Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

Just thought I would clear some confusion...

The 2 bars you can see on the roof are not the ABB, they are the earth switch. This is connected to a lever inside and can be pushed on and padlocked while work is underway to ensure nothing in the locomotive is live. This is correctly in the 'off' position on the model.

The ABB is located next to the earth switch and is a bar connected to an insulator that springs across. This isn't present on the model.

The centre headlight on the later version is a typical BR high-intensity 12v headlight and has its own in-cab switch. This can be left on regardless of whether the loco is in forward or not, as it runs off the auxilliary battery circuits. Pre-1980s this was not the case however and I cannot give any info on exactly how they worked, all I know is they used to have their own MCB on the battery panel.

I can tell you this with confidence as I have been electrically and cosmetically restoring 87035 in Crewe for the past year.

• Like 6

Got my intercity 87 today. Only intended to get a Virgin one, but I couldn't resist!

The good:

> Paintwork is great - it's also a more accurate shade than I had thought from pics

> Lovely smooth running

> Excellent underframe and bogie detail

> Pantograph looks good

Some not so good...

> The battery box was loose and one of the guard irons was damaged

> No overhead warning flashes

> The body on mine is bowed out in the middle on both sides, so the middle body clips don't clip into the chassis and it looks a little fat in the middle as a result

> Pantograph is useless for running on my OLE

> The lighting is frustrating - I said to Hornby very early on that it would be useful to be able to turn off one end of the lights, but sadly that's not happened

> Still not convinced by the roundness of the front, which is strange given that the model was laser scanned. It's certainly got a more rounded front than the Lima 87, Hornby 86, or Heljan 86.

> Top speed seems more like 70mph scale than 110mph

Very happy overall and looking forward to 87019. Maybe Hornby will do a few updates on that version to really exploit the full potential of the model. Bring on the rumoured 86!

I don't think 87010 carried warning flashes in "Intercity"livery...Have a look on Flicker

Dave Hudson shared a photo with you from the Flickr app. Check it out:

https://flic.kr/p/pJSptY

Looks like it did. I would be surprised if any locos were allowed to go without the flashes

Edit - You're right, it looks like it hasn't got any in some photos

Edited by daveahudson

As I mentioned earlier on I've used a Hattons 8-pin Direct decoder.

Keith

Thanks Keith, much obliged. I had a spare 8-pin one with the harness and it is possible that where the harness plugs into the actual decoder is a bit bulky for the space. 

• RMweb Gold

The picture of the real thing on Hornby’s website shows it didn’t...

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/locomotives-by-class/class-87.html

Quite surprised by that, but it appears to be true to the prototype.

I assume that’s because there is no footsteps to allow someone to climb on the roof. (Most ohle warnings are by steps or grab irons for accessing higher parts of a locomotive).

Edited by adb968008

> The lighting is frustrating - I said to Hornby very early on that it would be useful to be able to turn off one end of the lights, but sadly that's not happened

That is informative but not good news. I am still waiting for my 87s but I had my suspicions on seeing a picture showing only one switch underneath the model. However good or otherwise the model is, I don’t think it is acceptable nowadays to have a bright red glow lighting up the leading coach or both cablights coming on together (if that is the case). Has anyone who has fitted a decoder found the lights to be more controllable?

I don't think 87010 carried warning flashes in "Intercity"livery...Have a look on Flicker

I'm sure I read somewhere that until the mid 90s OHL locos didn't have to run with warning stickers, only diesel and steamers did. Bit of an odd regulation, but there you go

For some reason 87 101 was the only one ISTR prior to Railtrack coming in to being, then they all got them! Mine is coming back together, the PCB has gone to make some room for a big speaker and the lights reduced to just the front 3 whites. Wired backwards, thanks Hornby! Kev.

are the 4 function Hornby R8249 decoders a good buy?

I used to feel that they were good value when decoders with better features were 3x their price.

Zimo's MX600 now costs about 1/4 more, has better motor control & supports advanced consisting. These may not be an issue in the class 87, but may become desirable if you want to move the decoder to a different loco in the future.

On DC, the cab lights only come on in direction of travel and that is only if switched to night. In day mode there is no cab lights on at all.

Thank you. I suppose a cab light coming on only in the direction of travel is better than both coming on at once. Some limited progress!

im womdering if it easier to get a Bachmann PCB as a donor and fit that with 21 pin.  it might need trimming to fit but surely this would solve the lighting control issues.    you cant cab lights separate both ends switchable tail lights front markers separate to the central light too.  not ideal just an idea.  dont even know if that would work TBH but would have though a repplacement PCB would be quite cheap...

The new Hornby class 87.

Very nice. A quick few photos before it's off to the paint stripping bath!!

42803939080_cdbbe3f33b_o.jpgDSC_0001 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

29675890817_e2688e0439_o.jpgDSC_0005 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

42803938780_a45efcd17c_o.jpgDSC_0009 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

42803938630_fc646044fb_o.jpgDSC_0012 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

29675890197_bddeb72316_o.jpgDSC_0017 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

29675889927_510846315f_o.jpgDSC_0020 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

• Like 5

The new Hornby class 87.

Very nice. A quick few photos before it's off to the paint stripping bath!!

42803939080_cdbbe3f33b_o.jpgDSC_0001 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

29675890817_e2688e0439_o.jpgDSC_0005 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

42803938780_a45efcd17c_o.jpgDSC_0009 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

42803938630_fc646044fb_o.jpgDSC_0012 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

29675890197_bddeb72316_o.jpgDSC_0017 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

29675889927_510846315f_o.jpgDSC_0020 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

What's it being repainted into Lee?

One thing that I have just pondered on, whilst looking at those close up shots. How come in the year we are in, do we still have printed on nameplates as standard?

Given that a lot of modellers would not want to repaint/spray or have the facilities/skill to do so, they are left with no choice. Given Railtecs excellent 3d printed plates, would it really add much to the cost for that type of plate to be produced? Incidentally, this is not just Hornby I'm on about, it's most of the major manufacturers.

cheers

Andy

That is informative but not good news. I am still waiting for my 87s but I had my suspicions on seeing a picture showing only one switch underneath the model. However good or otherwise the model is, I don’t think it is acceptable nowadays to have a bright red glow lighting up the leading coach or both cablights coming on together (if that is the case). Has anyone who has fitted a decoder found the lights to be more controllable?

Hornby use 8-pin decoder sockets, which doesn't provide the necessary function outputs to make things "more controllable" out of the box.

Evening all. Could I ask what decoder people haev used on the 87's? I am using a Hattons 8 pin harness and am having real difficlulty in positioning it so that the bodyshell fits back on. 

I'm using an ESU LokSound V4, which is about the biggest package size there is...

There is space under the PCB on the non-speaker side, provided you're frugal with the glue/tak and spend a little time clearing the wires from the motor that's right below it.

Another option for a smaller decoder would be the gap on the side between the motor and body panel.

But for sure, alas, this is a second model in a row from Hornby (after the IEP) without sufficient decoder space provisioning.

Re: common negative wiring

Can some one who knows about these explain the problems this causes? My early thoughts for an initial basic fix were to try and re-wire the headlights to come on with the marker lights and have the night mode just for switching on the cab light. Obviously this doesn't solve the rear lights coming on all the time!

Decoder outputs are common-positive, with the function output on the negative end.

When the LED circuit board in the model is wired common-negative instead, there's no "easier" way to control each LED individually; since the negative output from the function would have to go to the common for all of the LEDs on that board.

You really have to rip all the boards and PCBs out and redo every piece of wiring to each LED from scratch…. at least on this model, getting the PCB out of the way would be an improvement.