ...

• Like 2

Just picked mine up from Crafty Hobbies in Barrow. Here she is posing on Parrot Hall under the wires -

post-8271-0-23889800-1535729061_thumb.jpg

John has two of the blue and two IC ones left if anyone is still after one. Looks good so far, and the roof is the same on both versions apart from the pans. Now to take it to bits and see how easy sound fitting is! Kev.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Both 87s are now unboxed and work perfectly, very smooth runners and good turn of speed. I can’t see any quality control issues - both look lovely models - really pleased. Hopefully attached are a few pictures, to show them well protected in the box, the bag of goodies (including etched plates) the underside to show the day-night switch also an action shot to show the front lights.

The Brecknell Willis pantograph detaches itself easily (useful while getting the poseable height setting correct - oops!

post-10765-0-55927600-1535733642_thumb.jpeg

post-10765-0-17888100-1535733668_thumb.jpeg

post-10765-0-89102700-1535733683_thumb.jpeg

post-10765-0-61865400-1535733775_thumb.jpeg

post-10765-0-71511000-1535734087_thumb.jpeg

post-10765-0-51254000-1535734102_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

I was going to order from Rails last night but forgot, this morning the price upped to £139 from. £129, but they had all sold out before I could place an order.

Flippin 'eck, looks like my insomnia did me a favour the other night when I ordered 3 blue and 2 IC from the Sheffield emporium in the small hours!  Just had an e-mail to say they have been dispatched.  I think Dolgellau will have some very odd locos on test at next Saturday's meeting!

This sort of sales activity must be good news for a follow on 86 and finally put the rotting corpse of the go-to comment for Kettleistas that "electrics won't sell" firmly back in it's coffin.

• Like 2