Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

Here's mine with matching DVT 82 123. I really hope Hornby release this again next year to complement Bachmann's 90. It might not be too unrealistic given that they're bringing back the Swallow HST and already have re-released the Virgin mk3 DVT

post-22763-0-27620900-1536258211_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, Hornby rep said at Warley that it will have the usual close coupling mech :(

Andi

Just wondering if Hornby have used their coupling cam mechanism on the 87?  Those ones that caused much trouble with classes 50, 56, 60 etc

If so, are there still problems with leading coaches / wagons derailing?

And, with 87 010, what's it like propelling a rake of coaches and a DVT?

Just wondering if Hornby have used their coupling cam mechanism on the 87?  Those ones that caused much trouble with classes 50, 56, 60 etc

Seems fine, although I do want to change the rake into having kadees as I've found them to be much more reliable with both my Class 67 and 68 + DVT rakes.

• RMweb Gold

Just wondering if Hornby have used their coupling cam mechanism on the 87? Those ones that caused much trouble with classes 50, 56, 60 etc

Yes it does have the normal close coupling mech. I can’t comment on the operation of it as I don’t have the layout up at the moment so haven’t had a chance to run it yet. I tend to remove these mechs anyway as they are not compatible with my own coupling systems.

Andi

techie question - On Robert Burns, with nighttime running, I'm getting 3 tail lights on, but only at one end.   DCC via a Hattons chip.  Anyone else have this??    Decoder issue? - wrong way around?

3 tail lights on at one end ! something odd going on there, or do you mean 2 at one and 1 at the other end - at the same time ? you sure they all tail lights ? as it's possible the light is bleeding into one of the marker lights -   try fitting the 8pin decoder plug the other way around, normally if the plug is fitted wrong way round you'd get no lights at all ? 

Edited by tractor_37260

techie question - On Robert Burns, with nighttime running, I'm getting 3 tail lights on, but only at one end.   DCC via a Hattons chip.  Anyone else have this??    Decoder issue? - wrong way around?

I presume you mean red light showing through the headlight?

If so i had this. I think either check the small part with the LEDs is firmly down in it's holder or the body of the loco is firmly pushed down onto the chassis. I did these fixes at the same time and one of them solved it.

I presume you mean red light showing through the headlight?

If so i had this. I think either check the small part with the LEDs is firmly down in it's holder or the body of the loco is firmly pushed down onto the chassis. I did these fixes at the same time and one of them solved it.

Thanks.  I'll have a look at the body fit.  If I remember, after putting the decoder in, it was a bit of a struggle to clip the body back down.  Will post how I get on

This one isnt on..

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_87#/media/File%3A87028_Crewe_1988.jpg

( I seem to have a recollection they were only used when moving, not sure if i’m Confusing a childhood memory with a trainset though ;-)

Your correct the headlight illuminates only when the reverser is in the forward position, it also extinguishes briefly when passing through a neutral section when the APC's trip the ABB.   

• RMweb Premium

I like this model, it captures the look of the Class 87 beautifully IMO and just looks right (to my eyes at least). Well done Hornby for giving us the model that this class has been crying out for (even if the old Limby model can scrub up well with some work).

On the circuit breaker on the roof, is that not a disconnector rather than a circuit breaker? I'd be amazed if something like that was rated to make and break circuit while energised, but I may be wrong as I'm no train expert.

I assume you mean photograph ha ha

The Air Blast circuit breaker or ABB is circled in red like I say it's modeled open if it was closed it would be vertical

I am almost certain thats the earthing switch for the loco, that should always be in that position when pan raised i.e. open. When closed it earths the loco basically and can only be closed when the pantograph is lowered and isolated - mechanically interlocked i.e. pan cannot be up with that closed and locked off - In theory! The purpose is to protect any staff working on any of the electrical circuits, certainly on the primary and secondry side of the transformer - therefore if somehow power managed to reach the pantograph, the overhead would trip due to a direct earth.So the model is correct with it open.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

The air-blast circuit breaker is enclosed within the dome-ended fitting in the centre of the roof with the horizontal insulator. Compressed air is piped to it from within the locomotive. The two cranked bars are manually operated safety earthing straps for the supply bus-bar from the pantograph and the output bus-bar from the air-blast breaker to the transformer inside the body.

Hope this helps.

SWFRS

Edited by sirwilliamfrs

All this talk of whether the Air Blast Circuit Breaker is in the correct position is insignificant & 'rivet counting' to the extreme compared with this excellent model not having a metal sprung pantograph to raise & be in contact with the OLE as in real life.  Those without OLE could keep it clipped down.

Also, it is pathetic & laughable when reading comments that the 'pantograph' can easily be knocked off!   Sorry Hornby but 10 out of 10 for the actual model but 0 out of 10 for the pantograph.

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle
  • Like 1

To be fair, both the Hornby pans look superb! They just don't 'work'. The Bachmann 90 pan works, but is wrong, it has an extra arm which shouldn't be there, take your choice! As for me, I'll be fitting a Hurst Models hi-speed. Kev.

• Like 1

id have the 90 pan anyday over the Hornby item.  even if they sell them as spare wont it be servo only operation?  is there room in the 87? .

i am surprised about the manual circuit breaker detail on the roof being modelled in the open position ( i know maybe when the pan is up it has been modelled correclly as open but to me its just 2 more additional bits of plastic that are exposed to being snapped off accidentally).

its 50/50 and i guess the real answer is that these arent toys and need to be handled really carefully.  I think it was moulded in the closed position on the Lima models wasn't it as one piece?

I wonder still what the hold up was that Hornby reported in terms of part or parts on the 87???

Also, it is pathetic & laughable when reading comments that the 'pantograph' can easily be knocked off!   Sorry Hornby but 10 out of 10 for the actual model but 0 out of 10 for the pantograph.

Peter

I'd agree that Hornby haven't exactly thought through the Pantograph or spares provision thereof. But as proven earlier in the thread, it is useful to have a Pan detach itself from the roof should it snag in the overhead, rather than cause additional damage.

• RMweb Premium

On the spare pantograph question, here is an example of a company that clearly see's it as being worth making an effort to sell their (superbly done) pantograph models separately (and at surprisingly modest cost given just how good they are):

http://www.lemodels.it/en/spare-parts/

Interestingly, I have heard LE evolved out of Hornby's former Italian design team when they decided to close it (though I can't vouch for that).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. Could I ask what decoder people haev used on the 87's? I am using a Hattons 8 pin harness and am having real difficlulty in positioning it so that the bodyshell fits back on. 

As I mentioned earlier on I've used a Hattons 8-pin Direct decoder.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Your correct the headlight illuminates only when the reverser is in the forward position, it also extinguishes briefly when passing through a neutral section when the APC's trip the ABB.

Thanks for confirming my memory is not yet too old to be confusing !!

I had this memory from Preston Station circa 1979... i’d Be 4 years old, same day as I saw 40106 in Green and my dad asked me outright if I wanted to start collecting numbers, at which I said yes... so he bought me the Ian Allen loco shed book with 40106 on the cover.. which added to the occasion as I was looking at 40106 at the time... it wasn’t just random being at the station... it was the only time I saw an APT moving under its own power... raison d’etre the visit.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

To be fair, both the Hornby pans look superb! They just don't 'work'. The Bachmann 90 pan works, but is wrong, it has an extra arm which shouldn't be there, take your choice! As for me, I'll be fitting a Hurst Models hi-speed. Kev.

If you can get one? (or have stock) Hurst seems to be an ex business?